2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

HHR SS won't start after Trifecta tune - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM

HHR SS won't start after Trifecta tune - RESOLVED!

I just tried to upload the budget tune emailed to me but there is a major issue.

I followed all directions and everything seemed to go normally. After the upload completed, the car won't start .... just lots of clicking noises and dash lights flashing.

I then tried to return the vehicle to the factory tune and the same thing happens.

I'm screwed as this HHR is my main means of transportation.

Any suggestions? Please respond ASAP as this is an emergency as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by djbartu; 06-12-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: problem resolved
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

I would try to reload the trifecta tune, like it didn't happen. Not like it could get worse. Did you do the trany tune at the end ?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Any chance you let the battery drain down while doing the download?
I would check the voltage and make sure it's fully charged.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by djbartu
I just tried to upload the budget tune emailed to me but there is a major issue.

I followed all directions and everything seemed to go normally. After the upload completed, the car won't start .... just lots of clicking noises and dash lights flashing.

I then tried to return the vehicle to the factory tune and the same thing happens.

I'm screwed as this HHR is my main means of transportation.

Any suggestions? Please respond ASAP as this is an emergency as far as I'm concerned.
hope you have figured out but
if you have not done so already Try and get a hold of Vince from Trifecta
or email
steven@wot-tuning.com
Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Yes..clicking noise and flashy lights are a good indicator that the batt is run down....give it a recharge and try again
The tune should only affect the motor while running.. not starting.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.

Steven Weller from WOT got back to me quickly stating it was a battery issue. So firemangeorge and IgottaWoody, you were also correct.

That was it ... low battery. I wouldn't have guessed that. In my years of experience working with older cars (I'm talking from the 60's and 70's), when a battery goes, the car just cranks slow or nothing at all. I panicked when the clicking and flashing happened right after I uploaded the Trifecta tune. I was sure I messed up the vehicle's programming. Now, once the battery is replaced, I'll reload the tune and take the SS for a test drive.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM

I found that by accident too...was sound deadening the rear and the hatch was open awhile....was concerned about this on my reflash too.....made sure lights,radio, heater fan and int lights were off.. my batt is five years old
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

I got in the habit of turning the headlights off while loading a tune, it takes long enough for the drls to run down the battery, sorry been a long time since I loaded one I forgot.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 PM

With a charged battery, the Trifecta tune uploaded effortlessly. I only took the SS for a short drive to make sure everything was working properly (and it is). Tomorrow I'll give it more of a real "test drive"! I'll post my results and opinions.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Your name looks familiar, did you buy your tune from us? You could have called or emailed us directly, we are Trifecta's largest dealer and have a ton of experience troubleshooting these things.

Quick Reply: HHR SS won't start after Trifecta tune - HELP!