2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

I installed my very first ricer mod today and I love it......

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM

I installed my very first ricer mod today and I love it......

Lol, well I call it a ricer mod because it is debatable whether it hurts performance, helps performance, or just doesn't affect it at all, but it really sounds cool!

I found some nylon spacers at Lowe's and cut them down to the right hieght to space up my airbox lid. So far I am watching my fuel trims and they both seem to be the same as before. Next, I am going to switch to watching my ait's to see just how bad it is sucking in hot air. I am betting that it will be just fine until it gets really hot out.

I keep wanting to buy the Dejon cai for the sound but it kills me to think I would be spending good money to suck in hot air just for the car to sound cool. I think I may have just cured my problem. To beat it all, I think it cost me $3 and I can remove 6 screws and return it back to sealed when it gets hot.

Ok, now make fun of me for liking cool turbo sounds at the cost of an efficient airbox setup. Has anyone else done this?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

No I haven't even thought of that but if you look at the back of mine you will see I'm a sucker for what sounds cool too so dont feel too bad.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 AM

I've had mine spaced up for quite awhile now, and it's not throwing any codes.
Mine is spaced up 3/4" in front and 1/4" in the rear. You can hear the BOV a lot better. Looking at the air flow under the hood, it's got to help some, especially after I trimed up the air deflector over the radiator to get more airflow under the hood,[another free mod].
Just in case you have'nt noticed, the HHR hood is not sealed on the sides, so lots of the hot air gets vented to the back of the compartment and out the side of the hood, and against the firewall and out the bottom. From over the radiator back to the airbox, there is'nt much hot air to deal with.`Much cheaper than a CAI, and might work just as good. Sure sounds wicked too.
"Moon"
Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
No I haven't even thought of that but if you look at the back of mine you will see I'm a sucker for what sounds cool too so dont feel too bad.
I'm digging the dual exhaust, how much did it cost? And any loss in power?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 AM

I'll post a photoshop later, I have a bunch of design meetings today for upcomming shows... But I have been working on an idea of mounting a wide slew from radiator to front of box. Like I said I'll try and post a pic later. SInce I put on HANN's pipes you can really hear the BCV, but I'm liking the raised roof thingy. Post later. Moonsign, OVERBOOST... post a pic please.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 AM

Reminds me of the old days we would turn air breather lid upside down to get that 4 Barrel sound. Nice mod, would have saved me little to get that sound/music. I have not had my air intake off yet or I might have thought of something like that..lol ..doubt it!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:56 PM

I put the lid down when the weather is bad around here[like raining]. Soon as weather gets better, I'll raise it back up, and howl, then take some pics.
The slew thingy, from the radiator to airbox, can be a easy mod. Just trim the back lip off the radiator air deflector, and it's a straight shot to the airbox. Also working on a mod to make hood scoop mate up to modded airbox, in the spring. "Moon"
Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Tuanies
I'm digging the dual exhaust, how much did it cost? And any loss in power?
Guess I was backed in at Gariots. You didn't see it. Been a while since I did it, think the total was around 500, my mechanic dude referred me to a good guy to do the welding. he did good even made the flow the same on both sides. Since I did the upper mount already, and still looking for more traction( LSD) the power wasn't changed seems about the same .
Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 AM

hmm interesting...i might have to try this...i like cool turbo sounds... :)
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

Me too!

Originally Posted by retrolled
Reminds me of the old days we would turn air breather lid upside down to get that 4 Barrel sound. Nice mod, would have saved me little to get that sound/music. I have not had my air intake off yet or I might have thought of something like that..lol ..doubt it!
Yah I did this mod on my mom's Celica & it made it sound good. I later pulled one of the mufflers off & it sounded great (until my mom drove it & told me to put the muffler back on).

Quick Reply: I installed my very first ricer mod today and I love it......