2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Installing an Oil Catch Can

Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 AM

I emailed ZZP my concerns having blocked port 1 and only using port 2. Here is their response.

"When the pcv system is stock, air enters the crankcase from the line in the middle of the head (the one that gets plugged.) Then it is drawn into the motor through the pcv valve in the intake manifold. This is only during vacuu m s ituations. When you boost, the pcv valve closes and the crankcase ventilates out both hoses into the intake tube and turbo. When we tried to run the stock hose only, it would cause squeaky noises because there was too much vacuum in the crankcase. Switching out to a larger hose cured that problem.
If you can run both hoses, it certainly wont hurt anything. It may provide a little more breathing capability for the engine in long term boosting. "

Now I'm wondering where this elusive pcv valve is in the intake manifold?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:12 PM

I've looked for it myself. Please let me know where and if you find it. I'm thinking we ought to put a vacuum pump on it and and call it a day.

Speaking of torque steer, do you have a LSD? If you do good, you ought to try driving one without the LSD, well let me back up. You don't really drive it you sort of point it and hope it goes in the intended direction.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 PM

No LSD for 08 (not for mine anyway) I belive LSD was introduced in the 09SS with the brembo option. Yes I point and shoot to. My trans still has 139k, nothing I can do about that. I'm scouring the local boneyards for a 45E with an LSD. I want to have it built and ready for when inevitably the trans will break. And it will, that or an axle.

I'll try and get some more info outta ZZP about this "intake manifold" pcv! I've been all through the top end. I've been all through the intake...I'm not seeing it!

But as long as the engine is running the intake tube is always under vacuum. I'm hoping T-ing off both ports will keep everything flowing.

I'll go out at break and see what's in the can. I've driven about 100 miles so far. Still taking it easy...if I punch it I keep tossing the clamp over the IC. I hairsprayed, cranked it, doesn't matter. I'll get some pics over in my Overboard thread. Don't want to clog up catch cans with turbo piping.

It just don't fit. I'm probably going to cut it(!!! Just powdercoated !!!) and use another coupler to get the fit right.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
Wouldn't want that! (More pressure in the crankcase) I think there might be barely enough room to squeeze in a -10 T into the turbo return. Which would be great, now I'll need to fit a check in there too. I'll do some research, we have tons of misc air/oil separators at work. Need an M20 check probably to fit.

I'm definitely going to replumb the #1 port. I'm going to have to do some adapting but I'll use PCV valve again. Because I see no real reason to block port 1 at all. Other than wastegate clearance, and to ease ZZP's headaches. They were even kind enough to send the 3/8 plug I stuck in there.

@Dr.Loch - Hairspray! Worked like a charm, got everything settled and pulls to 24lbs. Without the wastegate opening like crazy, now with the 23.6 lb spring it's a monster. I did a ridiculous pull from 2nd to about 75 getting on the freeway (same way I popped it last night) Just amazing, torque steer is my next issue! (Here's looking at you TTR!)

Thank goodness the wife is not fan of the highway! For her it's all 0-40 and traction control keeps her straight.

True! I'm not highway ready, yet. However, I've found a place where I can put my foot down and go 0-50, when there's no traffic. The traction control will be my friend. I'm just not used to a car like this....yet!
Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 AM

Well with no LSD and any sort of decent tune expect to change the left half shaft as well as the control arm bushing. In my case the clutch is shot as well, I now have a passing gear in 4th and 5th when the boost comes in.... gotta love the smell, it's a guy thing.

As far as a LSD this is what I'll be going too Quaife LSD Chevrolet Cobalt HHR Saturn Redline 2005-10 2.0L.

As far as the half shafts... I've found a source locally although if both sides are pulling they should last longer, hopefully.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:48 PM

Yeah the motor is good to 450hp, more if I go with forged internals. I'll need to beef what I can throughout the drivetrain. Looking into that Quafie unit! Nice

Found the elusive intake pcv! Imagine that, right between 2-3

So this is ZZP's explanation;

" Metered air enters the port on the middle of the valve cover. It flows down through the crankcase. The PCV valve is in the middle of the intake manifold where is meets the head. The intake has to be removed to get to it. When the PCV closes under boost, crankcase pressure pushes out both hoses and into the intake and turbo. The turbo is supposed to draw some vacuum at this point, but I don’t know if it does. "

Like I said, I think as long as the engine is running the intake tube is a vacuum.

Thoughts...

Last edited by Dbeluscak; 08-07-2015 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Can never get the text size right! Ever!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM

So they hid it in plain site if the intake is off.

Based on that information is there a way to add the/a PCV external from the manifold?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:55 PM

I doubt it, without LOTS of hard work. So, it sounds like when we're under boost my setup is fine.
What I'm wondering is when we're under vac..which is most of the time while cruising. Where does that get to? I really have no way of "catching" in the charge piping? It's not going to get to the catch can.

More research to follow!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:15 PM

Certainly makes it much easier when you have one to look at.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:31 PM

Oh my, this reference motor is the best! I wish I had taken more pcv system pics though. From what I've gathered on the Powell setup I'll need to tap a port into my turbo for metered air through port #2. I'll have to take a look at the stock turbo.

I did find an old photo of the original setup. I was correct on the pcv in line, lucky guess or good memory...who knows. Where things get messy is when I read the email over from ZZP. He is claiming metered air enters through port 1 (center of VC), that's the opposite flow of the pcv! The metered air he's referring to is from the turbo housing, according to my pic, the turbo line goes to port 2.

I'm gonna hop over to CAT MAN's "Building a catch can for the SS" thread and see what he knows that I don't!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing an Oil Catch Can