2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

May sound dumb.....I'm just feeling my stage 1 is not....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 AM

May sound dumb.....I'm just feeling my stage 1 is not....

Not like when it was first done. I was getting 22-24 lbs nailing it off the line. Now I am getting 19-20(sometimes 17-19) and it bogs(By this ,it feels like it almost holds the power back ever so slightly) slightly going into second (Automatic). I posted this once before. My local Chevy tech(Who is a great tech) said its normal so you dont blow the trans. Doesnt sound right to me. I also dont remember it doing this the first week. I hear people getting 24-30 lbs. I am sure not. It's fast,donr get me wrong but it sure does not feel like day one. I am in the Northeast and its hot so that may have a lot to do with it.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:07 AM

When you first got the ST1 kit done, was the ambient temp and humidity outside colder/lower than it is currently?

If so, think about air density. "Cooler air is denser air, which means more oxygen, optimal combustion, and more power". You might be happy again in the fall.

This was a common occurence with turbocharged gasoline-powered aircraft. We preferred sport flying in early spring or late fall due to greater air density which resulted in more power/response.

I'm experiencing the same thing (up to 25/26lb when it was cooler, now down to 20/21lb in higher outside temps), but am not overly concerned about it.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Maybe thats it then. I'll try not obsess about it. Lol. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
Not like when it was first done. I was getting 22-24 lbs nailing it off the line. Now I am getting 19-20(sometimes 17-19) and it bogs(By this ,it feels like it almost holds the power back ever so slightly) slightly going into second (Automatic). I posted this once before. My local Chevy tech(Who is a great tech) said its normal so you dont blow the trans. Doesnt sound right to me. I also dont remember it doing this the first week. I hear people getting 24-30 lbs. I am sure not. It's fast,donr get me wrong but it sure does not feel like day one. I am in the Northeast and its hot so that may have a lot to do with it.
I feel exactly the same way about mine, it seems it just doesn't react and and have the oomph it did when I got it installed. At first if I hit the gas that sucker jumped and kept going, now it seems more sluggish, doesn't hit as hard, and doesn't get as high. Times don't do my theory or feelings any justice as it still runs the same as before at the track, so maybe the difference just isn't there as I'm used to it now, but it doesn't seem to run the same to me.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
Maybe thats it then. I'll try not obsess about it. Lol. Thanks for the reply.
I think this is the smart thing to do. I see too many here getting too focused on something they do no fully understand or have the facts on. I I have caught myself doing it too.

Also I have found the increase in power feel goes away some as you put more miles on as you get used to it. When you get the first boost in power you were driving one way and then when you get the new power you have to change the way you drive.

Yes there is a little less power in first. I have noticed that. It seems to ajust with the speed of the vehilcle.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 PM
00prowler

Its called getting used to it!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 PM

Another factor to consider..heat soak.... while running in temps for awhile, the IC gets heated up and you get that air density drop, its a real power robber. A bigger IC and uniform pipes wrapped help alot here. Hotter air equates to more of a detonation problem, thus reduced timing and power.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 AM

my friends bone stock cobalt beats my stage1 at the track by almost 1/2 second, shouldnt it be the other way around
Old 07-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by skimike
my friends bone stock cobalt beats my stage1 at the track by almost 1/2 second, shouldnt it be the other way around
No, the Cobalt weighs 400lbs less and is more aerodynamic.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by skimike
Are you manual or auto?

Quick Reply: May sound dumb.....I'm just feeling my stage 1 is not....