2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Minimum Octane Requirement for Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 PM

don't know about the stage kit but for the ss w/o it you should be fine w/ 89 octane and probably w/ 87 octane. From the '09 manual on pg 5-5.

"if the vhicle has the 2.2L L4 engine (VIN Code B) or the 2.0L L4 engine (Vin Code X), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and you might notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible." Also on sticker inside the fuel door it says "recommends premuim."

I know for my 1st four fill ups I used 89 octane as it is the same price as reg. at my neighborhood gas station. It was less then 2 full tanks, but I had no issues. I am now using premium for 20 cents more, but mainly because of not having any ethenol and w/ only using a half take of gas a week it is like
$3 or less more per week. I really don't see an issue w/ using midgrade as long as you dont' hear spark knock, unless you are worried about that "slight" reduction in acceleration. Also I don't have the stage kit, yet ! So it might be different after theinstall
Old 06-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 09_SS
don't know about the stage kit but for the ss w/o it you should be fine w/ 89 octane and probably w/ 87 octane. From the '09 manual on pg 5-5.

"if the vhicle has the 2.2L L4 engine (VIN Code B) or the 2.0L L4 engine (Vin Code X), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and you might notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible." Also on sticker inside the fuel door it says "recommends premuim."

I know for my 1st four fill ups I used 89 octane as it is the same price as reg. at my neighborhood gas station. It was less then 2 full tanks, but I had no issues. I am now using premium for 20 cents more, but mainly because of not having any ethenol and w/ only using a half take of gas a week it is like
$3 or less more per week. I really don't see an issue w/ using midgrade as long as you dont' hear spark knock, unless you are worried about that "slight" reduction in acceleration. Also I don't have the stage kit, yet ! So it might be different after theinstall

I think you better read your Owners Manual again. I THINK you posted (or copied) incorrect information.

I have a 2006, so I checked the online version of the 2009 Owners Manual. It DOES NOT SAY WHAT YOU POSTED. I think you made a mistake.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
91 or higher per GM

GM recomends if you have to use regular in the 3800 SC engines to drive conservitive till you can get better gas.

In other word use it only if you have too and get better ASAP while driving very easy. They do use the words engine damage will result other wise.

I expect the same here on the stage kit. Don't do it unless you have too and then drive easy till you can top off with better gas.
Unfortunately with the stage kit you have to use premium to stay within the warranty. I now have a sticker on the gas door that says Premium only
Old 06-15-2009, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by bartSS
i wish we had 94 around here. It goes from 93 to 104
104?! What gas station has that?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by KinseySS
Unfortunately with the stage kit you have to use premium to stay within the warranty. I now have a sticker on the gas door that says Premium only
You misunder stood my commet.

The series II 3800 SC owners manual stated premium is required but it also states how to deal with it if you are in some small out of town place that may not have it.

They say you can use it only if you have to in case of emergency but the terms they state is avoid WOT and any high boost conditiions or engine damage will accure. They also state to fill with premium ASAP when you find it.

This is how GM addressed what to do if premium was not avaiable it is not OK to use it all the time.

Now on my series III it is not required but recommended.

Note my series II had the same sticker on the gas door with this notice of how to use regular only in case of emergency and with caustion.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
You misunderstood my comment.

The series II 3800 SC owners manual stated premium is required but it also states how to deal with it if you are in some small out of town place that may not have it.

They say you can use it only if you have to in case of emergency but the terms they state is avoid WOT and any high boost conditions or engine damage will occur. They also state to fill with premium ASAP when you find it.

This is how GM addressed what to do if premium was not available it is not OK to use it all the time.

Now on my series III it is not required but recommended.

Note my series II had the same sticker on the gas door with this notice of how to use regular only in case of emergency and with caution.
Oh ok, I see what ya meant.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 AM

All of the stations in my area have dropped from 93 octane to 92. I can't seem to find 93 octane anywhere now.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KinseySS
104?! What gas station has that?
A Gas City by my house and its like 7 bucks a gallon
Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I think you better read your Owners Manual again. I THINK you posted (or copied) incorrect information.

I have a 2006, so I checked the online version of the 2009 Owners Manual. It DOES NOT SAY WHAT YOU POSTED. I think you made a mistake.
Not sure what you mean? I read/copied directly from my 2009 manual that the dealer gave me. I even listed the page number. Will have to check the online manual. Mine was built in Aug. '08 for the '09 model. Maybe they changed it after??
Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

First....YOU spelled VEHICLE incorrectly....so you couldn't have copied it DIRECTLY from the Owners Manual. Second....the 2.2 DOES NOT REQUIRE OR RECOMMEND PREMIUM FUEL. However, GM does RECOMMEND premium fuel for the 2.4 ltr.

What it appears like.... is you started to type/copy one paragraph from the Owners Manual and then went to another and transposed the intended meanings.

I'll find the on-line link and post it later.

Edit....Here is the "Clipboard Copy" of the information from 5-5 from the Online 2009 Owners Manual (bold type by me).....

Gasoline Octane
If the vehicle has the 2.2L L4 engine (VIN Code B), use
regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating
of 87 or higher.
If the octane rating is less than 87, you
might notice an audible knocking noise when you
drive, commonly referred to as spark knock. If this
occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as
soon as possible. If you are using gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the
engine needs service.
If the vehicle has the 2.4L L4 engine (VIN Code V) or
the 2.0L L4 engine (VIN Code X), use premium unleaded
gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher.

You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at
87 octane or higher, but the vehicle’s acceleration could
be slightly reduced, and you might notice a slight audible
knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock.
If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy
knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a
gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible.
Otherwise, you could damage the engine. If you are using
gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy
knocking, the engine needs service.

Quick Reply: Minimum Octane Requirement for Stage 1