2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Stage 1 / auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM

Stage 1 / auto tranny

Has anyone put the GM stage 1 kit in their SS that has an automatic, if so was it reasonably simple and did you notice a difference. I'm only interested in those who did it with an auto, (since that's what I will be getting.) Also, can you use it as a daily driver with the GM stage 1 kit. Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 PM

I have it. It is VERY noticeable. Some dealers don't feel comfortable doing it but to others it is no big deal. There have been a couple other threads on this subject so you could find more by searching for them. It is no issue as a daily driver; it's tame unless you get on the gas
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 AM

You might want to search "Trifecta tune" as well. From what I've read, it sounds like this install-yourself project generates similar results for much less money.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 AM

Barton Birks Chevrolet in Newburgh, New York
175 mile ride each way for me.
Worth every minute of it.
Wicked fun and my 6 year 100K bumper to bumper warranty isn't void because it's GMPP.

Yeah, there's a noticable difference.
I used to be a carpenter and am no lightweight but when I punch it to pass I'm glad it's an auto so I can hold on with both hands.
315 lbs of FWD torque steer

It's a great daily driver.
The power's on tap if/when I want it but I drive for MPGs.
32 avg in summer 29-30 winter

Last edited by Mowgli; 02-15-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: correct warranty info
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 AM

Like I have stated the GM Turbo Up Grade takes the SS AUto from Interesting to Fun.

The key also is the GM Turbo Up Grade might cost more but it is covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile GM powertrain warranty for the balance of the vehicles warranty. It will not void the warranty as others will. Note Abuse is not covered by anyone so I would advise not to post any YouTube videos.

The torque steer is there but not a two hander. It is a little more on uneven surfaces but for a FWD it is very managable.

If you care anything about performance I would recomend the kit. Most dealers will install for a resonable price and if you shop around the kit is available at some very good prices now.

Yes it is true you will under normal driving pick up 1-2 MPG but you will have to use Prem gas.

THe gains are good with the 5 speed of 30 HP but the Auto will pick up the missing HP in first and second gear with a 55HP gain.

So far we have not seen any issues with the Auto tranny. If it was an issues GM would not have offered it. Note the Torques is down from the RWD applications for the upgrade kit.

If anythring I see more people complain about slipped clutches on the 5 speed than Auto failures.

Again it will not make this a ZR1 killer but it will move it into Mustang GT like perfromance.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 AM

I've had it in my Auto SS for almost a year now. Once it was installed properly I haven't had any issues at all. It has tons of power to pass now but I have noticed an increase in MPG. My last 2 cars required premium so I was always used to putting that in anyway.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Several posts have mentioned that Stage 1 requires Premium. Doesn't the SS already do so?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by HHRemi
Several posts have mentioned that Stage 1 requires Premium. Doesn't the SS already do so?
Prem is is recomended as GM states. That means you can use the lesser fuel but it will cost you about 20 HP.

With the Turbo Upgrade kit it is Prem Required. GM speak for no options here unless you are stuck somewhere and have no options. Then you drive very easy untill you can get the correct fuel.

When you start seeing 20+ PSI the engine needs the good stuff and nothing else or engine damage will happen.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 PM

"That means you can use the lesser fuel but it will cost you about 20 HP."

Give up 20 HP to save 20 cents? Um...no.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by HHRemi
"That means you can use the lesser fuel but it will cost you about 20 HP."

Give up 20 HP to save 20 cents? Um...no.
The idea is there are a lot of people who will baulk at buying a car the requires premium. Many people just see the money involved. GM has found that they can control the engine to use any fuel and leave the choice up to the owner.

The bottom line is it sells more cars as GM picks up those who would not have purchased it they did not offer that option. It also offers a little safety space incase you can't find the better fuel if you travel in areas where it may not be common.

It is a smart marketing move on GM's part. It puts the choice in the owners hands and removes the excuse from those who would hold this as a factor not to buy.

It is all about selling cars!

Quick Reply: Stage 1 / auto tranny