Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.0L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/)
-   -   Stage 1 kit can go in Automatic. Really???? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/stage-1-kit-can-go-automatic-really-26507/)

solman98 11-06-2009 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 422794)
The kit literature states that installation will not void your factory warranties.

Lots of holes in that statement.....:lol:

prod 11-06-2009 10:43 AM

The comment about abuse is what you need to keep in mind.
Remember the service bulletin about not covering the manual tranny cracking due to wheel hop?
Just because you have the power, doesnt mean you can be stupid with it ;)
I bet if you had tires that could stick and an aftermarket tune that gave full power off the line, you'd break something. Even the stage 1 tune probably limits the torque off the line for the auto trans.

DoubleDocBrown 11-06-2009 01:15 PM

I think this was the purpose of my question. I realized that having a Stage 1 kit didn't void the warranty, but if you do damage while utilizing all that extra power and torque, would the damage be covered. Even if you weren't purposely abusing the engine.

For example, if you punched it while on a freeway and got her up to 130 MPH or so, and the stress did damage, would this be covered. or would GM say, you did the damage while breaking the speed limit so the damage isn't covered.

but I'm still curious about how the AT on a 2008 SS can handle the extra torque of a Stage 1 kit, when GM said they didn't allow the extra torque for the AT because the trany couldn't handle it. I know they may have beefed up the trany on the 2009 or 2010, but I don't think they have upgraded the trany on the 2008.

I know I'm probably not being clear. But how could an original 2008 AT trany handle the Stage 1 available torque, when it couldn't handle the amount of toque that the 2008 MT could.

solman98 11-06-2009 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDocBrown (Post 423444)
I think this was the purpose of my question. I realized that having a Stage 1 kit didn't void the warranty, but if you do damage while utilizing all that extra power and torque, would the damage be covered. Even if you weren't purposely abusing the engine.

For example, if you punched it while on a freeway and got her up to 130 MPH or so, and the stress did damage, would this be covered. or would GM say, you did the damage while breaking the speed limit so the damage isn't covered.

but I'm still curious about how the AT on a 2008 SS can handle the extra torque of a Stage 1 kit, when GM said they didn't allow the extra torque for the AT because the trany couldn't handle it. I know they may have beefed up the trany on the 2009 or 2010, but I don't think they have upgraded the trany on the 2008.

I know I'm probably not being clear. But how could an original 2008 AT trany handle the Stage 1 available torque, when it couldn't handle the amount of toque that the 2008 MT could.

No, your very clear on that. I've wondered the same thing myself.

If GM "determined" you abused the tranny, they would not cover it.

BMB 11-07-2009 07:16 AM

I have one on my 09 with an auto ad it runs like a Raped Ape!!!!

DoubleDocBrown 11-07-2009 09:22 AM

I'm assuming that running like a Raped Ape is a good thing?!?

chudlychudson 11-07-2009 10:39 AM

If you go to http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...2009/09car.htm and go down to the HHR SS and click on the SS link next to the 4T45 transmission, and it says that the torque limit is 221 lb-ft. Interestingly, if you bring up the spreadsheet for the F35 5 speed, SS, it says the torque limit is 260 lb-ft. It doesn't say that either of these transmissions is upgraded to handle 315 lb-ft. Does anyone have a link to an official GM website that says yes, it's ok to put this much power into these transmissions?

IgottaWoody 11-08-2009 11:25 PM

Its a GM part with a GM warrenty that does not affect the original warrenty in any way whatsoever.... sold by GM and installed by GM..what more do you want?? Many of us have it and have not experienced any problems with it. If there is a longevity problem we all have a way to go to reach it..and THEN it will be taken care of by GM.

solman98 11-09-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody (Post 423798)
Its a GM part with a GM warrenty that does not affect the original warrenty in any way whatsoever.... sold by GM and installed by GM..what more do you want?? Many of us have it and have not experienced any problems with it. If there is a longevity problem we all have a way to go to reach it..and THEN it will be taken care of by GM .

You hope......:lol:

hyperv6 11-09-2009 08:38 AM

If you want it buy the Tune great if you don't then move on. The part is covered by warranty as long as you do not do anything real stupid.

Even if GM said no the court cost to them would be more than to replace the tranny anyway.

Note this same tranny in the GTP's will hold up to just over 320 Hp and 325 FT Torque. After that the diffs seem to break. GM limited the power to 290HP and 315 FT torque for this reason. Otherwise we would have gotten the 340 FT Torque the Solstice got. GM has requirments to their drivelines that require them to take so much more power. In recent years they have been working into that area more with good results.

Also note the GXP GP uses the same tranny with a 300 HP V8. Note the programing the stage kit has take the shift points into effect.

The big differance here is the Hightest fuel required fuel. GM for marketing wants to make it optional so they can sell more cars. The kit make it required at the owners choice and it opens the door to more things they can do in the computer.

Besides GM is making a killing on this kit. $500 for two map sensors and a computer flash. A great product with little overhead.

So if you want to stir something up stir something else.