2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Stage 1 kit can go in Automatic. Really????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Unhappy Stage 1 kit can go in Automatic. Really????

I've heard some guys on the forum say that the Stage 1 kit is okay in the SS Automatic Transmission, but I just saw an article saying that the AT can't handle the extra torque.

"But that drops to just 235 horsepower and 223 foot-pounds of torque when connected to the optional four-speed automatic transmission. Because GM has no automatic transmission capable of handling the torque of the higher-output version of this engine, HHRs equipped with the automatic had to be de-tuned to the lower horsepower, Lutz said.

The company decided that it would be too expensive and not worth the effort to beef up the automatic to handle the higher power level, he said. "

So now I'm worried about putting the Stage 1 in. I don't want to ruin my trany.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Founding Member

Buy it, Get it installed and SMILE big while you drive it!

No problems with an automatic and you have a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty to back it!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDocBrown
I've heard some guys on the forum say that the Stage 1 kit is okay in the SS Automatic Transmission, but I just saw an article saying that the AT can't handle the extra torque.

"But that drops to just 235 horsepower and 223 foot-pounds of torque when connected to the optional four-speed automatic transmission. Because GM has no automatic transmission capable of handling the torque of the higher-output version of this engine, HHRs equipped with the automatic had to be de-tuned to the lower horsepower, Lutz said.

The company decided that it would be too expensive and not worth the effort to beef up the automatic to handle the higher power level, he said. "

So now I'm worried about putting the Stage 1 in. I don't want to ruin my trany.

Any thoughts?
Keep in mind that the stage 1 kit is a GM part and warrantied by GM. I wouldn't think GM would make a stage 1 kit fot an Automatic if they were going to have warranty a bunch of transmissions.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:27 PM

I run mine in an automatic 09 SS. No problems,seems to handle it well.I've had it installed since May 09. The way I look at it is its under GM warranty.....if it goes,give me a rental and fix it.......
Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 PM

What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense. I'm just curious then, if the AT can handle the HP and torque, why they GM purposefully a limited HP and torque on the stock SS model.

And although the Stage 1 kit doesn't void the warranty, is a blown trany a covered item?

I'm not trying to be a worrier, I'm just new to the car modification realm.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by DoubleDocBrown
And although the Stage 1 kit doesn't void the warranty, is a blown trany a covered item?
The kit literature states that installation will not void your factory warranties.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The kit literature states that installation will not void your factory warranties.
That's good to know. Thanks.

So while my warranty wouldn't cover any damaged caused to my trany by racing or taking my SS out to a test track and trying to beat the land speed record, the warranty would cover any damage caused by normal driving or any extreme situation like if I happen to blow the trany trying to pass a semi that doesn't see me next to him when he is moving into my lane.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 AM

its been gone over before, the auto tranny has been beefed up a little, ie: hardened input shaft, but the differential is the same. if that grenades, it can wipe out the whole tranny
just look at the ssei's and such.

While the tranny can handle the stage kit under normal driving..
you abuse it...
you break it...
you pay for it
Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 AM

Make sure to put a screen over your face to keep bugs out of your mouth because you're smiling so much after the kit install.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Stage 1 kit OK w/ ATX

There are no problems w/ having a Stage kit installed in an SS w/ the auto tranny. Go ahead and do it, thank us repeatedly later.

Later
Allex

Quick Reply: Stage 1 kit can go in Automatic. Really????