2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

T04E for the SS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 AM

T04E for the SS?

I was offered a really good price on A Turbonetics T04E with no shaft play. Its thrust bearing and .50 on the intake side. Working on the exhaust measurements still. What do you think of this turbo for the hhr? The only issue I see is that its external wastegate. Of course, I'd prefer a dual bb turbo, but this price is just too good.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:39 PM

From what I hear you will have to go to a different wastegate with a larger Turbo. I was wondering how big of turbo would fit back there and what kind of turbo comes stock on the SS HHR?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM

Ok this is what I found on our stock Turbo.

Twin-Scroll Turbocharger
The Ecotec 2.0L Turbo uses an advanced, electronically controlled turbocharger to increase power. With a turbocharger, exhaust gas leaving the cylinders spins a turbine on one end of the turbo shaft. An impeller at the opposite end of the shaft forces compressed air into the induction system, increasing the amount of oxygen available for the combustion process.

The 2.0L Turbo’s turbocharger applies a unique, twin-scroll design. Each of two scrolls on the turbine is fed by a separate exhaust passage—one from cylinders one and four, the other from cylinders two and three. The twin-scroll design virtually eliminates turbo lag at low engine speed—the time it takes for the impeller to spool up and generate boost pressure—and delivers the throttle response of a high-performance naturally aspirated engine

The turbocharger generates maximum boost of 20 psi. Because direct injection cools the intake process compared to port injection, it allows the 2.0L Turbo to safely operate at higher boost and higher compression (9.2:1) than a conventional turbo engine, increasing both output and efficiency.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 PM

Our turbo is the K04. I think it's a borg-warner, but it is a K04. It's the same turbo that's on the Mazdaspeed 3, and also used on some Audi RS models. There are certain shops that already make upgraded compressor wheels for our turbos for between $6-800 from what I've seen, but the middle man seems to be making quite a bit of money there so I'm looking for better deals. I posted earlier about a new compressor wheel from Bald Turbo Freak in another thread.

Anyway, our turbo is VERY small, maxing out around 290whp in this application according to the aftermarket. There are solstices running around with GT35R's, but that doesn't mean a turbo that size will fit behind our motor. The Synapse manifold is supposed to be able to fit a GT30R, if that manifold will work. All just FYI, Z28.

I think the T04E will fit back there, I'm just curious if it's a good match as far as the flow rate and such.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
XXL

T04e (in a 50 trim) compressor map

KKK (BW) K04 compressor map

Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSS
Our turbo is the K04. I think it's a borg-warner, but it is a K04. It's the same turbo that's on the Mazdaspeed 3, and also used on some Audi RS models.
Yes it is a Borg Warner K04.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
T04e (in a 50 trim) compressor map

[IMG]Some foreign picture[/IMG]

KKK (BW) K04 compressor map

[IMG]Some other foreign picture[/IMG]

Can you translate these pictures to English, please? For us simpletons on the net.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSS
Our turbo is the K04. I think it's a borg-warner, but it is a K04. It's the same turbo that's on the Mazdaspeed 3, and also used on some Audi RS models. There are certain shops that already make upgraded compressor wheels for our turbos for between $6-800 from what I've seen, but the middle man seems to be making quite a bit of money there so I'm looking for better deals. I posted earlier about a new compressor wheel from Bald Turbo Freak in another thread.

Anyway, our turbo is VERY small, maxing out around 290whp in this application according to the aftermarket. There are solstices running around with GT35R's, but that doesn't mean a turbo that size will fit behind our motor. The Synapse manifold is supposed to be able to fit a GT30R, if that manifold will work. All just FYI, Z28.

I think the T04E will fit back there, I'm just curious if it's a good match as far as the flow rate and such.
From what I've read is that the T04/03 can push 450HP+. Maybe moving the turbo could make for a bigger turbo.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by Dr_Jekyll
Can you translate these pictures to English, please?
The pressure maps show the operational efficiencies of the turbos. The "circles" are often called islands... the center-most being the most "efficient" for that particular unit (think of a topographical map... you want to try to keep your design toward the top of the mountain). When you get too far to the left, you get into surge territory... bad. When you get too far to the right, you run out of steam.

Run through the following formula...

CFM = (L x R x V x (14.7 + boost)/14.7)/5660

Where...

CFM = air flow to properly feed engine
L = engine displacement (liters)
R = engine RPM
V = volumetric efficiency of engine (you can generally assume 85-90%)
PR = pressure ratio... which is shown above as (14.7 + boost)/14.7. Boost here is the top end of the boost pressure you intend to run.

Cobble all these numbers together, using a "low RPM" value for where you want the turbo to spin up and you get a "bottom" point to plot on the map. Do the same with a "high RPM" and you get a top point to plot. Use those 2 points to draw a rectangle (they tend to plot out on a diagonal... just draw vertical and horizontal lines from each point until they cross and you'll have a rectangle. Now... make sure that rectangle is overlaying the high-efficiency islands.

Hmmm... that's hard to explain with just words.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 PM

Errm, is the turbo good or bad? LOL