2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Tune question

You'll have to excuse me if this is a dumb question. I was going to order the gm stage kit next week but I also have plans to install a catless downpipe (among other things) down the road. I want to be able to tune out the CEL for the missing cat and obviously the gm tune isn't going to do that. Is there any advantage/disadvantage going with an aftermarket tune as opposed to the stage kit (aside from warranty concerns). I see the stage kit is just map sensors and tune and was wondering if I could get the same results from buying a good aftermarket tuner while being able to also delete the CEL function due to the lack a cat converter.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 PM

Check out My web site. A Stealth Dual tune for your SS runs $300.00 without shipping if you have a laptop.

www.chwtunecenter.com
Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM

you should also check out the cobalt ss forums. BYT on there is a local hp tuner in pa. he email tunes my hhr and I have improved my 60-100 times by over 3 full seconds and im still bone stock otherwise. he is a local tuner for turbotechracing now, google that and you can get his info also. he's tuned a ton of cars, you wouldn't imagine. I bought the stage kit sensors and connectors not from gm and I will beable to put the stage tune along with it being custom tuned myself, which the sensors and connectors are less than 100. geoffh on here has hpt and can vouch for byt being an AWESOMÉ tuner.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jaxon
you should also check out the cobalt ss forums. BYT on there is a local hp tuner in pa. he email tunes my hhr and I have improved my 60-100 times by over 3 full seconds and im still bone stock otherwise. he is a local tuner for turbotechracing now, google that and you can get his info also. he's tuned a ton of cars, you wouldn't imagine. I bought the stage kit sensors and connectors not from gm and I will beable to put the stage tune along with it being custom tuned myself, which the sensors and connectors are less than 100. geoffh on here has hpt and can vouch for byt being an AWESOMÉ tuner.
X2 BYT does some very good work man. Meet with him have him tune you and erase the cat code at the same time
Old 03-23-2010, 06:11 PM

Ha, I know BackYardTurbo (BYT) from 2 other forums not counting the one you mentioned! lol He turbos everything he has and told me about the HPT, just need to get one so I can get a tune from him! He just posted on another forum his dyno on his Cobalt, he's got some awesome numbers!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM

BYT know's his stuff no dought about that. But on a side note some of the cattless down pipes like Hahn and I think a few others mount the o2 sensor in an angled chamber off of the pipe and they don't through codes that way.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by hhrss09
BYT know's his stuff no dought about that. But on a side note some of the cattless down pipes like Hahn and I think a few others mount the o2 sensor in an angled chamber off of the pipe and they don't through codes that way.
It's less likely to set a CEL but it will happen eventually. Anyway, thanks for the responses. I think I'm pretty much set on going with the trifecta. I like the idea of being able to turn it off for MPG sake if I'm on a long trip and being able to completely make it go away if I need to for warranty concerns. Plus, being able to update it down the road after changing things is a huge plus.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM

If you buy hptuners and pay BYT for a tune as some do like me. Not only can you datalog all you want, but he updates the tunes for free. Plus, trifecta tune can be found just as easily as hpt after doing a write entire. I just take my tune off for warranty work, and my gas mileage has increased over stock on average. My worst tank in 23K on average was 24.8 and I've been tuned since I bought it and do alot of spirited driving.

Sorry, not trying to convince you but just letting people with HHRs know about how well hptuners works. BYT also has some vids of him racing a trifecta tuned car on 24psi and his tuned to 22 and its whoever gets the jump that wins, with the trifecta car(same mods other than he has IC also) pulling after heatsoak sets in.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM

OK, you talked me into it. I contacted BYT on a cobalt forum so I could pick his brain a bit. I guess what really sold me is the fact that I can use hptuners for my GTO and TBSS too. Anyway thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Lol, I didn't even think about how you have a gto and tbss lmao. If you buy a new hptuners, youll still have 2 credits left after tuning 3 cars.

Quick Reply: Tune question