2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Update on pinging

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:05 PM

Update on pinging

I was getting the pinging or knock not to long ago after changing the IC and Piping. Well I was using either QT or Shell 91 oct fuel. Ever since I switched to Cheveron, I haven't had an issue. Now I thought that all fuels were the same in OCT measuments but I assume I was wrong.

Can someone explain to me how one brand can differ from another other than OCT rating? Or was it a fluke?

BTW, I'll post up a couple of races I had the last 2 days. :)
Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Unfortunately we have some of the worst gas in Arizona. This had been told to me over and over at various dyno shops over the years, and verified by how my Mustangs ran with different 91 octane gas. Chevron seems to be one of the better ones out there, but you may want to do a dyno run and have the A/F checked to see if you are running lean. Forced induction and detonation do not mix.

BTW did you have the dealer install your stage 1 kit? if so who did the work. I just picked up a used 08 SS and would like a bit more power.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:54 PM

I had power chevy on bell rd do my install. I guess I will only run Cheveron fuel to be safe.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

For the people in Arizona, if it matters......

GM Desert Proving Ground (formerly in Mesa, now in Yuma) did an extensive fuel test that I was involved in.

After testing a number of different fuels and different grades, they elected to use Chevron for their fleet vehicles and emissions testing. I purchased large quantities FROM them for our on site fuel station.

Disclaimer...... Can't tell you what they are using now. But may be able to find out this coming Tuesday....when I'll be attending a GM breakfast meet.

2nd disclaimer....I don't necessarily use Chevron. Mostly whatever is handy and a name brand other than Atlantic Richfield (AM-PM).
Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 AM

When I took the Arizona's Emission course 2 months ago, the instructor also said that was the best fuel but at that time I didn't have my mods put on. I just kept wondering why I had this pinging issue after the mods. I knew it had something to do with Oct in some way.

QT fuel is cheap and thats why I used it. Shell I thought had good standards so I assume just because it says 91 oct doesn't mean it's accurate to 91.

I also can't believe that these cars would be that sensative to a slight fuel grade.

I just want everyone to know that this was only a WOT issue and not a normal driving issue.

Originally Posted by Snoopy
For the people in Arizona, if it matters......

GM Desert Proving Ground (formerly in Mesa, now in Yuma) did an extensive fuel test that I was involved in.

After testing a number of different fuels and different grades, they elected to use Chevron for their fleet vehicles and emissions testing. I purchased large quantities FROM them for our on site fuel station.

Disclaimer...... Can't tell you what they are using now. But may be able to find out this coming Tuesday....when I'll be attending a GM breakfast meet.

2nd disclaimer....I don't necessarily use Chevron. Mostly whatever is handy and a name brand other than Atlantic Richfield (AM-PM).
Old 11-01-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
When I took the Arizona's Emission course 2 months ago, the instructor also said that was the best fuel but at that time I didn't have my mods put on. I just kept wondering why I had this pinging issue after the mods. I knew it had something to do with Oct in some way.

QT fuel is cheap and thats why I used it. Shell I thought had good standards so I assume just because it says 91 oct doesn't mean it's accurate to 91.

I also can't believe that these cars would be that sensative to a slight fuel grade.

I just want everyone to know that this was only a WOT issue and not a normal driving issue.
You still should really have a dyno run done to see what the A/F is at WOT. Arizona Dyno Chip off of Chandler Blvd And I10 only charges $60 for 30 minutes. This is more than enough for a baseline run and a few verification runs. They will email you the chart with the HP, TQ and A/F range. $60 for piece of mind is cheap in my book. Ask for Keith. He has tuned friends cars as well has diagnosed a issue I had with a previous car. Also just because you only hear it a WOT does not mean the car is not running lean during normal driving conditions. Forced induction cars should run richer than N/A cars.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:45 PM

I have always used Chevron or Mobil, I did notice that I get slightly less "knock retard" on occasion running Mobil (a degree or so difference). I am sure every region has differences, but it seems like everybody always gets back to concluding Chevron and Mobil really are the best choices in California.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jvm051
You still should really have a dyno run done to see what the A/F is at WOT. Arizona Dyno Chip off of Chandler Blvd And I10 only charges $60 for 30 minutes. This is more than enough for a baseline run and a few verification runs. They will email you the chart with the HP, TQ and A/F range. $60 for piece of mind is cheap in my book. Ask for Keith. He has tuned friends cars as well has diagnosed a issue I had with a previous car. Also just because you only hear it a WOT does not mean the car is not running lean during normal driving conditions. Forced induction cars should run richer than N/A cars.
Thats where I used to take my Z28 to get dynoed. I have HP tuner for the HHR so that might be needed. Is that Keith the same guy on HPtuner.com that lives here in AZ and does all the cobalt guys tunes?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
Thats where I used to take my Z28 to get dynoed. I have HP tuner for the HHR so that might be needed. Is that Keith the same guy on HPtuner.com that lives here in AZ and does all the cobalt guys tunes?
Not really sure. It was a few years back when I had him do a tune on 06 Mustang GT. I got out of performance cars when the gas went sky high and bought a Honda Fit Now that I have the SS I am exploring my options. But compard to the Fit the power is more than nice for the daily commute.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM

I am lucky and have a buddy that owns a local station and he happens to be a speed freak his self and so he gets 94. Let me tell you that I can tell the difference in his stations 94 compaired to others 93, so I think there is big differences in station to station

Quick Reply: Update on pinging