2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Who is using a treadstone intercooler/pipe kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Who is using a treadstone intercooler/pipe kit?

Treadstone appears to be quality products. How was the install/fitment at the Hhr SS. They are highly rated at cobalt fourm. At half the price of werks,devon, 300 bucks is hard to beat. The piping kit looks to be quality as well. I know out of the 3 sizes tr8,tr10 and tr12. The 8 fits better than the 10 and the 12 is too big and will not fit.

Who has the TR8 and or piping from treadstone on A hhr? Any reviews comments ect.? I am looking for any input at all.

Thanks

Adam
Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

You might have to write the first review.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM

i have a tr10 and it does not fit without cutting notches in the backside of the crash bar. the radiator is different on the hhr than the cobalt and is what causes this issue. a tr12 will not fit period. the tr10 comes up to the top of the bumper as it is and if it were 2 inches taller then the bumper wouldn't go back on. i have no idea if a tr8 will fit without notching the lower portion of the crash bar.

that all being said....treadstone makes high quality pieces. the intercooler is amazing and is very efficient. i know other guys with their ic pipes, downpipes, intakes, exhausts, etc and they all say they make some really good stuff
Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 AM

Hey silverSS how hard was it to notch the crash bar? I am going to have to figure out how to do this If I buy this kit. I think I saw someone on cobalt SS that said he fabled a spacer to gain the needed clearance to make the ic fit with out notching the crash bar. I have to go back and look but that was a TR8, if I rember this correctly.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
You might have to write the first review.
Oh believe me I would. My dealer said to me today it's ok to change the IC , hard pipes and the down pipe and he won't void my warranty. So it's game on.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

The Sabb/crazy steve fits, barely, and pretty low price, quality built.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...127d6647fd3f22
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pimphand
Hey silverSS how hard was it to notch the crash bar? I am going to have to figure out how to do this If I buy this kit. I think I saw someone on cobalt SS that said he fabled a spacer to gain the needed clearance to make the ic fit with out notching the crash bar. I have to go back and look but that was a TR8, if I rember this correctly.
if you have an angle grinder it will only take a couple minutes. once you line the ic up and try and slide it behind the crash bar you will see exactly where you need to cut a notch. i had to do it with a battery powered dremel and it was a pain in the freggin ace. im not sure if it has to do with the notches or if our crash bar is actually different than the cobalts but the treadstone also used the crash bar bolts to mount so i had to get longer bolts and rig up a mounting solution too. (i forgot about having to do that till now).

im gonna venture to say you are the one who bought the kit from the classifieds section. if you need any help with the install i can help walk u thru what i had to go thru.

all this being said I highly recommend the treadstone ic to the cobalt guys but for us hhr cats i would suggest going another route. there are easy bolt on solutions that work just as well and are priced the same.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS

im gonna venture to say you are the one who bought the kit from the classifieds section. if you need any help with the install i can help walk u thru what i had to go thru.

all this being said I highly recommend the treadstone ic to the cobalt guys but efor us hhr cats i would suggest going another route. there are easy bolt on solutions that work just as well and are priced the same.
first let me say thanks for offering your help during the install of the intercooler
but I did not buy it. I thought about it but no.

2 things made me hold off .One was your review of the install and how much extra work you did and the cold side piping. I am not sure if the cold side from the cobalt works with our hhr's. I have been told its different but imam not sure.

I just like the quality and the price point. With all the install Issues I think I have to agree with your recommendation. its great for a cobalt but not for the hhr.
I am going to contact Jason at Treadstone to see if we can get a HHR version. If that dosent work out I am thinking Crazysteve or Zzp.

Does any one know if you have too lose the grille with the ZZP?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pimphand
first let me say thanks for offering your help during the install of the intercooler
but I did not buy it. I thought about it but no.

2 things made me hold off .One was your review of the install and how much extra work you did and the cold side piping. I am not sure if the cold side from the cobalt works with our hhr's. I have been told its different but imam not sure.

I just like the quality and the price point. With all the install Issues I think I have to agree with your recommendation. its great for a cobalt but not for the hhr.
I am going to contact Jason at Treadstone to see if we can get a HHR version. If that dosent work out I am thinking Crazysteve or Zzp.

Does any one know if you have too lose the grille with the ZZP?
now a tr8 might bolt up no problem...i just don't know for sure without having done it or knowing anyone else who has. it may be short enough that it won't cause any of the issues but once again i don't know for sure.

treadstone is aware, at least, that my tr10 did not fit without modification. the radiators being different between the cobalt and the hhr is the main issue. if they were the same, then the mounting tabs may bolt up perfectly....i don't know for sure. as far as i know i am the only hhr who has done a treadstone intercooler. all their other parts should work perfectly on the hrr. as far as the coldside pipe the only difference ive heard is dejon uses an angled coupler for the hhr. either way if you had to get a different coupler to make it fit that's not that big of a deal.

I am thinking of ordering a treadstone coldside with maf relocate and fabbing up a different full 3" custom intake. so maybe i will have a definite answer to the coldside question soon.

i think guys just take the grill out to show off the ic...it is not necessary to remove it tho
Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Altsliver I am sending you a pm about this.

Quick Reply: Who is using a treadstone intercooler/pipe kit?