Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.2L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/)
-   -   Is a 2.2 to 2.4 engine swap possible (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-2l-performance-tech-5/2-2-2-4-engine-swap-possible-53572/)

nrvous1 04-21-2015 09:58 PM

Take a read over at the cobalt ss forums. It has been done on a cobalt that was originally a 2.2. The main differences are the wiring harnesses. But, I think the owner modified the stock harness and all that was needed was to add a few prongs on certain areas of the harness plugs. Since the owner was inclined and knew what he was doing, he made it sound a lot easier then I'm imagining it would be. Still should be do-able though. From reading his post, everything physically is the exact same as a 2.2. The blocks and mounting positions of all the accessories including the transmission are identical between the 2.2 and 2.4's if I remember reading correctly.

Edit: I see the link for the swap has already been posted.

KCCO 04-27-2015 09:01 PM

Well after a bunch of research of cross referencing part numbers and reading I have finally figured out that this engine swap is a 100% possible. All that is needed for the swap is a 2.4 motor, engine wiring harness, and computer. So I for sure plan on doing this swap and when I do I will post it on the forum.

Oldblue 04-28-2015 06:17 AM

Don't forget to change the exhaust the 2.2 is 1 3/4 inch pipe the 2.4 is 2 1/2 inch

KCCO 04-28-2015 11:41 PM

Will do thank you

donbrew 04-29-2015 07:26 AM

You do know about VIN and computers, in case you ever want to sell the car.

I'm not sure about the BCM and SDM (restraint system). But pretty sure that all 3 need to be registered with each other.

Probably the same ECM & TCM, but different programing.

Doc brown 05-01-2015 02:15 PM

I have a question. Are you doing this because you have a bad engine and can get a 2.4 for a good price, or are you looking for a performance gain? If it's the later, I think it's a lot of work for only a little gain. I have driven both and while the 2.4 with 92 octane is a better overall performer than the 2.2, it isn't all that a dramatic difference.

KCCO 05-01-2015 07:39 PM

i have a bad engine and also can get a good deal on a 2.4 when i do the swap i planned on rebuilding it and doing some performance upgrades to the motor before i put it in such as valve springs cams, injectors and a assortment of other things not trying to turn it in to a drag car but still would like to have some more power and i figured why not since i get good deals on parts and stuff. i do realize most people would find it cheaper to rebuild the 2.2 instead of doing the swap and yes they are right it would be cheaper but wheres the fun in that lol. plus at as good of a deal i can get on motors at any point in time i could put the 2.2 back in it and for sure sell the 2.4 for more then i paid for it.

Oldblue 05-01-2015 07:57 PM

Ah the hot rodding virus has got you !!!

KCCO 05-02-2015 01:37 AM

Lol well yes it has. But I am determined to make it happen.

firemangeorge 05-02-2015 05:59 AM

You're going to need a good tuner to work with while you get ready for this swap.
Just getting it running with the 2.2/2.4 change is going to be a challenge. Now that you're planning some engine mods, that will require an additional new tune also.