2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

After market intake mods, why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:38 PM

Question After market intake mods, why?

I keep seeing photos of after market intake mods on HHR's. From what I can see, at least on my 2.2, it looks to have a factory cold air intake. Appears to draw air from outside of the engine bay within the area fore of the passenger wheel well... fender.

Also, I don't care for the oiled cotton medical grade gauze type of after market air filters. They tend to coat the Mass Air Flow Sensor diodes with a micro coating of oil over time, as they can leech micro mist of oil into the intake air charge. And when cleaned, if over oiled even a bit (and most people over oil them), they really leech oil mist onto the MAF.

In short, the stock setup looks pretty good.

I had an LT1 Corvette ('95) for five years that I modded around on, so I have some experience upon which to draw.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:53 PM

For me much of the reason was for looks. I can say though that I did notice an imediate difference. I attribute it to a shorter/smoother passage for the airflow and a much less restrictive filter.

My wife's we left as is except for using a K&N filter. We still noticed a small performance difference, just not a significant as with the intake on mine. We both have 2.4's but the reasoning should apply to the 2.2.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:27 PM

I use a dry-flow cone filter and have my filter relocated to the driver fenderwell behind the foglight. When driving around town, even in our 100+ weather, I feel a HUGE difference over stock. Even touching the intake pipes. Why would you want your main restriction (paper filter and big box) sitting over your engine? This has to be one of the worse intake designs I have ever seen.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
For me much of the reason was for looks.
I'll be getting the CGS intake for the same reason. The turtle shell under the hood has got to go!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:55 PM

When I took the turtle shell off of mine to check the filter, I was thinking to myself "what idiot created this half assed design".

Granted there isn't much room under the hood, but they could have come up with something better.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 PM

It just doesn't make sense to me to take a new vehicle and try to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. The factory setup is tuned for the best compromise of power vs. efficiency vs. engine longevity. I used a K&N on my Vette for awhile, but went back to paper. Only perceptable difference was the oil appeared darker at oil change when the K&N was installed. But to each his own. No worries.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 PM

Lone Ranger, you brought up some valid points! However, due to much myth, lore and outright BS, accurate information may not fit well with the established beliefs here.

You are right about the issues with oiled filters and MAF contamination. It'll start happening soon.

While the stock box may be ugly (heck, I agree on that!), it is NOT restrictive!! I don't know how that misinformation came about. No, wait... I do!

With much data acquisition on a 2.4, the facts are that the intake is not restrictive. There is absolutely no pressure drop from lower RPMs all the way to redline at full throttle (mine's above stock). If any intake were restrictive it would be apparent with a pressure drop in the upper ranges.

Considerable digital thermocouple tests have found that drawing hot underhood air will result in intake air temps rising in the range of 35 - 40 degrees. That applies to both the stock intake drawing its air from the void where the CGS filter sits and the CGS itself. That temp differential calculated to about a 4 - 6 HP LOSS. This was confirmed on dyno runs.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 PM

It really depends on what you want. You do your research from Dealers to suppliers. Not all is true, not all is wrong, even in this thread. If you want it go for it. I did I have a 2.4, with an Imco t-924 muffler. I like the sound and the extra power. Why do any mods to a new car? Cause I want to, I want to be different and I can.
Do what your heart is telling you to do, but good question, why?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 PM

3 words, Why Be Normal.
whats the point of buying a car joining a forum and not actually doing anything to your car,I realize some mods kinda push the "does it really count as a mod button" like fuzzy dice,tint etc , but since the car was first put on the roads, people have opened them up to see what can be changed.Thats why we have car shows, aftermarket parts and wonderful paint colours.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

The air intake assembly on the HHR was designed for maximum efficiency in airflow AND noise reduction. When I bought my car I was amazed at how quiet it was at idle and under acceleration.

I really don't buy into the whole K&N thing anymore. I've used their filters in the past on other vehicles, but I never really noticed the 5 HP. It's like tacking a lawnmower engine on the car to help it out at that point.

If you're really building up the engine for performance, might as well get one of those fabbed manifolds with the LS throttle body on it if you really want some airflow.

Quick Reply: After market intake mods, why?