2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Air intake

I see alot and i mean alot of hhr owners with the CGS intake. is this actually the best intake or is it just a piece of metal that looks good. before i bought one i am goiung to design a ram air that goes to the right instead of the left but if that does not coming out right i want to go with something else.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM

If I was going to buy one, it would be the GMPP unit.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 PM

All of the "open element" types have a certain drawback which is a few HP decrease. The air filter sits right next to the engine and although it probably is getting better airflow, the engine compartment heat takes away the *cold* part of the cold air intake.

The GMPP, Airraid and the K&N use an air box to isolate the heat. I personally have the CGS for the cool factor. It opens up the view to those gorgeous twin cams. I also like the way an unrestricted intake sounds. I have noticed no difference in performance whatsoever and no effect on the MPG.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
All of the "open element" types have a certain drawback which is a few HP decrease. The air filter sits right next to the engine and although it probably is getting better airflow, the engine compartment heat takes away the *cold* part of the cold air intake.

The GMPP, Airraid and the K&N use an air box to isolate the heat. I personally have the CGS for the cool factor. It opens up the view to those gorgeous twin cams. I also like the way an unrestricted intake sounds. I have noticed no difference in performance whatsoever and no effect on the MPG.
Kind of true, if you are referring to the open element being the filter is not inside a box then you can easily have a cold air intake (longer pipe better filter postition) and increase HP and MPG. You are referring to the Short Ram Intake which is the one that puts the filter right next to the engine which is where most of the heat is so it kinda defeats the purpose.

An "open element" CAI would be better than SRI or stock with what mods everyone will be doing.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 AM

okay here is what i am thinking for the intake i want to create before i but a cgs. i am going o have the filter go to the right of the engine instead of the left and pick up some of that fast moving air off the front of the car. I have tested it and there is about a 10 degree difference between the air temp here and where the cgs locates it element. then i am ggoing to create a make shift ram air tube for it. either run it up in front of the radiator or use one of the fog lamp holes (how do i get to these?). and if that does not look good and give me some power than i am callin up cgs. ill post pics as soon as i start on it.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 AM

The Airaide is the closest to "Ram Air" that I know of. Thats the one I use and can tell the difference. Sounds cool too.