2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Custom Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info, Joe. I was wondering if the GMPP used a wet filter or not. I will check with AEM and find a filter with the right dimensions. To be honest, the one supplied by CGS is a little to big to fit-it rubs and vibrates against the fenderwell. I am sure a slightly smaller filter will not impede the CFM requirements of our little 4 banger.

As for exhaust, I actually feel a difference in the powerband when I open or close mine. With less back pressure, the engine feels stronger at high revs and less punchy when starting. But I do not believe the old theories about losing HP because of too little back pressure. It just relocates the optimum breathing (and power).

Note-I was about to come back and edit to ask if you were SURE that they did not need oil, since I looked at them on the Summit page and they look just like the K&N. Then, I went to their website and saw the description as a dry filter. Sorry for momentarily doubting you.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM

i am expecting the intake back from the welder tonight, hopefully. also i cut off the MAF bung off a stock intake and that was some tough cookies. but at least this way i wont have any issues with pipe diameters. for anyone wondering the stock maf tube diameter is like 2 3/8 inches. just a hair under 2.5 in so i think that 2.5 would work but for now im going to stick with the stock.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:21 PM

ITS DONE!!!!! well kinda, just got it back from the welder. also figured out that my filter may be a little bit too tall, but i got it to fit. ill post pics as soon as im home from work.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 AM

Okay here is the welded box, i plan to polish it to a nice shine then clear coat, lid is still in the works i cant really decide what to do. mounting will be easy but i will save that for later.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:21 AM

becuz the o.d of the metal pipe doesnt match the o.d of the stock tube,right? so its gonna be less dense,throwing off the M.A.F,right?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 PM

no i cut the maf bung off of a stock intake and it will be attached to avoid any issues for now. once tuning is more readily avilable then i will convert everything to stock. ill post pics soon of the box with the maf bung on it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

I'm curious, masterchief....

the picture of the air box you posted doesn't give much indication if the air filter is resting on the bottom of the box or is it suspended.

I would think if it was suspended, providing complete flow to the entire filter surface, would be the most beneficial. Did you take advantage of that?

Nice work...by the way
Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by masterchief1112
Okay here is the welded box, i plan to polish it to a nice shine then clear coat, lid is still in the works i cant really decide what to do. mounting will be easy but i will save that for later.

Looks good Someone is finally thinking outside the box errrr....yeah something like that
Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 PM

working on polishing it right now, takes longer than i thought. i am going to be working on the bracket and lid soon, just havent had alot of time.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:48 PM

My thoughts

If I was going to build one from scratch I would probably use the large cone filter like you did but completly put it outside the engine compartment where it is cool and it would be easier to do a "Ram Air" from in front of the radiator. Then if you could seal it and that would force most of the air to go in the intake or through the radiator.
Use an aluminum tube to get it to the MAF and throttle body and insulate the tubing real good to keep heat out. Charlie did something similar on Shaggy with a CGS and it works quite well. I think the stock tube diameter is not much of a problem as long as there is no sharp curves or bends to restrict flow. A straight tube that diameter would probably supply enough air for 600 HP no problem it is when you start adding bends it gets restrictive.
I would not worry about oil on the MAF if you put the filter far away from the intake and down towards the front of engine. Also the speed of the air going in the filter is very low with the larger filter.
The larger diameter filter is a good thing (low air restriction) but I think the stock diameter tube will maintain high air speed (for more of a ram air effect) and that is a good thing.
The keys there would probably be good insulation on the tubing to keep the heat out and no sharp bends. Curly

Quick Reply: Custom Air intake