2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Dual Exhaust

Have A 06 Hhr..2 Things I Need To Know.[1]is This A Muffle Or Resnator At The Rear Bumper?[2]has Anyone Removed It And Ran Without It?my Thinking Is To Remove It And Y The Pipe And Run A Straight Pipe From The Y To Rear Bumper On Driver Side And Another Pipe From Y To Pass Side Also..so See Would Have A Dueal Exhaust Look.what Would It Sound Like Without The Resanator/muffle?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Here is a thread with someone who has done dual exhaust: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=dual+exhaust
Old 03-16-2007, 08:15 PM

Few, have done a true dual system. Most have just run a second pipe to the passenger side.

There is a large resonator under the cab which leads to the muffler by the rear bumper. It a pain to run the pipes for any different set-up because of how the fuel line are run and how little open space there is underneath.

This thread is what I did.

LINK
Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Few, have done a true dual system. Most have just run a second pipe to the passenger side.

There is a large resonator under the cab which leads to the muffler by the rear bumper. It a pain to run the pipes for any different set-up because of how the fuel line are run and how little open space there is underneath.

This thread is what I did.

LINK
Actually NONE have a done a true dual system. It is impossible since we only have one cylindar bank. My setup just has a "y" pipe with 2 mufflers. Same with the other guys on here with dual exhaust. The first "muffler" you mentioned is a resonator. Running with just that and no other muffler will yield a Rice-y tone. Deep on the low side, loud an raspy on the top end. Use a muffler on each side for best results and tone!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 PM

my bad
Old 03-17-2007, 09:18 AM

try and reword this to what i thinking of doing..i'm only want to remove the big ugly muffle looking thing at rear bumper and replace it with just a pipe inplace of it and ;y; off that pipe to pass side FOR A LOOK LIKE DUEL EXHAUST
Old 03-17-2007, 10:05 AM

You will then be eliminating your muffler and it will, I'm guessing be much louder.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 PM

That is essentially what I did. At the beginning of this thread, someone linked a post about what I did to my car. I have a y pipe in front of my IMCO muffler going to the dual exhaust, execpt I have a header flange at the end of it making it into a Lake pipe. I have another flange with a matching chrome tip on it. If I put a solid plate inbetween the flanges, it blocks that pipe and all of the exhaust goes through the muffler. So the right side is just a fake pipe. But if I remove the plate, then I have open exhaust. While some of the gas will go through the muffler, much of it goes to the right side since there is less resistance there. The muffler still functions, and probably reduces the noise a bit-but it is still pretty loud. And the low-end does feel less responsive this way (not enought back pressure for the engine). Plus, I have the option of using a plate with holes in it, to adjust the sound level (and back pressure).

IMHO, it would probably be too loud on a regular basis with no muffler at all. I think my setup is perfect-but then again, I am biased
Old 03-18-2007, 02:49 AM

^-- exactly.

HotRod - If you run with just the resonator and nothing else then it will be loud. If you want a quieter tone then you would need to run 2 mufflers after your y pipe.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Thumbs up

Been there, done that. You will want to put an extra resinator in each side of y pipe. Even then it will be noticably loud, but not to wild. Mine has good deep tone at idle and under power, when you back off down hill, or downshift, it really rocks. You may notice more power at highway speeds.
I also have K&N air filter and ECM mod from Vector. The ECM made a diffenate power bust right up to 120kilos an hour.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust