2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Electric supercharger ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Electric supercharger ??

HI everyone I found this today not sure if anyone has heardof it, but its here in SOuth Fla. I will look into it. I emailed them today. Loks like the unit runs off 2 baterries and pushes 5 psi of boost over 15 second bursts. If its for real the price is good at 1700.00 if it can offer almost hassle free install. ANy way would like some input if anyone has heard of these.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by cperez1217
HI everyone I found this today not sure if anyone has heardof it, but its here in SOuth Fla. I will look into it. I emailed them today. Loks like the unit runs off 2 baterries and pushes 5 psi of boost over 15 second bursts. If its for real the price is good at 1700.00 if it can offer almost hassle free install. ANy way would like some input if anyone has heard of these.
so no help here, but you have a link or anything so others might be able to look and see?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM

sorry boosthead.com is the site. http://www.boosthead.com/home.php
Old 04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure if I agree with the entire concept. But again, it's not just the turbo or supercharger...it's the controlls into it....ecu. He will probably "piggy back" also and other people are doing that also. I do remember this guy from a number of years ago. He was legit at that time.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Regarding this design, and electric superchargers in general. This is a very inefficient way to force-feed a motor. There is energy lost each step of the way: going from alternator (which takes energy from your motor) to store it in multiple batteries, then back though an electric motor to drive air into the engine. I guess it is one way to get short bursts of energy, but it is severly limited (10 runs of 15 seconds?). That duration is much better suited to nitrous oxide injection. Easier to install and less expensive.

This electric supercharger is not cheap, and the price does not include multiple batteries, high amp alternator, or anything else you will probably need to make it all work, such as isolaters or solenoids, large gauge wire, capacitors, etc. You can easily add several hundred on top of the cost of that kit for those components. And as far as I can tell, this product is not application specific, so you will need to spend additional time and money fabricating parts and modifying the computer to make this work.

For all the expense and trouble you could have a real turbo or supercharger that would work ALL the time, and not just for short bursts of energy.

The statement about not accepting credit cards in the FAQ does not instill much confidence.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:00 PM

By the time you load all that stuff into your car you`ll lose any performance allegedly gained.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 AM

Didn't look at the site. From my truck forum, the idea of electric supercharges have been asked numerous. While they can work, for it to be truly effective, there would be so much current draw that it would require a much modified electrical system. And I've never heard of one battery powered......

Most of the ones you will find online are no more that builge pumps for boats. I could care less what sort of dyno's and info the claim to have. If you are lucky, you might see 1psi of boost. But, think of it this way also, it has to run constant, cause you just stuck a electic pump inside your intake tupe..... Talk about a plug. Add that to the benefit that you are hoping this less than $50 pump with all it's cheap plastic parts doesn't come apart and fly into your intake (those with boats know about bilgue pumps). I know there is one HHR owner that has installed not one, but two in his. As of yet no dyno to prove his "butt" dyno. He claims they make a huge differenance and he can smoke the tires (what mine could do the day I bought it). I have talked to numerous individuals that run forced induction. They all had the same reply to "electric supercharger", you get what you pay for.

Think of the RPM's a supercharger or a turbo spin at, then look at what a "electric supercharger" spins at. Make you own decision.

EDIT: I took a look at the site. Different than most I've seen. Still same idea.

Electic Nitrous......... LOL