2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Finally can afford to tune, but can’t find one

Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 AM

Finally can afford to tune, but can’t find one

I’ve owned my 08 HHR since early 2009 and will probably own it forever. I’ve researched everything about 2.2 NA performance that i can and I’ve been collecting parts as time/money allowed. I have Zzp mid-length headers, exhaust from a manual SS, an intake from a 2.4, better injectors, and a cold air intake. I haven’t installed anything yet as I want to get a tune to make the most of these parts. My only problem is, where do I get one? People have mentioned trifecta but I don’t see how to contact them. Has anyone used another company? Perhaps zzp?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

intake from a 2.4 ? do you mean exhaust manifold ? you stated you have a cold air intake

you can use zzp for the tune..or you can find someone who tunes with HPT.

just an FYI, dont expect too much with a tune on a 2.2 .. i got an 08 2.2 with same mods you mentioned and tuned via HPT and not much difference.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:41 AM

As far as intake from a 2.4, I read somewhere on here or the cobalt forum that the 2.4 had a longer intake runners below the throttle body and was good for power so I picked one up. I haven’t seen dyno info to back it up. But it also was almost free parts from a friend who wrecked her hhr.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:31 AM

Needing help finding current information

I just did some research through this wonderful site. The older pages on here have a lot of helpful stuff. It seems that posts made from 2009 to 2011-ish reported amazing gains from simple changes to exhaust and/or intakes with tunes. But now the links to tuners and such are all broken or abandoned. And anything recently posted just suggests to search the older posts. Does anyone know how/where to find a tune now?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Just a FYI.
If your starting a thread about looking for a tune, include your car info such year, engine, etc.

What I've read and seen over the years. Don't think there are any commercially available tunes for the 2.2 or 2.4's any more. (I could be wrong)
The SS 2.0 LNF still has tunes available.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:12 AM
Technical Moderator

Why not a super charger from a Cobalt? I doubt he intake manifolds are different, but a part number check would be more reliable than "Someone on the internets said".
Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM

I’m sad to hear that about the 2.2 tunes. I have a 2008 panel with all the stuff from an SS short of the motor. I have been collecting parts for a full performance update for a while now. I have been lurking on this site for a few years and recently decided to begin posting. I’ve gotten the intake and throttle body from a 2.4, the exhaust from an SS (standard transmission), zzp mid-length headers, and a cold air intake. I haven’t installed anything yet because I know that to get the most out of my mods I’ll need a tune. This was my first car and I’ve owned it since new. I’m finally at a point in life where I have the time and money to do what I always wanted in high school. And apparently 10 years was too long to wait.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:30 AM

To clarify what I mean by SS “stuff”. I bought an HHR SS at a salvage auction but it came with an Indiana “parts only” title. So I sold the motor for about the same price as I bought the car. And then sold the transmission to make a small profit. I put the body kit and interior in my panel first. Then I did the full suspension and the disc brake swap. And my profits from the sale of the transmission and other miscellaneous parts funded the purchase of the zzp header.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:36 AM

I’ve considered a supercharger. That still has issues with finding a way to tune it. And I’ve checked the part numbers as well as physically measuring. The 2.4 throttle body is bigger and the tubes are a little longer. Like I said before, I’ve been researching for a while now.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Technical Moderator

Merged the 2 threads.

What I was thinking was use a ECM from a Cobalt SC 2.4L. As far as I know, which ain't much, there are tune machines avail;able for purchase and websites for help DIY. There was a one in our for sale section a while ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally can afford to tune, but can’t find one