2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

The Front End Clunk...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 PM

The Front End Clunk...

So what's the deal on a clunking sound when driving, sounds like its from the front passenger side, the car seems like it has a slight tilt down to the left when in drivers seat and is all over the place when driving????
2008 Chevy HHR 2.2L - just bought it used. I took it in got new tires and brakes on front and payed $700 to replace both lower control arms as was directed by a mechanic and that didn't fix any of the issues. Can some one give me a clue here?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:44 PM

Hi Ashley, to the forums!!

I suggest you have a look through this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-pop-s-50648/?

There are a lot of parts that could be responsible for the noises you are hearing, this should help you narrow it down.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

And go back to the mechanic that did the lower control arms and insist he fix it. If its wandering all over the place like you say, do you really think its safe to drive?
Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Clunk, leans to the right? Could be a spring issue or a wrong replacement part , like LCA or strut
Old 04-14-2017, 02:35 PM

No I agree with u
Old 04-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Administrator

So what did the mechanic say? I've got more thoughts of what it could be , I don't want you shelling out more cash to him, he diagnosed it, he should fix it .
If you have the invoice do you have part numbers of what he replaced?
Old 04-14-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ashley Amburgey
So what's the deal on a clunking sound when driving, sounds like its from the front passenger side, the car seems like it has a slight tilt down to the left when in drivers seat and is all over the place when driving????
2008 Chevy HHR 2.2L - just bought it used. I took it in got new tires and brakes on front and payed $700 to replace both lower control arms as was directed by a mechanic and that didn't fix any of the issues. Can some one give me a clue here?
Originally Posted by Oldblue
So what did the mechanic say? I've got more thoughts of what it could be , I don't want you shelling out more cash to him, he diagnosed it, he should fix it .
If you have the invoice do you have part numbers of what he replaced?
unfortunately I haven't been able to take it back in yet, and they will probably tell me some bs. But I'll post the results of that as soon as I do.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Alrighty, we'll wait.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:58 AM

C

Originally Posted by Ashley Amburgey
clunking sound.
I had the same issue. Replaced control arms...no difference. Replaced front struts, problem solved. The control arm sound is more of a BANG.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

That's great it worked for you in the end, however there are so many other components in the front end that can cause various clunking/banging/rattling noises. The control arms often give no sound until they are WAY beyond the worn out point.

Throwing parts at it until the problem is resolved can get very expensive - a proper and complete check-over of the front suspension is often the best thing to do. Unfortunately often a "mechanic" will just sell you what works the best for their shops pockets.

The op never came back so we will never know the final outcome - the thread is almost a year old now.

Quick Reply: The Front End Clunk...