2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

HHR Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:26 AM

HHR Rotors

Looking for a source for rotors on my HHR.

I am not sure and it could be my driving, but I replaced the rotors and pads at 13,000 miles, due to vibration on the steering wheel when highspeed braking. At that time the pads looked to be at about 65% good or better.

I found a set of rotors, calipers and pads on line and purchased them. Used the rotors and pad as the person I bought them from told me they had less then 500 miles on them. Looked great and the vehicle ran perfectly after installing them.

Now it is starting to do the same thing at 18,000 miles. Chevy gets an arm and leg for the rotors.

I have found one source for SP high performance slotted rotors for $213 a pair at www.raceshopper.com Not sure if that is a great price or not?

Wondering if the cobalt rotors are the same as the HHR's?

Thanks

Wayne
Old 06-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Deceased

if the HHR is new, why didnt you let the warranty cover it.
it probably is more due to rotors warping and that is covered under warranty.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 AM

You can check one of our vendors....SoCal HHR's

http://www.socalhhrs.com/home.html
Old 06-26-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by cj krause
if the HHR is new, why didnt you let the warranty cover it.
it probably is more due to rotors warping and that is covered under warranty.
Exactly - why aren't you relaxing and driving a loaner car until the dealership takes care of it. You have 3 years/36k miles...

Old 06-26-2006, 09:44 AM

His first replacement was at 13k and I doubt it would have been covered under the warranty unless it can be proven that there was a flaw in either the rotors and / or pads. Wear items such as brakes aren't generally covered simply because wear on them has way too many variables. Some people are just hard on things like brakes, clutches and that sort of thing. In my circle of friends I know of several that will go through a set of brakes in less than a year, the same holds true for clutches. While at the same time my brakes usually last at least 100k and I haven't replaced a clutch in any of my car's / trucks in over 20 years (of course this doesn't apply to anything I race). We put 250k on our Festiva, and I only replaced the brake pads once, and when I sold it she was still on her original clutch.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by wayne
I am not sure and it could be my driving, but I replaced the rotors and pads at 13,000 miles, due to vibration on the steering wheel when highspeed braking. At that time the pads looked to be at about 65% good or better.

Now it is starting to do the same thing at 18,000 miles. Chevy gets an arm and leg for the rotors.
He said his steering wheel was vibrating, and it is starting to again. I understand replacing brakes is a highly variable item, but my point was the steering wheel vibration should not be happening, there is some other issue that needs to be addressed by the dealership. I have never owned a vehicle that had a vibrating steering wheel due to worn out brakes, let alone at 13k and 18k miles. That is warranty stuff.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by MikeX
He said his steering wheel was vibrating, and it is starting to again. I understand replacing brakes is a highly variable item, but my point was the steering wheel vibration should not be happening, there is some other issue that needs to be addressed by the dealership. I have never owned a vehicle that had a vibrating steering wheel due to worn out brakes, let alone at 13k and 18k miles. That is warranty stuff.
I have had several vehicles with warpped or warpping rotors and one of the indictors is vibration in the steering wheel so it could be something more than rotor warp but likely not or one would experience it all the time not just when braking. That said never hurts to make sure with a trip to the dealer.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by MikeX
Hey don't get so testy I was just pointing out the fact that brakes are wear items and not normally covered under warranty unless something failed. At 13k it's not unusual for brakes to be worn especially if the driver encounters lots of stop and go city driving, or lives in a hilly area. As far as the wobbly steering wheel goes it could be the result of the brakes wearing out (rotors getting warped), but if it was noticed before the brakes wend bad it should have been taken to the dealership for inspection. In my 40+ years of working on cars I've seen many wobbly steering wheels due to worn brakes and at a lot less than 13k. You may say it's warranty stuff but I don't think it's your call, let's let the dealership decide on that.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:50 PM

Obviously somethings going on with the brakes (front) in these cars....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/downhill-bad-brakes-2551/

jerij

BTW, I just replaced my disc pads with a new set from I don't remember, Street Plus pads or something or the other. They DEFINITELY have more bite. I haven't noticed any vibration yet but won't be back in Chattanooga until week after next.

And I take my car back to the dealer AS A LAST RESORT....
Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
Hey don't get so testy I was just pointing out the fact that brakes are wear items and not normally covered under warranty unless something failed. At 13k it's not unusual for brakes to be worn especially if the driver encounters lots of stop and go city driving, or lives in a hilly area. As far as the wobbly steering wheel goes it could be the result of the brakes wearing out (rotors getting warped), but if it was noticed before the brakes wend bad it should have been taken to the dealership for inspection. In my 40+ years of working on cars I've seen many wobbly steering wheels due to worn brakes and at a lot less than 13k. You may say it's warranty stuff but I don't think it's your call, let's let the dealership decide on that.
What did I say - take it in to the dealership.

Is that what I said - Yep.

Quick Reply: HHR Rotors