2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Magnaflow Exhaust question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Magnaflow Exhaust question?

I was wonder who one her has the magnaflow exhaust on there car. I was wondering hows the sound. I know exhaust systems are louder then stock we all know this. But I'm wondering is it raspy does it have annoying droom? I have a custom made bassani exhaust. I try to take for a 10hour drive it drove me nuts. I looking for something i can enjoy hearing not something I wanna crank up the radio to forget the sound.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Courtesy of one of our members - HHR_style: Soundclip of Magnaflow Exhaust on 2.2L

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 12-06-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM

That helps a little what about driving How does it sound in the cabin?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM

I have a 2.4 with the magnaflow system inside the cabin it's noticeable. When you step on it it's loud, but every day driving it's not bad and most of the time I drive with the stereo off. ( If I remember, I'll post an in-cabin vid on the magnaflow in around town driving within the next day or two.)

That said, it might get monotonous and tedious on long trips when you're carrying a full complement of passengers. in this situation the exhaust note resonates a little in the cabin, whereas with only yourself and one passenger the cabin resonance is not as apparent
Old 12-31-2009, 01:58 PM

I have added a magnaflow, not catback. Got the tip sligthly bigger (not resonated) and noticed it was louder than stock. Didn't realize just how quiet stock was. A bit loud in the first gear of transmission but once you get up to speed the drone drops...off the gass and you don't hear it. Much different than wife's honda who also has a magnaflow but no tip. Can't hear exhuast on it probably because resonator is just before muffler and the HHR resonator is further up by the converter. I thought of adding some heavy mat or something to reduce interior noise..Great sound though, doesn't sound like a honda with a huge pipe out the back. It makes the HHR sound aggressive...
Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
I have a 2.4 with the magnaflow system inside the cabin it's noticeable. When you step on it it's loud, but every day driving it's not bad and most of the time I drive with the stereo off. ( If I remember, I'll post an in-cabin vid on the magnaflow in around town driving within the next day or two.)

That said, it might get monotonous and tedious on long trips when you're carrying a full complement of passengers. in this situation the exhaust note resonates a little in the cabin, whereas with only yourself and one passenger the cabin resonance is not as apparent
My exhaust puts people to sleep on road trips. It's great for kids.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM

Have on one my 2008 2.2 .. sounds like the clip .. a litle cabin drone but not bad .. I don't even notice it anymore... Lets me know my remote start is working in the morning :)
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Magnaflow on the 2.2

I now have the Magnaflow installed on my 2.2 and really like the note.
No rice to be found anywhere.
Very happy with the tone outside and limited noise inside the cabin.
At least I know I have an engine now...

Get it installed and enjoy the music.
Wyo
Old 02-12-2010, 07:21 AM

What magnaflow muffler did you put on?

I have a 2.2 also and just want the muffler, but which one? I want a non ricer sound! Just a nice tone Thanx
Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 PM

Magnaflow Street

I just ordered the Magnaflow Street Performance 14829 stainless muffler with 4" tip,will be installing it next week. Hope it not too loud inside (drone etc.). would prefer a mild low rumble outside. maybe I should have got the IMCO 924 Turbo.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Exhaust question?