2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Old story, new person. A.K.A bolt on parts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Old story, new person. A.K.A bolt on parts.

Hi, my name is Richie, also known as Cat Man, I just read a post where people with bigger engines were bashing the 2.2 on this thread. I feel it wasn't right. Any way, I just bought a 2010 LS. It now has 118 miles on it. Being a hot rodder for a lot of years, I want to add some small H.P. gains to this engine. I've looked into the Air Raid cold intake and see that the air box is open at the front and looks like hot air could enter. The top looks like it is sealed by the hood. The cold air intake is stock OEM. It looks nice on paper, but does it work? Also I read an article about using a IMCO muffler and a Trifecta tune program. I would really like to put a header on it also. I hope the Doctah doesn't read this. Replies are welcomed.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 AM

Welcome to the forum Cat Man. I also have been inquiring about different air intakes that could improve the H.P. of my 2.2. If your HHR is an automatic and you are worried about hot air getting in the intake - you may want to look into the K&N Performance Intake Kit #63-3056. I contacted K&N about it and they said it is designed for HHR’s with automatic trannys. Unfortunately for me my HHR has the 5-speed (which I will not give up – to much fun). If you can find one, look for the GMPP air intake – a little salty in price, but they look great. I am currently running a K&N replacement filter in my stock air box and have seen a slight increase in power (when I really get on it) and a minimal increase in MPG. I have found that there are a lot of good post on here for information – happy searching.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 AM

Welcome to the forum, Richie

The tune is going to be the best bang for the buck and also the best way to use any performance gains from other mods (intake, exhaust, etc.) So you would want to accomplish many of those first, then do a tune.

I have the 2.4L and am in the planning/reading stage on mods myself. I think, although it's big, ugly, and a pain to change filters, the stock intake airbox does work. Many of the other available intakes may sound better and look nicer, but other than the two Tigger mentions don't get cold air.

For exhaust, a larger pipe system would be a good addition, personally all the aftermarket mufflers I've heard sound like "rice"...... nature of it being a 4 banger I think. That may not be a problem for you, but I'm reluctant to go that route until I hear something better than what I've heard.

Not bashing the 2.2L, but I am glad I have the larger motor, I may not be as happy with the 2.2L. What I have, stock, seems to run very well for what it is and I may end up with just a tune.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 PM

some have built there own and run the intake pipe down where the stock intake runs I have the 2.2 with the GMPP intake and it pulls air from the same place as the stock intake I feel that any thing that does not draw air from a position away from the engine compartment is not getting the effect of the cooler air JMO
Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 PM

I have the 2.2L also and find it does run quite well. I've traded in a V8 pickup with several mods (CAI, cat back, and custom tuning) for this and am pretty happy with even the 2.2. I did want the 2.4L, but not having driven one before I bought this, I'm still pleased.

I've done mods on several vehicles I have owned in the past, some results were really good, some just okay. Depending on what you wish to invest, and how much improvement you're looking for, you have to really continue what you're doing..... Get input from people who have done the mods, get their impressions of what worked, what didn't. Keep in mind, not everyone will have the same opinion of the results too. Don't be afraid to get a quote on a custom exhaust at a local shop either. I found that a full welded stainless system would have cost me just as much as the one I bought online. I could have also had more choices for mufflers/tips and tailpipe location.

The most important thing to do when you have added all the parts you want is to get tuning done. This is the best way to take advantage of any efficiencies created by the new parts and to make sure that things like air/fuel ratio are corrected to prevent any damage that may result of the parts swaps.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Short of a tune, and with experience with most of the intakes out there, you best bang for the $$ is a K&N filter in the stock intake. It is a fugly beast, but it can be dressed up. There is a dress-up kit. I originally just painted it and the fuse-bax cover. Made it look a lot better.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Short of a tune, and with experience with most of the intakes out there, you best bang for the $$ is a K&N filter in the stock intake. It is a fugly beast, but it can be dressed up. There is a dress-up kit. I originally just painted it and the fuse-bax cover. Made it look a lot better.
Exactly what I plan on doing to mine!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:11 PM

I made a bunch of changes

I have made a bunch of changes on my HHR. Changing the intake MANIFOLD out for a 2.4 model made a noticeable improvement.
I also put a 2.4 complete exhaust system with the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler and an Airiad intake filter. I had a Trifecta tune on it but have since removed it. I also tried a 2.4 throttle body on there.
My goal was to open it up so it could breathe better and get better mileage. It has helped a little in performance and mileage but nothing major. With the exhaust and the intake filter the car looks and sounds better.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 AM

I purchased a used CGS intake for my '07 2.2L and my results are equal to what other members have described: slightly better MPG (1-3MPG increase) and a RAWR sound when you floor it. Quiet as stock when cruising.

On a 750-mile highway trip with two passengers and the A-C on the whole trip I averaged 30.0 MPG.

There seems to be a dead spot in the accelleration around 2000 rpm that wasn't there with the stock air intake. Otherwise I'm satisfied with it.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:33 AM

turbo it...and get it tuned by trifecta...im just saying

Quick Reply: Old story, new person. A.K.A bolt on parts.