2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Stock SS turbo kit on 2.2

Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Stock SS turbo kit on 2.2

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before on here. I am quite new so please bear with me for not having done an intensified search vs posting a thread. I am curious to know.

1. How "tune able" is the 2.2 Ecu? Easy to get acces to? Etc.

2. Will the stock 2.0 ss exhaust manifold, turbo, o2 housing and down pipe fit on a stock 2.2?

Thanks

Rawdog

Last edited by rawdog; 06-03-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

1. Not exactly sure what you're asking.

2. Sure. Anything could be made to fit. Problem is, your gonna need a whole bunch more parts to make it work. Custom wiring harness, ecm, etc.etc.
Plus someone to custom fit all this to a non compatible engine. And the engine will need "beefing up" to handle the extra HP.
Not really a DIY project. Best to go the supercharger route. Or, buy a SS.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM

It is the expensive difficult way to make something work.

Lets face it if it were a good idea, cheap, easy and durable GM would have used the 2.2.

The things that GM modified to make the turbo engine was extensive and improved in many areas. Odds are you could do it but the durability factor would be slim. I would expect you would see head gasket issues, burnt valves, damaged pistons, crank and possibly a damaged block.

I would highly recommend buying these books and read up just what the differences in the Ecotec engines are and learn how and were each has strengths and liabilities. The top book covers in detail what most parts of the engine will take before breaking in the 2.0-2.2 and 2.4.

In the end you would be much better off buying a uses SS as odds are you will keep it on the road more and in the end it would be much cheaper vs. all the repairs.

Keep in mind too that these engines are much like a Stealth fighter and need the precise programming and ability of the computers to keep them alive. This is a major part of how we can today have a small 4 cylinder that can deal with 23-24 pounds of boost today in normal driving conditions. The hardware improvements just back it up.