2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

For those looking to Force Feed the 2.2 ECOTEC....

Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM

For those looking to Force Feed the 2.2 ECOTEC....

Just a note. Before you look into your expensive Supercharger or Turbo app please be aware that no one yet has been able to crack the 2.2's ECU and therefore are NO tuning option available. The HHR stock ECM cannot read positive manifold pressure (IE boost) and will put your HHR into "limp" mode if you attempt this.

There is ONE exception. If you have a 2007 HHR with the new 2.2 Ecotec ECM which is identified as having a coil-on-plug ignition system you are lucky. These engines can be tuned by HPTuners. Changing an 06 2.2 to and 07 2.2 is VERY costly and not worth the trouble.

For those INTENT on getting forced induction you would have to convert your HHR to a stand-alone management system like Megasquirt etc... They are also costly and require a LOT of knowledge for Fuel Mapping, Ignition timing, MAP sensor readings, and general engine management. This is not for the average shade tree mechanic. Although there is a LOT you can do with one such system please do your research and find one that is good for you.

I hope this info is useful to some that come in and anyone that has anything to add please feel free to do so. I am just trying to make sure people don't get their hopes up with advertised "bolt on" applications for Turbos/Superchargers for these awesome autos!

EDIT:: Piggy backing systems may work on the 2.2 since it doesn't actually edit the HHR ECM coding. These kinds of systems do just what they say, they ride the back of your ECM and CHANGE what the ECM "sees" to make the ECM put out more fuel or possibly "hide" a positive manifold pressure (boost).

Apex'i AFC setups DO NOT work on the ECM for ANY of the newer ecotecs. 2.0/2.2/2.4

Last edited by en0oNmAI; 01-08-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 PM

Very helpful info Jason...but I have no plans on force feeding my "Smoke". I'm happy with my HHR the way it is and have done enough performance mods to keep me happy. Thanks for the info...I'm sure there are others who might be thinking about souping up their 2.2's.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 PM

so does this mean that speedmafia's piggy back set up doesn't work? i mean they claim it to work on the ion,
Old 01-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Deb.. I posted this since I have seen a LOT of posts on turbo/supercharging setups that people want to try. Like using the Cobalt SS Supercharger on a 2.2.

UpOnGaMe.. See edit above.. Thanks for pointing that out. I would like to make it a sticky that way it stays on top and people can refer to it for any questions they may have.

The only reason I have learned a lot on this subject is because of my addiction to boost. I need to force feed my HHR one day! Or get a SS when they come out!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 AM

do we even have stickys about performance, like the famous which intake is better? there should be one on that saying SEARCH n do your own research
Old 01-09-2007, 10:17 AM

UPDATE:::: This was copied from Jonyyl's other forum Cobaltss.net

Written by Halfcent:::::
That's right folks, the 2005-2007 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L L61 cars with the E16 ECM is FINALLY going to be getting some tuning! SCT was contracted by Garrett to create a packaged flash tune for their upcoming turbo kit release in the first quarter of 2007. As a result, SCT will also be able to incorporate the ECM hack into their regular custom tuning software called "Advantage 3.0".

http://www.sctflash.com/

Advantage work exactly like HP Tuners does. But they have one additional option that is pretty cool. Once a shop gets a custom tune made for your vehicle, they don't just flash your car and send you on your way. They upload the tune into their device called the LiveWire. It can store up to 3 different tunes, so say a stock tune, your boosted road tune, and your race tune. Then you can switch between those tunes, on the fly, in your car, whenever you want! On top of that, the LiveWire is an OBD2 device with analog inputs, datalogging, and real time data display! It's just too damn cool.

Now I haven't confirmed yet, but I believe you can buy the Advantage software package for yourself as well, just like you could buy the full the HP Tuner software package. Then you can do your own tuning outside of the shop whenever you wanted.

This is good news to ANYONE wanting to get anything better from the 2.2 engine.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 AM

When is your kit going to be available for purchase? Have you tested this on an HHR? Will all the plumbing work with the curves on the HHR? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

I repeat the above request...^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Also; - it has not yet been verified that the Cobalt and HHR share the exact same ECM. Even if the module is the same, the OS code could be different. We have heard from people who build SEMA cars for GM that could not sucessfully boost an HHR. Some proof of HHR compatability would be nice. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:34 PM

good thing I have a 2007 with the 2.2 Ecotec!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those looking to Force Feed the 2.2 ECOTEC....