2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

trifecta on a 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

trifecta on a 2.2

yes im bringing this up again ...
1. who here has done it on their 2.2 and what kind of gains did you get?
2. did you go through a dealer or straight to Vince?
3. im hearing a lot of issues with these tunes which calls for datalogging and sending them back to the dealer or Vince..whats the respons time on this?
4. how much does it cost WITH the datalogging (is it unlimited?)
5. does the tune take premium gas or regular gas? because id like to stay on regular due to gas prices
6. annnddd whatever other info you would like to share on this

im trying to figure this out, the trifecta website is kinda confusing, and want to get this sorted out because i want to Tune as soon as im done my mods.

thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

i messaged a "dealer" and they said they tune for premium gas only and the 'select-a-tune' is not offered for the 2.2 ...wtf
...soo is HPT the way to go then?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM

so how do expect to get max performance and mileage on regular gas?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

does the ecm control gas grade or is it the engine in general? ..putting premium gas in a 2.2 is a waste of money..unless the tune "over writes" the gas grade?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM

I picked up an awesome deal on a jet stage 2 ecu and maf sensor. I installed the maf sensor last week and the stage 2 chip today. I know this plug and play tune isn't as comprehensive as the trifecta or hpt but I can tell you that my car is night and day difference. Now on the 1/2 shift it will kick the traction control on. It shifts much quicker under full throttle and worlds smoother at partial throttle. Top end pulls harder and it now is much easier lug along at Low rpms. I went from getting 34 to 36 mpg @ 70 mph to 38 to 40 mpg @ 70 mph. I was surprised by how much difference this made as I honestly just picked it up because I got an awesome deal and had all intentions of using the trifecta tune. Of course this does require premium so it's probably out for you.

On the trifecta I've contacted Vince directly and it took him a long time to get back in touch with me. Id feel safer if id have a dealer/installer nearby who could make changes or tweaks without long turn around. It does however offer more flexibility in future mods.

Either path you decide trifecta or hpt seems to have detractors and supporters on this site. I am pretty positive that unless issues arise I'm more than pleased with how my mods currently work together. I think if I just stick with an exhaust mod next and don't go crazy and get a 2.0 Tb and 2.4 intake manifold and header, then I'm set :-)

Good luck
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 PM

I am "NO" brain when it comes to knowledge on the ECM but I do believe that the ECM learns or reacts to the grade of gas being used and after a few startups is then set for whatever grade you run! It would then be a waste as you say to upgrade your gas when it learned you were running regular! That said I believe Vince can write your new tune to the 2.2 and regular gas or if you wanted to switch to premuim gas he would write over the stock settings with the tune! The major part of Vinces tuning we like is when he deleted the fuel enrichment delay! That part alone removed the 1 to 1 1/2 second delay you feel when stepping on the gas! Our's is a 2.4 and let's just say even with the tune it's still a turd, a tuned turd, but a turd never less

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

The brain is constantly monitoring for most efficient & optimal operating timing & fuel mix, octane & etc...

Any time you change grades of gas octane, brain will slowly re-learn that grade, & respond accordingly..

edit: this may be most noticable on the 2.4 tho..
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 AM

In stock form, the 2.2 will not see any gain from anything above 87. It's turned for that. The 2.4 is tuned to operate on "premimum" (what octain that is according to GM? no clue). That's why it's "recommended" for the 2.4, but not required. I've never understood that about the 2.4, it's not a performance motor. Unless it's strickly for a knock concern.

When you get a custom tune written, it can be written to what ever octain you want to use.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

thanks for the all the info everyone..thats what confuses me thou considering this dealer says vince only writes for premium gas and the 2.2 isnt supported..yet on the website it says it is....he also said he never has done an HHR but has done many Cobalts..so im wondering how competent this dealer is, maybe just go through Vince and cross my fingers that he responds fast enough and sends out files to me if i have issues
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

ive been doing some reading on the HPTuners and the 2.2L is not listed as a supported egine on their website..but it is on Trifecta website yet they are telling me its not..can anyone out there that has tune their 2.2 cofirm any of this?
wth is so special about this ecu on the 2.2? geez making this so difficult lol

Quick Reply: trifecta on a 2.2