2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Best Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM

Best Intake

I'm looking to put a new intake on my HHR and was wondering some opinions on which would be the best one to buy.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 PM

If you are looking strictly for performance, you may want to consider keeping what you have. I'd be hard pressed to really recomend one that did much more than look good. Most do worse than stock. I've had two, CGS and GMPP. CGS looked great but little performance. GMPP gave me a little extra overall, but did give me 4-5 more on the low end.

This is mostly from memory, I'd have to dig up the dynos.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:25 PM

what is the best air intake.

Originally Posted by AlabamaHHR07
I'm looking to put a new intake on my HHR and was wondering some opinions on which would be the best one to buy.
I have the 2.4 engine and installed the K & N replacement for the stock paper filter notice a performance increase for a little more than $40.00 I have done this on my last 3 cars.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM

I have a Airaid on mine and like it. It feels stronger and sounds good. I live in Grand Bay and work in Mobile. You could come drive mine and see what you think.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:59 PM

I tossed the factory air filter system for the K&N. I like the soun d the increase in power and most of all the ease of removing and cleaning. The stock filter has much less filter area, take too much time to pull and replace, and adds too much weight. Replace the entire intake system with the K&N intake system. You will love it
Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM

But who can show that the HP gain from the K&N? And does the small increase justify a couple hundred bucks? I'd said, yeah, replace the filter with a K&N.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM

Gmpp

I recommend the GMPP intake. Those who don't usually dislike it because of the price..... NOT engineering, performance or sound. Don't buy ANY intake that breathes underhood air, you'll simply spend money and lose horsepower. This was recently verified on a dyno. Also, any intake with an oiled filter has the potential to oil your sensors and throw codes. The only intake I could find that uses a plain (un-oiled) filter, is a sealed unit, and breathes outside air is the factory GMPP intake kit. BTW, the wooly worm intake hose to the fender is no restriction at the airflow of an HHR 2.4 liter. The intake cost me $400, but I think it is worth the money. It definitely gives you more power, and you can ask Andy (STRYKER) as we installed his together. The fact that it sounds good, looks good and is rugged is just gravy. Search the forums for GMPP and you'll see several threads. I've never seen anyone with a complaint about the GMPP, or that it doesn't do what it claims. The only complaint is the cost....either you can swing it or you can't. God Bless, Marc PS, I hear the K&N is just as good at power, but it uses an oiled element....if that is not a problem for you go for it.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Hey Mike, Hib did a dyno test and saw gains from a K&N. He was also the one who verified that the wooly worm isn't a restriction in the system. At least, it isn't a restriction on a non-turbo or non-supercharged car. God Bless, Marc
Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 PM

I had both the K&N intake and GMPP intakes side by side. For performance, I felt the KN was better than the GMPP and it could be the tube structure and cone filter. Versus the GMPP which has a performance increase from stock but not as high as the K&N filter. I only switched to GMPP because I live in Cali and its hard to get CARB certs around here.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
Hey Mike, Hib did a dyno test and saw gains from a K&N. He was also the one who verified that the wooly worm isn't a restriction in the system. At least, it isn't a restriction on a non-turbo or non-supercharged car. God Bless, Marc
I too did dynos. Like I said, little gain with the CGS. The GMPP wasn't much better except on the low end. Overall, the stock system is outstanding and hard to beat w/o spending $400 for very modest gains.

Seeing gains is one thing, seeing gains substantial enough to justify spending $100's is another. I'm on my 5th set-up now and speak from experience, dyno'd experience.

If you want substantial increases, you've really only got three choices if you want to keep the same motor: nitrous, supercharge, or turbocharge. The only one I haven't done is the s/c but I think once I get the tuning right, I'll be very happy with the turbo.

Quick Reply: Best Intake