2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

changing valve springs

Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Question changing valve springs

Wanna get these so I can up my boost from 12 to 18-20.

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...1112&catid=143

My question is...how?

Anybody able to help me out with some directions? Not afraid of getting into the motor, just don't know how big a job this is going to be or where to even start.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 PM

You can change valve springs easily in the car with some air pressure; threaded into the spark plug hole. Since this is a DOHC engine with fairly light valves, you should only need about 60-85 psi to hold the valve up. I can't give an accurate answer on correct psi because I have only changed factory V8 valve springs in a car before which are fairly heavy.and those required about 100-120 psi to hold a valve up. I have disassembled an ecotech head on a cylinder head disassembly station and it is just like any other head. As far as anything specific to the ecotech, I do not know.

Edit: If your looking for durability, I would send the head out to a machine shop. Just because they list those springs to fit, they could destroy the valve train if not set up correctly. Valve Springs have one of the hardest and most important jobs in an engine. You have to check installed height, spring pressures, seat pressures (open and closed), etc. Too little spring pressure will float the valves and too much will wipe out parts. But it is better to have a little more pressure than you need because valve springs will lose up to 10% of their tension after their first heat cycle. I am new to the ecotech engines but this mainly applies to all engines. I am sure someone more familiar with the ecotech valve train will post up what they recommend.

Also are you swapping cams as well? I don't see how just swapping springs will let you increase the boost that much. You should have cams that take advantage of the new valve springs. But, I am new to ecotechs so please inform me.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 PM

yeah, this is gonna be more work than I can do and can't afford to pay to have done