2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Code problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Code problem

I finally broke down and called CGS to see it they were familiar with the codes we get and they were. The first thing they asked was if I brought my car in for the computer upgrade. Strangely, me dealer never told me about it. They said it should solve the problem.

My question-will this upgrade override the tune I had done at Tunetime Performance? I certainly dont want to lose it since it is the biggest performance boost I have done.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM

I'd give Matt a call. I could be wrong but it might undo the tune. We never heard about a compouter upgrade either and we'd had our HHR in for similar problems as yours.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:29 PM

That was the first thing I did. I took it back to Matt, and he reset the computer to stock factory and I still had the problem. So he reinstalled the tune. I asked if he could vary the settings for a wider range to elilminate the problem but he didnt think that would help.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Lee,

We PM'd a LONG time ago about this issue. I had told you that GM had an updated calibration file that changed the sensitivity parameters that could trigger codes you were experiencing. You ignored that.

I also told you that the updated GM calibration would overwrite your tune, but that Matt at Tune Time would know how to handle that, by copying the newer calibration, then copying your changes onto that and then writing the new GM calibration with his changes to the ECM. You chose to ignore that also.

Oh, well.........
Old 09-29-2008, 02:38 PM

I meant to call Matt about your tune being erased.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
Lee,

We PM'd a LONG time ago about this issue. I had told you that GM had an updated calibration file that changed the sensitivity parameters that could trigger codes you were experiencing. You ignored that.

I also told you that the updated GM calibration would overwrite your tune, but that Matt at Tune Time would know how to handle that, by copying the newer calibration, then copying your changes onto that and then writing the new GM calibration with his changes to the ECM. You chose to ignore that also.

Oh, well.........

Joe, I would never ignore you. I listen to and respect everything you say.

I have been doing some research on it. Spoke to Matt and he said that the dealer can not do their work on my computer until he restores it to stock. This means that I have to drive to him (3 hours round trip with no traffic), bring the car to the dealer, then bring the car back to Matt again (another 3 hour trip). I have been trying to see if there are any alternative ways to solve this problem.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM

Lee,

Just got off the phone with Matt. The problem is that when he tuned your car, he "tuner locked" the ECM, so nobody else can access it. So, with that, he'd have to unlock it before the dealer could write the updated calibration. Sux, but in your case, no real alternative. Sorry.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM

So I guess I will have to do the 2 trips. Just to be sure, the recalibration that the dealer does will definitly solve the problem? I know you told us about it-but why is the dealer so ellusive about it. I have been complaining to him about it for 1 1/2 years, and all he said is that it is due to my intake and they would not warranty it. They did tell me that the MAF is getting a wrong signal then sending it to the computer which is disabling my traction control as a safety to prevent engine damage. All they told me was that I need a new MAF sensor and they would not cover it.

The people at CGS said that the dealer was totally incorrect in not covering the sensors since they have nothing to do with the intake. I did take it to 2 different dealers and they both refused due to the CGS. But if you recall my battery posts, it was obvious that my factory battery had a bad cell. Only in cold weather, the car would not start. Once I jumped it, it fired right up and would instantly restart, indicating that the battery had not been discharged since it clearly did not have enough running time to recharge. And this only happened when it was cold outside, not in warm weather. Yet, my dealer stalled and refused to replace the battery for 2 years blaming it on my new stereo. They kept making me wait hours while they charged it with their charger, then checked it on their tester and showed me the battery was fine. Next day, the car wouldnt start again. Finally I went it with the service bulletin that I got here on this forum which prompted them to test the battery with their 'other' tester. This one showed a dead cell and they replaced the battery. Just goes to show you how they try to get out of warranty work when they can.

I was hoping that Matt at Tunetime could redo the calibration the dealer does himself, so I would only need to make one trip to his shop. My other fear is that when he tunes it, he undoes what the dealer did and I get the codes again.

Maybe it is time to try to get another computer so I can just mail it to Matt to unlock, have the dealer upgrade it, then mail it back to Matt for the performance tune. Would save me at least 6 hours of driving time and all that gas.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:44 PM

No guarantee that this will solve the problem.

In the end, Matt will be able to recalibrate the MAF transfer function tables to eliminate any errors due to the intake.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Founding Member

Lee,

It appears to me that your dealer has already made the call and is not willing to update the program at all. Have you asked if the manager will he put the lastest update in if you remove the CGS and the tune?

Quick Reply: Code problem