2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

EcoTec Tuning

Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM

EcoTec Tuning

So I've had my HHR almost two weeks now and I'm getting the urge to mess with it. I have kind of a noob question about EcoTec...can it be tuned to produce more performance? My buddy has a 99 Prelude with some work done to it and he had it tuned after installing an Apexi Neo and it picked up a noticible amount of performance (granted he also has CAI, headers, full exhaust, etc).

Now I know that Chevy's EcoTec and Honda's VTech are two different things, but how different are they? Adding a piggy back ecu to an HHR with a version of variable valve timing shouldn't be any different than the Honda boys, should it?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:21 PM

The HHR has VVT don't waste your money on a ecm!!

Check out my site for ECM tunes.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 PM

Find a tuner that supports EFIlive, and use him to your advantage as you go down the modding path.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Really, I found that there is not much you can do to a 2.4 EcoTech unless you want to spend BIG money with a full-up build of the internals. You'll probably need forced induction too. In other words, not much bolt-on is going to do you much good. Look at it this way, you already have a relatively big displacement four, with 4 valves per cylinder, dual overhead cams, variable valve timing, computer controlled fuel injection. Not much more to add. If it was a V-8 it would be around 350 hp. Not shabby. I have seen some numbers on Chevy's GMPP boosted drag cars and salt flats racers quoting 750 to 1,000 hp for short bursts. I doubt they live long at that level, and they cost BIG money.

All that said, the things you can readily do are add a header, freer flowing exhaust (usually adds loudness), a good intake that is enclosed and breathes outside air (I like my GMPP), and then a TriFecta tune. They seem to be the leader in EcoTech tuning, and I have heard no complaints about them. I am guessing that the header, exhaust and intake may give you 10 hp combined (I am guessing, and that is a big maybe). The tune on top maybe would add another 5 to 10 hp?? So you are looking at what, maybe 190 hp or so? In any event, running premium in the 2.4 is a given if you want power.

I hope this helps. God Bless, Marc
Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
Really, I found that there is not much you can do to a 2.4 EcoTech unless you want to spend BIG money with a full-up build of the internals. You'll probably need forced induction too. In other words, not much bolt-on is going to do you much good. Look at it this way, you already have a relatively big displacement four, with 4 valves per cylinder, dual overhead cams, variable valve timing, computer controlled fuel injection. Not much more to add. If it was a V-8 it would be around 350 hp. Not shabby. I have seen some numbers on Chevy's GMPP boosted drag cars and salt flats racers quoting 750 to 1,000 hp for short bursts. I doubt they live long at that level, and they cost BIG money.

All that said, the things you can readily do are add a header, freer flowing exhaust (usually adds loudness), a good intake that is enclosed and breathes outside air (I like my GMPP), and then a TriFecta tune. They seem to be the leader in EcoTech tuning, and I have heard no complaints about them. I am guessing that the header, exhaust and intake may give you 10 hp combined (I am guessing, and that is a big maybe). The tune on top maybe would add another 5 to 10 hp?? So you are looking at what, maybe 190 hp or so? In any event, running premium in the 2.4 is a given if you want power.

I hope this helps. God Bless, Marc
Well said sir. (golf clap)
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 PM

its very true if you want to exceed getting more than 20 or so hp over stock plan to spend some big money. 2-3k for a turbo about 2k for a supercharger swap. or nitrous being the cheapest but not reccomended for unexperienced.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 AM

Spirited Driver, I am merely standing on the shoulders of others, since I am an expert at nothing. These boards are such a great place to learn. :-) God Bless, Marc
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM

Which is why I am engine swapping.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:39 AM

I've pretty much moved on from this idea...this car is my daily and if I really wanted to make some serious power, I'd either trade it for an SS and hop that up or get something with a bigger motor. Was more of a "can it be done" and "would it be beneficial" question. Thanks for the input on this guys, it is much appreciated as always.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:35 PM

So 1970Judge, how DO you get a 455 Super Duty under the hood of an HHR? Heh, heh. God Bless, Marc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EcoTec Tuning