Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.4L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/)
-   -   Hahn Racecraft Turbo Kit (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/hahn-racecraft-turbo-kit-9257/)

fastsuv 07-13-2007 06:56 AM

Hahn Racecraft Turbo Kit

I don't know if this has been posted before, but Hahn racecraft is releasing a 2.4L turbo complete kit for the Cobalt SS (auto and manual) for $3995. I E-mailed them to see what is needed to make this kit work on the HHR, or whether they will offer an HHR-specific kit.

You can check out Hahn's description of the kit at tyhe Cobalt forum:

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=62253

Steve

CrashMan82 07-13-2007 08:03 AM

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to throw something like that in in the spring of '08 (wife wants to buy a new house first :D )

betterof2evils4 07-13-2007 08:29 AM

To make it easier, here's the link to the dyno graph:

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums//show...t=62253&page=7

That way you don't have to go through the whole thread :thumb:
They said they used HHR (either directly or informatively, IDK) when they were designing.:D

hnewagn 07-13-2007 08:48 AM

Hnewagn has been saved no SS for me just a turbo kit.:thumb:

GDZHHR 07-13-2007 09:31 AM

When I see that this has been done on a HHR or three, then, I'll get interested. Been hearing news like this for over a year now w/o any actual HHR results.

betterof2evils4 07-13-2007 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR (Post 169970)
When I see that this has been done on a HHR or three, then, I'll get interested. Been hearing news like this for over a year now w/o any actual HHR results.

No doubt... Always get my hopes raised, but then no actual proof that a kit works.. :roll:

eat_world 07-13-2007 04:18 PM

i would def wait until someone comes out with something to disable the VVT.
moving cam+turbo= major no no

Premiere07 07-13-2007 04:31 PM

I would be interested in the turbo kit, better than the SS HHR as far as price, however the fascias of the SS look better.

JoeR 07-13-2007 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by eat_world (Post 170116)

Uhhhh.... The 2.0 LNF Turbo has VVT!! :confused: :D

hnewagn 07-13-2007 05:47 PM

I called Hahn Racecraft today, The kit will not work on a HHR so they took my email address and said they would update me when or if they will build it. I think they are trying to see how many people will want a kit b4 they make it.

en0oNmAI 07-14-2007 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by eat_world

Joe is right. The new Turbo LNF motor has the VVT on it. A VVT or VTEC system actually HELPS the turbo by giving better flow to help spool the turbo and bottom end when the turbo is spooling. The "moving" cam will also allow for better and possibly longer openings to allow more of that sweet boosted air into the combustion chamber as well.

Originally Posted by hnewagn
I called Hahn Racecraft today, The kit will not work on a HHR so they took my email address and said they would update me when or if they will build it. I think they are trying to see how many people will want a kit b4 they make it.

The reason this kit is not available for the HHR yet is because the piping would be different for the intercooler. We have a completely different engine bay arrangement and routing choices than a Cobalt has. So this kit COULD work as long as you dont mind fabbing your own piping. Just takes some creativity. Other than that the turbo, manifold, tuning hardware and everything else BESIDES the piping WILL work. The HHR is JUST A Cobalt wagon.

turbo wanabe 07-14-2007 08:55 AM

Hi, I am new to this forum but I have been reading it for a long time. I own an 07 HHR Fall Edition and also own an 07 GXP Solstice. My GXP in currently at Hahn Racecraft. They are using it as there test mule. I left my HHR with them for a week so they could evaulate it to see if there Colbat kit would fit. Bill Hahn said the only part of the Colbat kit that would work was the exhaust manifold and the turbo. The tuning would be the same, but all the plumbing and intercooler would have to be made for the HHR. I now if they receive enough interest in a kit for the HHR they will build it. I drove there Colbat that has there Turbo/intercooler Stage 2 kit on it and all I can say is I want one on my HHR. It will fry the tires when the turbo comes in. Here is a link to there web site, http://www.*************.com/ they build some really awesome turbo cars. On there home page, click on the (Take a Hahn RaceShop Tour w/ V8 TV) and see what they can do for a Mustang. When they were outside filming the Mustang the HHR in the back ground is mine. If any of you guys are interested in a turbo kit for our HHR's, PLEASE email them and say BUILD US A KIT. I know you will love the power. It is amazeing the power that the 2.4 will make.:thumb:

HillsdaleHHR 07-14-2007 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 40644 to the site turbo wanabe!!!

upOnGamE 07-15-2007 04:47 AM

Thsi company is WAY more respected then the other claiming the turbo kit....People who know about them should know there in it to win it. Simply put they were working on the turbo for at least a year and a half but wouldn't release ANY info because they wanted it to be reliable before they did........Now with the SS coming for sure there will be many "performance" appearance packages for us i.e. hood, other body kits, etc.........

hhrcrafty 07-15-2007 06:56 AM

Tell Mr. Hahn that I want one! I've been waiting almost two years now! If he can build 'em for PT Losers, he can make 'em for us too!

Black Beauty 07-15-2007 12:31 PM

I`ve been checking back and forth on this thread, with interest, and I know that Hahn has a good reputation, but it appears they`re just testing the water and throwing out feelers.
I think a better option would be to just transplant an entire 2.0l turbo powerplant into the HHR and work the suspension.
What`s the expectation of hp with a turbo on a 2.4l anyway... will it be more than the 260hp in the 2.0l, and what about the internals, there`s a lot of parts that would need to be strenghthened to be reliable not to mention the warranty issues.

turbo wanabe 07-15-2007 01:17 PM

Here is a page from Hahn's web site on the Colbalt kit. Check it out. http://www.*************.com/New_Fol...20Solution.pdf

Black Beauty 07-15-2007 01:27 PM

Looks like a good external set-up, and the hp is impressive, for about $5,000.00 parts.
No internal parts on the page..., rods, pistons, gaskets, injectors, you know the other little things. Looks like they focused on intercooling.

hhrcrafty 07-15-2007 11:30 PM

Hahn's had the 2.4 engine reliable up to 450 HP with no internal mods. 290 is nothing for the stock Ecotec internals at the insanely LOW boost settings from the Garrett turbo. The only reason why they're capping the boost is to make it run on pump gas and not destroy the 4T45-E transmission. Of course, if Archie can run a 400 HP small block on an ancient 2T40 transmission in a Fiero, I think our automagic could handle a little more power :)

Injectors--Hahn uses their own "add-on" injection system that adds four more injectors at the port between the head and intake manifold. That way they can just add a piggyback computer and not have to screw around as much with the stock PCM. Pretty seamless setup--a lot better than when the Honda guys would throw a Mitsu turbo on a B16 VTEC and put a fifth injector on the CAI tube to keep it from blowing up!

290 HP does beat the 260 on the 2.0 DI Turbo, but the final gearing, power-to-weight, and PCM program will make all the difference on the track.

upOnGamE 07-16-2007 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty (Post 170790)
Looks like a good external set-up, and the hp is impressive, for about $5,000.00 parts.
No internal parts on the page..., rods, pistons, gaskets, injectors, you know the other little things. Looks like they focused on intercooling.

Wow your lost, hanh has been working on this kit for 2 years, their stock cobalt 2.4L hit 290hp and ran 13.7 at what was it 8-9psi? you can easily push it to 10 and hit 300hp, The ecotec build book says are internals are good for 350 (correct me if i'm wrong) Also the they have one in the rwd 2.4L and pushed upwards of 400hp..........Piston, rods..wtf? if you want your engine re-worked to handle 400-500hp with out a thought other wise you shouldn't have got the HHR in the first place. This kit is intented to add some hp not make your car a f'n corvette.

Black Beauty 07-16-2007 06:20 AM

Yeah, a little lost...
Just saying that slapping a turbo on the outside without addressing any other aspect internally is a recipe for disaster.
My Caravan has upgraded internals that are non-compatable with non-turbo engines, and pistons and rods fall under that cat. It`s not a Viper or Hemi, but the laws of physics still apply. More air, more pressure, looking for somewhere to escape, hey there`s a gasket up there... maybe???

hhrcrafty 07-16-2007 10:56 PM

Don't need to o-ring the stock engine until you're pushing a LOT more than the 8-9 psi Hahn's squeezing on the motor. Stock internals are fine up to 450 HP or so. Not a problem for a Stage I kit.

guygti22 07-23-2007 12:00 PM

do they take a check?

i want one asap.
who would want to turbo a cavalier anyways. thats so mid 90's. they need to introduce turbo to us first .!!! not the highschool boys. lol

upOnGamE 07-23-2007 02:22 PM

Well its out and if you want it just email hanh or take a road trip up there and show that you have money in hand and i bet they'll fab it right up.

cperez1217 07-23-2007 04:12 PM

alpine has one for the 2.2 same issue though the programming and tubing for the intercooler.

JoeR 07-23-2007 04:33 PM

Who needs a real turbo, when the HP trick here is just the CGS hot air intake and the IMCO T-924 "turbo" muffler??? :confused: :lol: :D

upOnGamE 07-23-2007 05:39 PM

What i want is to modify the 05 ecotec supercharger to our car, a car guru named witt on cobaltss.net cracked the tunning problem with hp tuners and i want to some how hope we can use the those superchargers sitting in surplus to our advantage

TomsHHR 07-23-2007 05:45 PM

What about the Drive train, will it handle the extra HP, also how about brakes?

Sorry with everybody talking about the turbo, we forget about the other important items.

hhrcrafty 07-23-2007 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR (Post 174714)
Who needs a real turbo, when the HP trick here is just the CGS hot air intake and the IMCO T-924 "turbo" muffler???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Black Beauty 07-23-2007 07:39 PM

I see where the most problems supposedly is the "Intercooling Piping".
You don`t have to have an intercooler, it just helps cool the air flow.
My Caravan didn`t have one and ran just fine, I wanted one, fabbed up my own plumbing. Found a unit in the boneyard, off a Probe, it fit in the space where the a/c condensor/fan unit used to be.

upOnGamE 07-24-2007 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR (Post 174731)
What about the Drive train, will it handle the extra HP, also how about brakes?

Sorry with everybody talking about the turbo, we forget about the other important items.

Well the Cobalt ss/sc are having their front ?axels? brake with stage 3 set ups so there pushing like 300hp+ easliy but there also drving it hard at the track it doesn't seem to be happening on everday drivers but on the dragsters. As far as the clucth it should hold with the kit stock but past that i would upgrade but you shouldn't have n e problems. The brakes well no one should be drving 90+ then slamming on the brakes n e ways.....

shaginwgn 09-27-2007 09:04 PM

Ya I brought it back from from the dead, but was on Hahn's website says HHR turbo system is in development. I don't if it has been that way or when it changed but hopefully it will be released soon. Xmas is around the corner:nuts: :thumb: :lol:

crowbar 09-28-2007 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn (Post 200107)
Xmas is around the corner:nuts: :thumb: :lol:

so is tax money season:thumb:

monza 09-28-2007 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty (Post 174820)
I see where the most problems supposedly is the "Intercooling Piping".
You don`t have to have an intercooler, it just helps cool the air flow.
My Caravan didn`t have one and ran just fine, I wanted one, fabbed up my own plumbing. Found a unit in the boneyard, off a Probe, it fit in the space where the a/c condensor/fan unit used to be.

sure, you don't have to have an intercooler up until about 6/7 psi when your engine starts knocking...

getting an intercooler will help keep everything safe - even if you're not looking to build a huge monster.

hahn has been in this game a long time. they make some big turbo kits for the srt4s, subbies, etc... and they did the first add on turbo kit for a ptcruiser and they are still running fine 5 years later. you do need to have at least a working knowledge of fuel systems and basic tuning to keep things safe but it's nothing you can't handle with asking a few questions and not being stupid...

go for it when it's out.

Premiere07 09-28-2007 08:37 PM

Still doubtful about this, with such high compression in the 2.4L I would be worried about blown gaskets. Hahn would probably address this but, I wouldnt add boost to such a high compression motor, just not a good idea.

GDZHHR 09-28-2007 08:42 PM

Seems to me that if this was so easy to do, it would be done by now. It's not like they just started working on this; it's been in developement for at least a year.

monza 09-30-2007 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR (Post 200338)
Seems to me that if this was so easy to do, it would be done by now. It's not like they just started working on this; it's been in developement for at least a year.

id rather a company take their time choosing the right turbo, plumbing, and tuning components instead of just throwing something together...

throwing a turbo kit together is what blows gaskets and heads... not r&d.

GDZHHR 09-30-2007 11:00 AM

I'd say after two years of R&D we don't have to worry about them "throwing it together".

shaginwgn 10-01-2007 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR (Post 200654)
I'd say after two years of R&D we don't have to worry about them "throwing it together".

Nope quote from the cobalt turbo kit:
After 2 years of extensive engineering and testing, Hahn RaceCraft has achieved a turbo system with a fuel management system that works exceptionally well. Coupled with an ECM re-flash (included) and a TCM re-flash (for A/T vehicle) is Hahn RaceCraft's exclusive field-adjustable, boost-proportional fueling system. Hahn has conquered the difficult 2.4L ECOTEC tuning with the development of Hahn RaceCraft's BoostFueler. Conventional tuning procedures do not work well on the 2.4L ECOTEC motor. The Hahn RaceCraft BoostFueler makes performance tuning an easy reality. Your vehicle will maintain excellent drivability and civility. The beauty of
this system is that it works for both manual and automatic transmission vehicles and creates more horsepower per pound of boost compared to the 2.0L supercharged Cobalt SS. The horsepower gain is impressive! Create a
vehicle with super consistent bracket racing potential ..today!

So that means any day now it will come out :nuts:

GDZHHR 10-01-2007 08:17 PM

So why is everyone jumping on me for merely pointing out that this has been R&D'ed for sometime and there is still nothing on the market, Neither of you really stated anything that changes what I said.

I said it wasn't easy and that no one could accused them of throwing it together. What's was wrong with saying that. If it's not in production, it's not in production. Pretty simple. Just becuase it's in development and they SAY it coming soon, does NOT mean that it is.

I hope it is. Since I won't be getting an SS, this will be my best chance at anything close to a high performance HHR.