2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

HP Upgrade options. A little, not a lot.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM

HP Upgrade options. A little, not a lot.

I'm not seeing any threads on basic horsepower upgrades for the 2.4.

Not interested in racing so turbos and superchargers are out of the question. Just looking to get around 10-25 more HP, or any amount, for a price tag that will not make me look like an idiot.

Engine mods.
Exhaust mods.
Ect?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

I added a K&N intake and a trifecta tune. Very happy with the gains, nice to drive now.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

10-25 hp? Like SS fan says, get a tune.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Rest In Peace

Air intakes are one of the first things most do, easy to swap and not too expensive. Plus you get to SEE your motor.

But, Performance wise, not much bang for your buck really. You can hear your motor at WOT, some mistake that as performance gains.

I have several the K&N, CGS and the GMPP. Currently running the GMPP for Looks.

Header and Downpipe, then you have cat back exhaust options to think about. Go all out, or replace just the restrictive areas in the stock system. Up to you, do some research.

Header and Downpipe, the downpipe on the 2.4 is restrictive (depending on your year) and the pipe going over the rear axle, then swap out muffler, if your not going with a full catback system.

LE5 Performamce Camshafts, sold by ZZPerformance.
You don't even need a tune to install them. (as mods are added you will Want a good Tune) But they are basically "plug n play" type install on the 2.4.
~You will NEED to replace your valve springs and retainers. So add them to your cart when buying the Cams.

Note- It is recommended to remove or replace your balance shafts if you plan on spinning above 7k rpm.
Unless your planning a turbo or Supercharger install later on you won't need to worry about spinning at 7k or higher, even then you can do a mild install on either and still keep it below the 7k.

So pick a air intake, get a header and downpipe, swap out your muffler for a better sound if you want, get the ZZP Cams and get a Tune, HPTuners or trifecta.

You Will be pleased with your 2.4's gains, plus your then ready to do other performance mods having the basic building blocks already in place.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
10-25 hp? Like SS fan says, get a tune.
X 3, best bang for the buck..
Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Air intakes are one of the first things most do, easy to swap and not too expensive. Plus you get to SEE your motor.

But, Performance wise, not much bang for your buck really. You can hear your motor at WOT, some mistake that as performance gains.

Header and Downpipe, then you have cat back exhaust options to think about. Go all out, or replace just the restrictive areas in the stock system. Up to you, do some research.

Header and Downpipe, the downpipe on the 2.4 is restrictive (depending on your year) and the pipe going over the rear axle, then swap out muffler, if your not going with a full catback system.

You don't even need a tune to install them. (as mods are added you will Want a good Tune) But they are basically "plug n play" type install on the 2.4.
~You will NEED to replace your valve springs and retainers. So add them to your cart when buying the Cams.

Note- It is recommended to remove or replace your balance shafts if you plan on spinning above 7k rpm.
Unless your planning a turbo or Supercharger install later on you won't need to worry about spinning at 7k or higher, even then you can do a mild install on either and still keep it below the 7k.

So pick a air intake, get a header and downpipe, swap out your muffler for a better sound if you want, get the ZZP Cams and get a Tune, HPTuners or trifecta.

You Will be pleased with your 2.4's gains, plus your then ready to do other performance mods having the basic building blocks already in place.

Originally Posted by American & Proud

Thanks to the two others for their advice, but a special thanks to American & Proud for this detailed reply.

I'm knowledgeable in body work but clueless on everything else. Bear with me please.

I'm seeing this for a air intake, ugly and somewhat expensive for what it is.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-3056

Any other suggestions?

I honestly don't plan to go turbo or supercharger in the future but one never knows, are there specific air intake systems that will work with and without a turbo or SC so if I do a turbo or SC in the future I have no need to upgrade my air intake again?

I'm looking at the ZZ site now. I'm lost on what I need.
I'm assuming from engine back it's headers, downpipe, then catback? Where can a guy find all this at a decent price? From what I'm seeing on the zz site it's adding up past 1,000 just for exhaust. Or are these prices unavoidable?
I want as less restriction as possible without getting too loud.
OR. Like you said, headers, downpipe and new sport muffler. Would the labor of the cheaper option end up adding up near the price of a complete exhaust?
I will definitely do some research as I'm not sure what to do yet.

I'm interested in the cams as well. Does this upgrade help performance even without a turbo or supercharger upgrade? What is average labor hours for installing cams, valve springs and retainers?
If I wanted to stay on the safe side and replace balance shafts how much extra labor hours and part cost is that?

loi I have no idea what a tune is? Dyno tune? Can this be done at my local mechanic's shop or will I need to get some advanced shop to do the work?

Thanks for all the help. I have a lot of reading to do I guess.

From what I'm reading this tuning is just a pc or laptop hooking up to the hhr and adjust settings, or does the hhr also need to be on a dynometer and if so is this a long labor process?

Looking to do about 2,500 in parts and labor currently. I get labor at 50 an hour, but for advanced stuff like dynotunes I have no clue where to go or what they charge.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
X 3, best bang for the buck..
Could you please explain what a tune is? Is it available and safe for a non-SS HHR model?
Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

They work pretty good on a SS also. It is a new program for the computers, ecm and tcm, just tells your car to run better.
I got mine from a non supporting vender, actually got three of them from Him.

Thats the intake I have.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by silverstreet
Thanks to the two others for their advice, but a special thanks to American & Proud for this detailed reply.

I'm knowledgeable in body work but clueless on everything else. Bear with me please.

I'm seeing this for a air intake, ugly and somewhat expensive for what it is.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-3056

Any other suggestions?

I honestly don't plan to go turbo or supercharger in the future but one never knows, are there specific air intake systems that will work with and without a turbo or SC so if I do a turbo or SC in the future I have no need to upgrade my air intake again?

I'm looking at the ZZ site now. I'm lost on what I need.
I'm assuming from engine back it's headers, downpipe, then catback? Where can a guy find all this at a decent price? From what I'm seeing on the zz site it's adding up past 1,000 just for exhaust. Or are these prices unavoidable?
I want as less restriction as possible without getting too loud.
OR. Like you said, headers, downpipe and new sport muffler. Would the labor of the cheaper option end up adding up near the price of a complete exhaust?
I will definitely do some research as I'm not sure what to do yet.

I'm interested in the cams as well. Does this upgrade help performance even without a turbo or supercharger upgrade? What is average labor hours for installing cams, valve springs and retainers?
If I wanted to stay on the safe side and replace balance shafts how much extra labor hours and part cost is that?

loi I have no idea what a tune is? Dyno tune? Can this be done at my local mechanic's shop or will I need to get some advanced shop to do the work?

Thanks for all the help. I have a lot of reading to do I guess.

From what I'm reading this tuning is just a pc or laptop hooking up to the hhr and adjust settings, or does the hhr also need to be on a dynometer and if so is this a long labor process?

Looking to do about 2,500 in parts and labor currently. I get labor at 50 an hour, but for advanced stuff like dynotunes I have no clue where to go or what they charge.
If you are willing to spend that amount then you might as well just supercharge that thing and be done with it.

You mentioned gains of 10-15 hp without looking like an IDIOT. You can get those gains with just $300 or so via the tune. $2500 is almost a brand new supercharger kit.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
If you are willing to spend that amount then you might as well just supercharge that thing and be done with it.

You mentioned gains of 10-15 hp without looking like an IDIOT. You can get those gains with just $300 or so via the tune. $2500 is almost a brand new supercharger kit.
Originally Posted by 07azhhr

Well, upon second thought I am not willing to spend this much.

I need new tires and I'm having a new flex pipe welded on this week because the stock one is cracked and I just can't stand the noise it produces when accelerating. So that's 700+ right there. I thought about it before I came back to this thread again and being I have so many hobbies like sport shooting, sport biking and others that take up much of my play money I'm just not going to go nuts with my daily driver. Even though I had already decided I wasn't going to spend 2500 on my hhr before I came back here this time I appreciate you bringing me back to my original want which was just a little more horsepower.

How does one go about "tuning"? Do I buy the software needed then take it to a specialty auto shop or will some places have the software? Or is it much more then this?
I assumed one needed to mod their hhr first in order for a tune to do anything?
If I can do a "tune" for around 300 and it actually can give me 10 or so more horses, I will do it. I'll look into the tune on google but if you could give me some info on specifics please do.
I may also throw on a air intake as well, but I doubt I'll do much more. Being my exhaust is in great shape minus the flex pipe which is being replaced in a few days I just can't see spending 500+ labor on an entire new exhaust system. Maybe if I ever need a new exhaust.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HP Upgrade options. A little, not a lot.