2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

HPTuners Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:02 AM

HPTuners Tune?

Wondering if anybody has done a good HPTuners tune on their LE5? I bought their VCM tofix the intake air flow problem that surfaces with an Airaid intake, and also tweaked in the enrichment RPM and life the speed limiter ( ), but I am particularly interested in spark timing tuning and VE, but I'm scared of really screwing something up.

Has anybody with any experience (i.e. smarter than me) tried tweaking the spark timing and VE for our motors?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 AM

First HHR tuned with HPT over 3 years ago here.

Before you do anything, you need to do some learning, and a lot of it. Tuning isn't something a caveman can do, unless you want to blow your engine.

A good book that I recommend is "Engine Management Advanced Tuning" by Greg Banish. Good buy on Amazon.

Next, a guy on CobaltSS.net that I tutored did an excellent write up on tuning the LE5 E67 ECM. Here's the link:

http://cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82211

Then you want to have a good config file for scanning. Here's a link on the HPT forum to the file that I wrote for them. Read down on Bill's fist post and get the file "EcoTec 2.4 LE5.cfg". That is a good basic starting point.

A good wideband O2 sensor is a big help on accurately dealing with AFR errors, too.

Spark tuning will vary with your gas quality, season, altitude and the engine itself. Just make sure there is no knock. I've found that good response and gas mileage can be had bumping timing up in the low load areas. There's headroom under high load, too for more power, but be careful there.

As for VE.... well the E67 has no traditional VE tables and computes VE "on the fly", actually a 5 dimensional polynomial equation. Basically, forget about VE, as you minor mods won't really effect that anyway.

With just an intake change, concentrate on the MAF transfer function tables. That's what is affected and getting it right is a big help.

Go carefully and read a lot and log a lot. It will start to sink in after a while.

And, no, I won't send you a tune, so don't ask.

Have fun!!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
First HHR tuned with HPT over 3 years ago here.

Before you do anything, you need to do some learning, and a lot of it. Tuning isn't something a caveman can do, unless you want to blow your engine.

A good book that I recommend is "Engine Management Advanced Tuning" by Greg Banish. Good buy on Amazon.
(snip)
"JoeR" gets the weekend "Beacon of Reality" Award.

Banish's two calibration books are absolutely the best books on the subject available to enthusiasts.

Also, if you're interested in actual classes on tuning, Google "the tuning school".
Old 05-13-2010, 02:44 PM

Yes you were Joe. Mine was done not long after his and is the best mod I had done.
Thanks Joe.............