2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

IMCO noise level and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:44 PM

Thumbs up IMCO noise level and other mods

1. I had the IMCO muffler installed by a local shop and also installed a new 3 1/2" tip from Hooker Headers that has a resonator made into it. Sound level is just above the stock muffler with a good deep tone. The mod shows a definite felt increase in horsepower in the low and mid range. Maybe the tip I installed made the difference in the noise that some were talking about.
2. CGS Intake: Loud, Real Loud. Will have to work on the noise level. Gave the car a very definite felt horsepower increase.
3. Rear sway bar: If you don’t do anything else to your HHR install the 22mm sway bar. Drives like a different car. Hugs the road, the wind doesn’t knock the car around. Should have come that way from the factory.
4. Autolites going in next. Going with one step colder that stock.
Anyone making a chip for the HHR 2.4? From what I can tell the fly by wire does not let the throttle open all the way. It runs a little lean to.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 AM

No chip for an OBDII vehicle.

Why a colder plug?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
No chip for an OBDII vehicle.

Why a colder plug?
Most cars have a hot plug to help with EPA standards. I pulled one of the plugs and it has a bright white insulator and Heat markings on the base of the plug. From my expereance with race cars, held a world record for over 7 1/2 years, that means the plug is to hot. A colder plug with help with hp.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by krkellogg
Most cars have a hot plug to help with EPA standards. I pulled one of the plugs and it has a bright white insulator and Heat markings on the base of the plug. From my expereance with race cars, held a world record for over 7 1/2 years, that means the plug is to hot. A colder plug with help with hp.
I know what a colder plug does. Just with a computer controlled vehicle, unless you get a custom PCM tune, won't the computer just retune to get the spark it wants? Kinda like the fuel tables. You can change and update, but the computer will still adjust as it sees necessary.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I know what a colder plug does. Just with a computer controlled vehicle, unless you get a custom PCM tune, won't the computer just retune to get the spark it wants? Kinda like the fuel tables. You can change and update, but the computer will still adjust as it sees necessary.
No it will not be able to change how the colder plug affects the engine.

EDIT:
It may extend the firing time of each plug, but that will only let the engine burn the fuel more completely which will build more HP.

Last edited by krkellogg; 12-07-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 AM

krkellogg, I'm looking for a new tip for my IMCO. What is the part number for the tip you bought from Hooker? I have had my IMCO for a couple of months and haven't found a reasonably priced shop to install it yet.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:14 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by coolzee
krkellogg, I'm looking for a new tip for my IMCO. What is the part number for the tip you bought from Hooker? I have had my IMCO for a couple of months and haven't found a reasonably priced shop to install it yet.

I got it from JEG's High Performance part number:520-22005

Last edited by krkellogg; 12-15-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the post. Just adds more information out there for reference. I'm definately close to doing a few of these mods.

Out of curiousity what octane are you running with your setup at the moment. That could make a slight difference in your overall setup.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CHV_FRK
Thanks for the post. Just adds more information out there for reference. I'm definately close to doing a few of these mods.

Out of curiousity what octane are you running with your setup at the moment. That could make a slight difference in your overall setup.

Most of the time 87 octane, but have tried 91 octane and 104 octane . Best results just using 87 octane.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:27 PM

Thanks krkellogg, the pics look gr8. Now I can finish the IMCO install.

Quick Reply: IMCO noise level and other mods