Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.4L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/)
-   -   Injection is Nice, But..... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/injection-nice-but-35607/)

American & Proud 05-09-2011 10:23 PM

Injection is Nice, But.....

6 Attachment(s)
I'd Rather Be BLOWN. ;) :lol:

I bought a couple parts today. The guy selling the parts Cancelled out our meeting up a couple times but Finally tonight we met up at his Sisters house and tore some parts off the motor from a '07 Cobalt SS Ion Redline Eaton M62 Supercharger.(BLOWER) :cool:

OK just wtf IS a "Ion Redline" anyways? Thats the way he had it Advertised on Craigslist.

I will start collecting all the other Parts needed for the install over time, I am really in No hurry to complete this Mod, Yet anyways.

I still have alot of my drivetrain warranty left, we shall see, I may get to the Install over the Winter.
For now I will gather up more parts and start the Clean up, Polishing, and do some Paint work on these to get it all ready for the install.

Attachment 29106

Attachment 29107

Attachment 29108

Attachment 29109

We have to meet at a rental garage to pick up the supercharger tomorrow afternoon.
(No I did NOT pay the guy for it yet, I know what your thinking. LOL)

He had the Supercharger for sale Alone in his AD.

I asked about the intake and other parts and he said he had the complete
motor and trans at his sisters garage but removed the supercharger to sell it. We talked several times and I told him I wanted the supercharger but also wanted the Intake and some other parts to go along with it.
So we met at his sisters tonight and tore off the parts but the storage place he rents was closed so we could not get in to get the supercharger tonight.

I'll pay him when we pick that up, but I took everything else home with me tonight. ;)

Attachment 29110

Attachment 29111

Should be a Fun little Project. :D

843de 05-09-2011 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Saturn Ion Redline was the Saturn equivalent to the Cobalt SS. 205 HP supercharged 2.0 with the Eaton blower from the 3.8 V6 used in the Buick LeSabre. They were good for 6 second 0-60 times and a 144mph top end, not many produced and the automatics had some serious trans issues. Here's a pic for you.

American & Proud 05-09-2011 10:42 PM

So from his AD title> "COBALT SS ION REDLINE EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER"
And Only selling the supercharger in the ad, he was basically calling attention would fit Either aplication?

The motor was a 2.0, 4 banger.

843de 05-09-2011 10:52 PM

Probably, but a supercharger expert could say for sure, there were some differences in the Redline vs. the Cobalt SS. I think the supercharger assembly is common to both, but the assorted brackets and hardware may be different between the two cars.

nacademus 05-09-2011 10:58 PM

You need the IC and pump, otherwise those fancy laminovas in the intake will be useless...

Get all the tubing too.

nacademus 05-09-2011 11:00 PM

I also don't see the bypass valve and ducting (nvm, i see it on the SC still). All of these components you will NEED you get that Eaton whining again.

nacademus 05-09-2011 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 563581)
Probably, but a supercharger expert could say for sure, there were some differences in the Redline vs. the Cobalt SS. I think the supercharger assembly is common to both, but the assorted brackets and hardware may be different between the two cars.

You would be astounded at how exactly similar they are.

843de 05-09-2011 11:03 PM

Yeah there look to be missing parts, thanks for identifying them nacademus. I wonder if there are any differences due to the change in transmissions on the Ion's from Aisin units to the GM sourced units.

nacademus 05-09-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 563589)
Yeah there look to be missing parts, thanks for identifying them nacademus. I wonder if there are any differences due to the change in transmissions on the Ion's from Aisin units to the GM sourced units.

The 2.0L LSJ in the IRL is a Saab engine through and through. It is mated to an F35 MU3 transmission which is also a Saab designed trans. Its a great trans. The only REAL problem they have is broken cases, this is due to wheel hop jarring them. This can be remedied with poly or solid mounts or STOP mounts. They also supposedly have a weak 3rd gear which becomes apparent at about 350 hp.

Many of these were equipped with mechanical LSD. If you can get this cheaply PUT IT IN YOUR FREAKING HHR! YOU WON'T BE SORRY!

Either that, or sell it on a Cobalt SS forum for a good profit.

Also. If you can get the FE5 suspension off of that car cheaply, you could bolt it to your HHR without much issue. It is a great GREAT upgrade. Or, sell it to supplement the cost.

sleeper 05-09-2011 11:09 PM

A&P- How many miles on that 'huffer' ??

Might need freshening up ..

nacademus 05-09-2011 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 563592)

Check the teflon on the rotors. This coating is known to wear away if a water meth kit is used. There is a NORMAL amount of wear on the apex of the rotors, don't be alarmed by this. If it looks like a dalmation, you won't get the full efficiency of the SC. The teflon is coated on these rotors to create a tighter seal between them.

You may want to do a coupler refresh and change the SC oil. Make sure you are outside, it smells like poop.

American & Proud 05-09-2011 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 563581)

Thanks, I showed the supercharger pics to hhrfreek and he said it looked just like his.

I never paid much attention to the Saturns, so that never ran a bell.
His AD did go on to say-
"Up for purchase is a eaton M62 supercharger that came off a 2007 2.0 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, when it had 40,000 miles on it. It will fit all 2005-2007 2.0 Cobalt SS's and 2004-07 Saturn ion redlines. Rotors are in nice condition." He then goes on to say others it also fits and other ecotec applications.

nacademus 05-09-2011 11:19 PM

I understand. You need the intercooler and intercooler pump. Otherwise you with have intense heat soak. The intake has an endplate with ports or the IC coolant circuit. You need these or you're wasting your time.

American & Proud 05-09-2011 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 563592)

Supposedly 40,000.

American & Proud 05-09-2011 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nacademus (Post 563596)
I understand. You need the intercooler and intercooler pump. Otherwise you with have intense heat soak. The intake has an endplate with ports or the IC coolant circuit. You need these or you're wasting your time.

I know I NEED other parts, I mentioned that in my first post.

He had sold the radiator and the intercooler a year ago. The car is long gone, he has the Motor and the Trans left.

I printed this pic from the Kit thats available and grabbed what I could. I did not see the Pump, is it located on the Engine or mounted on the car?

Got pics of any other parts you are mentioning?, tomorrow would be the time for me and him to go back to his sisters garage and look, as he took pics of the motor and was gonna post it for sale.

Attachment 29105

So basically without the whole car there, I got what I could get, and will get the other parts as I find them. Like I originally said, I am really Not in a hurry to install, Most likely after I get everything together and found it will be late Winter or next year.

I grabbed the alternator and it's brackets for 20 bucks because I thought I had read that the supercharger alternator brackets were offset for the supercharger?

American & Proud 05-09-2011 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by nacademus (Post 563593)
Check the teflon on the rotors. This coating is known to wear away if a water meth kit is used. There is a NORMAL amount of wear on the apex of the rotors, don't be alarmed by this. If it looks like a dalmation, you won't get the full efficiency of the SC. The teflon is coated on these rotors to create a tighter seal between them.

You may want to do a coupler refresh and change the SC oil. Make sure you are outside, it smells like poop.

Thanks, I was advised of this earlier, I have been talking with hhrfreek who just Completed this install using the ZZP Kit.

As he mentioned in his post, if he had to do it over, he would piece it out instead of buying the full Kit. Since I am Not in any hurry, I decided to buy the parts as I come across them.

Just so happened this supercharger was available locally right as hhrfreek posted his install. I contacted him and I took a bunch on Notes before going to look at this.

He also thought the next sized smaller intercooler would Fit the LT HHR easier as he had to do a bunch of work getting the Kit supplied one to fit.

prod 05-10-2011 01:37 AM

And dont forget higher output fuel injectors.

American & Proud 05-10-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 563621)
And dont forget higher output fuel injectors.

:twothumbs:

lunchbox 05-10-2011 06:04 PM

Congrats on going for it man :twothumbs: i just installed my ZZP kit, and it's so much fun to drive now, you're gonna love it :D

American & Proud 05-10-2011 06:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I picked up the Eaton M62 Supercharger this afternoon. :cool: :D

Attachment 29099

Attachment 29100

No play in it and the Teflon coating is in Fine shape.

I twisted the pully back and forth and could not feel any play in it at all. I know there are 3 studs that fit inside the gear and they can wear causing some slop, but none that I could detect.

I spun it around and spins freely without any type of grittiness feel to it, just Smooth as silk.

I used my Ridgid SeeSnake inspection camera to look inside and all looked fine on camera inside.

Attachment 29101

In No hurry here on this Mod, i'll collect all the parts needed over time and get everything all cleaned up and ready for when I get the Urge to install.

Attachment 29102

Had my oil changed this morning and my mechanic said we could have it installed in a weekend. He said I could bring it into his shop on a Friday after he closes and tear it all down and have it back together up and running by Sunday.

Once I have everything in hand and all Polished and Painted, then I will decide if I want to give up my warranty early or not. :skull:

We shall see.:lol:

Attachment 29103

American & Proud 05-10-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by lunchbox (Post 563774)
Congrats on going for it man :twothumbs: i just installed my ZZP kit, and it's so much fun to drive now, you're gonna love it :D

Thanks lunchbox, I have been following along on your posts and yours also got me DROOLING so dang bad, I just had to start getting the parts together for this Mod.:twothumbs:

sleeper 05-10-2011 11:42 PM

A&P-

Looks Good. Maybe you better take a break & eat something, you're looking a little boney.. :roflol:

American & Proud 05-11-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 563862)
A&P-

Looks Good. Maybe you better take a break & eat something, you're looking a little boney.. :roflol:

:lol: I have 3 of those Skelletons and 2 others that I use in my Halloween display and will use at least 1 at car shows. That one rides in the back all the time. :thumb:

:skull:

nacademus 05-11-2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by American & Proud (Post 563920)
:lol: I have 3 of those Skelletons and 2 others that I use in my Halloween display and will use at least 1 at car shows. That one rides in the back all the time. :thumb:

I'm just gonna throw it out there, you're pretty freaking awesome lol. No bones about it lol

I always laugh when I see those people with legs hanging out of their hoods and trunks lol

Imagine someone walking by your car and seeing that in the back window just laying there haha!

American & Proud 05-15-2011 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by nacademus (Post 563921)
I'm just gonna throw it out there, you're pretty freaking awesome lol. No bones about it lol

I always laugh when I see those people with legs hanging out of their hoods and trunks lol

Imagine someone walking by your car and seeing that in the back window just laying there haha!

You should SEE the Looks I see when I have a Movie playing on the headrest monitors, and I can turn the rear view camera ON up front on the Pioneer 4200 head unit and just Watch peoples faces as they pull up behind me. The monitors give the interior a nice glow at night. :lol:

You can drive around with the rear camera on while driving, so sitting stopped at a Red light while they are pulling up to stop some get some funny looks on their faces as they realize a Skeleton is in back Looking back at Them. Kids start pointing and you can tell their yelling "LOOK LOOK at THAT " Some people just do a double take like HUH, Did I just See a Skeleton?

So far no one has called the Police for a Black car driving around with a dead body in the back. :skull:

American & Proud 05-16-2011 12:04 AM

I have a couple more Parts lined up. Gotta set up the actual Buy, but they are being held for me currently. Just gotta contact them again and find out how they each want to get paid for them. :wink:

The I C Pump- (Notice in my pics, I did get the Pumps Bracket that attaches under the Intake)

And a set of #39 Injectors- these are Plug N Play on the 2.4

I'll be running the stock pully, and the # 39 injectors are good for up to a 10 psi Boost. :thumb:

Like Jonny Cash once said. One Piece At A Time. :cool:

843de 05-16-2011 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Could you be talking about Johnny Cash's "Psycho-Billy Cadillac", they did build one based on the song, it was in the Cash museum but I'm not sure who has it now.

American & Proud 05-16-2011 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 564847)
Could you be talking about Johnny Cash's "Psycho-Billy Cadillac", they did build one based on the song, it was in the Cash museum but I'm not sure who has it now.

:twothumbs:You got it. I think they made it for the Video to the song?

But there is also this Vid with a Black HHR Panel being Custom Painted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEmeXIkT2Dc

American & Proud 05-16-2011 09:59 AM

Also this morning I have a Heat Exchanger in the works here now. :D

I have got to say-

Thank you Very much, hhrfreek, JoeR, and lunchbox for the Help with these parts, you guys are Awsome! :twothumbs:

And also, Thank you for all the Informational help so far as well. :thumb:

nacademus 05-16-2011 12:56 PM

A Mustang Cobra HE is a slight upgrade... should you choose to strap a pulley on it and change the endplate to a dual pass.

American & Proud 05-19-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by nacademus (Post 564933)
A Mustang Cobra HE is a slight upgrade... should you choose to strap a pulley on it and change the endplate to a dual pass.

Thanks for the Info.:thumb:

For now gonna get it all installed and dialed in with the stock pully, get used to that for awhile and them Maybe start playing around with getting more out of the engine, time will tell on that. :cool:

I did buy a Heat Exchanger or Intercooler Pump (Which is the Proper term to use anyways?)

Working on getting a Set of the #39 Injectors that are plug n play for the 2.4.

And I will soon have a Heat Exchanger on the way, once the current owner swaps it out for a Larger unit he bought. :cool:

Steadily getting that needed list of parts whittled down here. :lol::cool:

American & Proud 05-19-2011 08:28 AM

OK, Just Secured the #39 Injectors this morning. Now just waiting on a reply on were to send the Money for them.:thumb:

These are the all Blue ones that are Plug N Play with the 2.4.:D:cool:

lunchbox 05-19-2011 09:06 AM

And I will soon have a Heat Exchanger on the way, once the current owner swaps it out for a Larger unit he bought.
My ZZP exchanger is gettin delivered today, i should have it installed and yours shipped out this weekend :twothumbs:

American & Proud 05-19-2011 09:09 AM

Cool, thanks again , just let me know when you want the money sent and where.
:twothumbs:

I just paid for the Injectors a few seconds ago.:D

American & Proud 06-04-2011 10:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Parts and more parts. Getting closer to a Complete "Kit"

Attachment 28979

Attachment 28980

Attachment 28981

The Surprize neatest thing about this little project of mine here, is that my Son has shown Huge Interest in this Blower project. :D

He never really showed interest in cars before, once he found out I bought the Blower (Supercharger) he was all excited and even Asked to be in on the Install when I do it.:yikes: I was kinda shocked, and lovin the fact he is showin such interest. He wants a Supercharged Cobalt SS. He has been on the Cobalt SS forums reading up on them.

:D:twothumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEmeXIkT2Dc

lunchbox 06-04-2011 11:10 AM

lookin good :twothumbs: shouldn't need too many more parts to complete the kit. congrats on making this a family build too, i wish my dad woulda been into cars :thumb:

also, your inbox is full

American & Proud 06-04-2011 11:52 AM

Thanks, my Son is 20 now, wish he had shown interest in cars at 12! lol But I'll take what I can get and we will do it Together. :D:thumb:

Yeah, getting pretty close parts wise, I think just the hoses, clamps, elbo's, the electrical connector for the pump, JoeR gave me a link for that, A Belt, the alternator spacers(i'll make them), and a couple other odds and ends, like the rubber elbo for the air filter and the filter.

The HP Tuner is gonna be the Costliest part of this whole deal. :lol:

Getting real Close, I think we will actually do it in Early Spring. (Although I am getting that Itchy feeling as I get more parts, we shall see.):lol:

Maybe I could set something up with hhrfreek to come down and do the Tune and teach us a few things. :cool:

Sorry, I saw it was Full when you tried to reply to my PM, I emptied some out again, try resending.:thumb:

hhrfreek 06-04-2011 08:58 PM

Ha! Sweet! My dad has been on my case telling me to quit upgrading the HHR. After I told him I cammed it his first response was (sarcastically) "Why don't you just wrap your motor in a kevlar jacket so you don't hurt anybody when you blow a rod through the block?!" :lol: He is an old school V8 guy and hasn't been into cars since he was younger so he is pretty impressed at the power the 4s make with mild boost. LOL just wait till he feels the cammed, E85 version of the SC HHR.:thumb:

hhrfreek 06-04-2011 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud (Post 569047)

Maybe I could set something up with hhrfreek to come down and do the Tune and teach us a few things. :cool:

Might be possible. I could handle the engine tuning portion for sure. The auto would be new to me, but I have looked at many stock/modded tunes w/auto trans and I'm sure I could get it to use the power better. Unless anybody has a solid trans tune they'd be willing to donate for the project. I'm not too far away so we could make a day of it. Though look for a tuner in the immediate area that may have experience with similar eng/trans platforms(hhr, cobalt, g5, ion, sky, solstice, etc) might simplify it for future tunes/issues.

American & Proud 06-13-2011 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek (Post 569165)
Might be possible. I could handle the engine tuning portion for sure. The auto would be new to me, but I have looked at many stock/modded tunes w/auto trans and I'm sure I could get it to use the power better. Unless anybody has a solid trans tune they'd be willing to donate for the project. I'm not too far away so we could make a day of it. Though look for a tuner in the immediate area that may have experience with similar eng/trans platforms(hhr, cobalt, g5, ion, sky, solstice, etc) might simplify it for future tunes/issues.

Awsome. :twothumbs: