2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

N.o.s.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 AM

N.o.s.

Any one run nos on a 2.4 hhr was wondering what shot and how well it performed
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM

Me thinks you read too much "ricer" stuff.

Unless you have knowledge of nitrous and the details, you are looking for an engine "time bomb" if not done right.

Forget any system without fuel compensation and competent tuning is a MUST!!

Shoot, be safe and go for boost. Again, a competent tuning source should be nailed down first. They are few and far between!

I've been running serious boosted about 2 years now w/o issue. The local Cobalt modified crowd and moded HHR SS's are still is trying to figure out how to keep us with da wagon, while I still tune most of them.

Make intelligent decisions and get proper tuning and have fun!!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Agree! You need to learn all angles before taking the leap. I deal in the performance aftermarket for a living and see many people spend a lot of money with poor or damaging results.

When you go for power it takes more than just a bolt on part to do it right in most cases.

NOS will give some results but you much keep in mind adding the power like this can damage other related parts. Most engines and drivetrains can take a 100 shot with not much issue. But like stated if it goes lean for any reason be prepared to buy a piston as the NOS can burn it very fast.

Also axle and tranny damage can happen with increases in power. Often the computer is limited on power at the shift points to keep it alive. THe SS used this and if you mess with the wrong thing the tranny can be short lived too.

I would recomend magazine stories and the Eco tech build book from GM to you to read up and learn the engine inside and out. Then decide what you want to do and if you can afford to do it properly.

Most of the builds will be with the Cobalt so watch for stories on them.

By seeing what the pro builders do you can learn from them and not waste money or have a lot of issues. THink of it as a recipie for engine building. Proven set ups are always the best way to go unless you really know your stuff on a prarticular engine.

Search around and the info is out there. THe GM perfromance web site has the Eco Build book on line. They have info on engines from 230 HP and up. It is the older book but you can get the new book from GM or Summit Racing.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 PM

thanks

Well I wasn't planning on putting n.o.s. on the car I was more getting at if any one not running a turbo has maid a high horse power 2.4 as of now I'm on the wating list for an after market turbo but fact of the matter is I'm not a turbo fan sorry guys no offence just was wanting to no what had Ben built out there
Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM

I ran a ZEX set up for over a year and it was GREAT!!

Started with a 50 shot which got me an extra 35hp. Yes, this was verified on a dyno, the thread is buried here somewhere. I bumped it up to a 75 shot, which was more fun and got me 50hp.

I had a lot of fun with this set up and never had an issue other than the bottle running out! I was strongly advised not to do more than a 75 shot without redoing the motor internals. This was also NOT a race car, still isn't. My system was to have fun with once in a while.

While I agree with most of what the others said, I actually did this AND have a 2.4 that is now turbo. The turbo is like having the 75 shot on all the time, and more! The main problem is that there is no turbo kit, to my knowledge, for the 2.4 HHR and likely won't be anytime soon.

The 2.4, and the HHR, has many limitations. The biggest weakness for BIG power is the tranny and brakes. Both of which will take some big cash to fix. Brakes less than tranny. My next step is a little motor work so I can increase my boost (12lbs now) and get over 350hp. Right now I'm about 290-300hp. (dynoed).

It really depends and how much cash you want and what you are going to do with it.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Forgot to say, like both of the others posters said, tuning is the main thing which will make whatever you do work best. That is also my biggest issue now.