2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

P0121 code

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:35 PM

P0121 code

I have a 06 LT and I keep getting the 121 code. I have replaced throttle body and pigtail. Any other ideas?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Technical Moderator

This link: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0121 is very different from what the HHR Service Manual says.

Mitchell OnDemand says that you should be looking for air getting into the manifold between the MAF and the MAP. Perhaps a malfunction of either the MAP or MAF.

Most likely the MAP is malfunctioning or a vacuum leak on the manifold
What they are saying is : it's not a problem with the throttle position sensor, it's a problem with what the sensor is sensing. I.E.: more airflow than expected.

On a 2006 I would inspect the rubber air horn, especially where the PCV hose attached, for cracks. Or the power brake booster vacuum line. Might even indicate a bad brake booster.

Another possibility is a bad connection at one of the connectors to the ECM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
This link: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0121 is very different from what the HHR Service Manual says.

Mitchell OnDemand says that you should be looking for air getting into the manifold between the MAF and the MAP. Perhaps a malfunction of either the MAP or MAF.

Most likely the MAP is malfunctioning or a vacuum leak on the manifold
What they are saying is : it's not a problem with the throttle position sensor, it's a problem with what the sensor is sensing. I.E.: more airflow than expected.

On a 2006 I would inspect the rubber air horn, especially where the PCV hose attached, for cracks. Or the power brake booster vacuum line. Might even indicate a bad brake booster.

Another possibility is a bad connection at one of the connectors to the ECM.
I had a shop put on an aluminum intake and it started after I first got it back, they said car was a pain to tune until new tps sensor was installed. Also had loose wire that they installed and it runs just fine but still kicks on the code. I will look at what you said also.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Technical Moderator

"shop put on an aluminum intake"; The book says the manifold gaskets are prime suspects. Aluminum is more rigid than plastic, so I'm thinking you may need thicker O-rings on the TB and the head.

I would not trust that shop with DTCs. They completely mis read the description and didn't read the definition. The code descriptor is: Throttle Position Sensor PERFORMANCE. The condition for setting the code is: The ECM detects that the calculated airflow rate is more than expected.

There is not so much air that the ECM can't adjust for it, so you don't get P0171/P0172 lean condition. But it is more than the TP is indicating.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 AM

"shop put on an aluminum intake"; The book says the manifold gaskets are prime suspects. Aluminum is more rigid than plastic, so I'm thinking you may need thicker O-rings on the TB and the head.

I would not trust that shop with DTCs. They completely mis read the description and didn't read the definition. The code descriptor is: Throttle Position Sensor PERFORMANCE. The condition for setting the code is: The ECM detects that the calculated airflow rate is more than expected.

There is not so much air that the ECM can't adjust for it, so you don't get P0171/P0172 lean condition. But it is more than the TP is indicating.
before I had the intake installed I did get a 171 but was fixed with intake. 121 started after I first got it back and replaced tps sensor which made car run better but than got the 172 which was fixed this passed week and car doesn't hesitate or fall on it's face like it did. The only problem I'm having other than 121 is when coming to stop it takes a bit to idle down and when it does it does in steps not instantly. Should I try to do a idle relearn?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:51 AM
Technical Moderator

Idle relearn is just idling for 4 minutes.

What have you done to change the way the injectors work? What other engine mods?

The pedal controls the air, the ECM controls the fuel. Sound like the person tuning does not know enough.

My guess is you are getting bad MPG.

Have you looked at the EVAP purge valve? Disconnect it completely and blow through it; if it is free flowing it is bad and admitting unmetered air. It can cause P0171/P0172.

Since your car is not stock it is very difficult to diagnose on the interwebs.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Idle relearn is just idling for 4 minutes.

What have you done to change the way the injectors work? What other engine mods?

The pedal controls the air, the ECM controls the fuel. Sound like the person tuning does not know enough.

My guess is you are getting bad MPG.

Have you looked at the EVAP purge valve? Disconnect it completely and blow through it; if it is free flowing it is bad and admitting unmetered air. It can cause P0171/P0172.

Since your car is not stock it is very difficult to diagnose on the interwebs.
The car has had a turbo kit installed which came from another person on this forum but don't remember his name but his car was red with flames, aluminum intake and injectors was replaced with the split spray from Bosch I think. As far as mileage I'm getting 20 right now but just got car back Saturday from tuner running it on synonyms. And you are right, this tuner hasn't ever tuned a car like this but I don't think it's his tuning. I will check purge valve today and let you know what I found.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:26 AM
Technical Moderator

Okay, I have no help. Maybe someone else can help.

Some after market part is not installed correctly or is broken. Non-stock injectors require non-stock tuning.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Administrator

The system is off Bob from GDZHHR

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/feat...mission-51436/

These photos could explain some damages
Old 05-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Once you start putting aftermarket parts on you start getting aftermarket problems. You have done far too many modifications for your issues to be solved by conventional means. Every layer of mod is another potential failure point, unfortunately.

When it comes to cars you can have two of the following, never all three; CHEAP, RELIABLE, FAST

Quick Reply: P0121 code