2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Performance increase mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:09 AM

Question Performance increase mods

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what mods I could do that would increase performance of my 2.4 HHR Auto? would be also be nice to lower the torque curve so I could obtain my peak torque at lower rpms as opposed to the stock 4000rpm for peak torque.

Solid motor mount, tune and so-on.

One of my biggest complaints with this car is it's lack of go, the auto trans is useless and it always feels like it's slipping and never solid in a gear unless I am really on it. Also, anyone know how I could speed up gear changes (when car is in I mode the shift to first gear is nice quick and solid.) I wish all gears felt like that.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

( it'd be really cool if someone found a way to add a manual slap stick style shift.)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Without going forced induction (which will be expensive) there isn't any options really to add power to that engine. Tuning will help. Just dont expect it to become a race car.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by bursjon
anyone know how I could speed up gear changes (when car is in I mode the shift to first gear is nice quick and solid.) I wish all gears felt like that.
The shift to first gear.... From reverse, neutral? Park? What does this even mean?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Administrator

A tune will address transmission shifts
Old 03-15-2019, 05:43 PM

One of my biggest complaints with this car is it's lack of go, the auto trans is useless and it always feels like it's slipping and never solid in a gear
Ever think you have a trans problem to begin with ?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe a header & cat back performance exhaust, CAI (Cold Air Intake & good "tune" after to match the mods.

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Ever think you have a trans problem to begin with ?
Was thinking same thought..

I use Low for take off, then "I" for having some twisty road fun.. I don't need forced induction, I can get speeding tickets as it is.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:24 AM

Sorry that was bad wording. the shift from first to second in I mode is a nice solid shift. I know there is no transmission problem as I have had it checked out, it's just the way transmission behave. I did some research and when the HHR is in I mode the shift between first and second is sped up by increasing the line pressure to the transmission if I am not mistaken.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:25 AM

As for tuning. what would be the best option for getting an HHR Tuned in Ontario Canada?

P.S I also wanted to add. I know that these cars a quiet heavy and are not going to be a speed machine. My biggest complaint is the lack of low end torque. These engines produce peak torque at 4K rpm. It would be nice if it had some more bottom end grunt.

Last edited by bursjon; 03-17-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:51 AM

As for tuning. what would be the best option for getting an HHR Tuned in Ontario Canada?

P.S I also wanted to add. I know that these cars a quiet heavy and are not going to be a speed machine. My biggest complaint is the lack of low end torque. These engines produce peak torque at 4K rpm. It would be nice if it had some more bottom end grunt.
Honestly, you should just accept the limitations of NA and get an SS to start with. You are never going to get where it sounds like you want to be.
That, or spend the ridiculous money it will take to go Turbo or SC.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Curb weight on these cars can be from 3100 to 3200 lb. pounds (1400kg/1450kg). That to me is not heavy compared to some other cars and definitely SUV's or pickups.
You want more "grunt" build a stroker engine. Live with what you have.
If HP Tuner is available, you could install it and start changing engine parameters to make the torque curve move more to where you would want it, but you will lose top end.

Quick Reply: Performance increase mods