2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Problem flashing Trifecta tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Problem flashing Trifecta tune

Hello all,

Just pulled the trigger Monday to get a tune and red cable from Bad News Racing. I discussed it with them first and they said mine would need the red cable even though mine is 2007 and it says reds are for 2008 and up. Got the tune and instructions emailed to me same day and got the cable Thursday. My car is 2.4L auto w/68K miles, totally original stock drivetrain, and running fine with no codes or issues. I was after a little better mileage but mostly better throttle response and midrange and better shifting. If you slow down for a right turn and get back on the gas it just seems to go silent for 3-4 seconds like it has to think about what to do.

So on Saturday I follow the instructions from Ashley exactly, download EZflash and the driver file for the cable, load it all on my Win7 laptop and go out to the car. I get to the point where it is getting ready to flash and it errors that it cannot connect to the ecu- make sure the cable is connected and the key is on but not running. I retried several times with no luck.

I emailed the help link in the instructions and described the error and attached the Trifecta log file. Ashley replied quickly and asked the basic questions and said it should work if the light on the cable is green. I did not know there was a light on the cable because it faces down and it's too cramped to see it when you sitting in the car. Turns out it was red. It failed again and I replied that it was red. She said that means the cable driver wasn't working. I looked in device manager and sure enough it said "other devices: EZflash" and no driver installed. I redownloaded the driver and after about 3 reloads I got it to attach and the light went green.

Full of confidence now I went back to the car and tried again. This time it connected to the ecu but I got a different error. Module Access Error: G16 "The programmer detected a problem with the software. Please contact software provider with the information supplied."

I retried with no luck. I took a screenshot of the error and sent that and the latest log file to Ashley about 3:30 yesterday and there have been no replies since. I'm guessing it has to go up the ladder or to Vince maybe.

Does anyone have any experience with this error? The tune file had my correct VIN on it.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 AM

I would suggest going to the source, Vince at Trifecta. He was extremely helpful with getting mine up and running.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

download the new easy flash to make sure you have the most recent version.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
download the new easy flash to make sure you have the most recent version.
All downloads were done Saturday as I mentioned and I redownloaded anyway just to make sure. I just now compared the ezflash version from my Bad News link with the one on WOT-tuning and it is the same 1.10.36.0. I did however find that the red cable driver is a different version #. BNR and Trifecta pages have CDM20814 and WOT has CDM20828. I'll give that one a try next.

I'm trying to make BNR live up to their promise of support before I go to Vince. I figure they're forwarding anything they can't answer to him anyway. I can't help but think the error "The programmer detected a problem with the software" could mean that the file sent to me does not match my ecu. I see a Cruze owner has the same problem posted but no replies yet.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-gen...ssue-1-8l.html

Last edited by jlh152; 03-03-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Just tried the other driver for the red cable with no luck. Same error. :^(
Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 PM

My suspicion was right. Ashley got back to me today with a different file and said "this one should work for you". The flash worked, took about 20 minutes to flash. Just finished at 10:30 pm.

Tomorrow morning I get to try it. Can't wait.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 PM

So far so good! It definitely gets off the line better and feels peppier when you dip into the throttle from 40-50 to pick up the pace a little. If you floor it, it winds out the gears a lot higher. In fact you about have to back off the gas a little to get it to shift. I got it up over 6500 rpm without it shifting this morning, until I backed down a little. Overall I don't think the dyno would show a large increase, but the seat of the pants is impressed. Over the next week I'll be able to tell if I'm happy with the shifting program. My commute isn't very challenging in that regard so the weekend will help evaluate that.

The sound has also changed. I hear less of what I call the direct injection sound, kind of a groan under acceleration. When I first got the car my wife thought something was wrong with the engine. I'll have to wait until the next tank to evaluate gas mileage since I've been into the gas a lot so far. I'll post an update in a week or so when I have more experience with it.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by jlh152
So far so good! It definitely gets off the line better and feels peppier when you dip into the throttle from 40-50 to pick up the pace a little. If you floor it, it winds out the gears a lot higher. In fact you about have to back off the gas a little to get it to shift. I got it up over 6500 rpm without it shifting this morning, until I backed down a little. Overall I don't think the dyno would show a large increase, but the seat of the pants is impressed. Over the next week I'll be able to tell if I'm happy with the shifting program. My commute isn't very challenging in that regard so the weekend will help evaluate that.

The sound has also changed. I hear less of what I call the direct injection sound, kind of a groan under acceleration. When I first got the car my wife thought something was wrong with the engine. I'll have to wait until the next tank to evaluate gas mileage since I've been into the gas a lot so far. I'll post an update in a week or so when I have more experience with it.
.....well ?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM

Im looking into doing this tune where can i get it and the cable