2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Product Review: Trifecta Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up Product Review: Trifecta Tune

Just completed the install of the Trifecta Tune. Very simple to install and the increase in overall performance is very impressive! Our 1LT Panel came factory with the 2.4 Ecotec! Our n/a 2.4 Ecotec was pretty flat from 0 to 3,000 rpm range! After speaking with Tom @: https://chevyhhrworld.com/chwtc/index.html he then directed me to Vince @: www.trifectaperformance.com for some more personal information on our current mods to this point and what we were looking for in general performance!

We first tackled the transmission program! I mentioned ours was an automatic / dailey driver and would prefer to have a mild performance program install in which I was told that would be no problem! Then we discussed the engine portion of the program! I chose to have the Max MPH deleted from the factory program! Then had the rev limiter re-set from the factory park / nuetral setting of 3,500 rpm to the overall setting of 6,500 rpm. Then in talking with Vince he explained a point A to point B timing and fuel program settings. A being factory and B being Max program setting for Max Performance! We agreed on 75% of the B setting!

Well after about a 30 minute download and install it was fire it up and let's see what the program had done for our lifeless n/a 2.4! Pulling out of the Driveway I nail it and imediately notice the flat spot or hesitation to 3,000 rpm range is gone! Shifts between gears are just what I had hoped for, firm but not jaring, excellent for a dailey driver! Headed to the freeway for some top end thoughts! Getting on the on ramp I do a quick Highway Patrol check in the mirrors and decide all clear, and I procede to giver all it's got! Let me just say that although it ain't a Turbo it does pretty well for a n/a 2.4! Coming back from Tom's Farm last week I had a chance to test the 140 mph SS Speedo and took it to 115 mph @ 6,300 rpm! Don't think I'll be doing that much more as it was winding pretty hard!

Although I have no dyno numbers for proof of performance, Vince at Trifecta know's his tunes! And although I doubt anything major in the Horse Power ratings gains I will say that the settings he does creates a more responsive HHR! Also if anyone is considering purchasing a tune contact Tom as his service and prices are the best! He saves you money with a loaner cable so you can download straight from a laptop! This is "By Far the Best" $205.00 mod we have done to DLVRNIT .....

Trifecta Tunes gets a ,
Old 11-15-2009, 10:02 PM

Very cool! I've been considering a tune for a little while....
Old 11-15-2009, 10:06 PM

Hey CCK,

The other "GREAT" thing is the tune is compatable with a stock HHR ! He writes the program to what your HHR Mods are; (nothing, a little or a lot) !
Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 PM

WOW. I've followed (um tried to follow ) this HHR before this tune. Holly smokes, it will now be ... count one, two and he's gone . Nice job Kevin
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

That's good info, Thanks Kevin..
Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM

Tunes are a wonderful thing!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:08 PM

In the Great State of KommiKalifornia

I'm really envious of you for doing the tune but...Dont' want to place a dark cloud on things but....

If someone can argue successfully past these points or has already successfully "beat the system" - I'm all ears, but for my own peace of mind I would hesitate to perform something like this especially in this great (cynical/sarcastic) state of California:

Unless you plan on getting rid of your panel before it reaches 5 model years old how do you plan on getting past the State's mandatory smog check. I hope it's simple as reverting back to the original factory tune.

This leads me to the next observation, doesn't GM have the ability to monitor whether the PCM programming has been modified? - even if the PCM programming has reverted to stock tuning?

Something to consider, but if you choose not to then more power to you
Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM

Well let me first state that the information I will say is not from being a Engineer or a Computa Wiz! The reason I bring this up is I personally don't like to get into debates with members that claim all of my information is untrue or I have no personal facts of my claims or that I have been mis-informed! What I know comes from Our Personal GM Mechanic and the Writer of the Tune!

In regards to passing California Smog Laws, here's what I hope to be true! I installed a High Flow Single Cat Downpipe! Visual inspection "Fail" possibly? I have the stock downpipe in which I can re-install if need be! All else should pass the visual! In regards to the emissions part, the tune has the engine running leaner and with staying on top of the oil changes or any other maintenance items there should not be an issue with it passing smog for a years to come!

On to the programing install being detected by the dealer, I was told generally that with all standard service the tune should go undetected unless there was a reason for someone to have to research the modules history! I beleave when codes or problems usually arise a code pops up, the problem is addressed and code cleared! I mean we've already voided the driveline warranty with it being lowered, right? So with your questions I say yes there could be issues, but I will cross that bridge when we get to it!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by DLVRNIT
Well let me first state that the information I will say is not from being a Engineer or a Computa Wiz! The reason I bring this up is I personally don't like to get into debates with members that claim all of my information is untrue or I have no personal facts of my claims or that I have been mis-informed! What I know comes from Our Personal GM Mechanic and the Writer of the Tune!

In regards to passing California Smog Laws, here's what I hope to be true! I installed a High Flow Single Cat Downpipe! Visual inspection "Fail" possibly? I have the stock downpipe in which I can re-install if need be! All else should pass the visual! In regards to the emissions part, the tune has the engine running leaner and with staying on top of the oil changes or any other maintenance items there should not be an issue with it passing smog for a years to come!

On to the programing install being detected by the dealer, I was told generally that with all standard service the tune should go undetected unless there was a reason for someone to have to research the modules history! I beleave when codes or problems usually arise a code pops up, the problem is addressed and code cleared! I mean we've already voided the driveline warranty with it being lowered, right? So with your questions I say yes there could be issues, but I will cross that bridge when we get to it!
KEVIN,

In no way was my post meant as a flame or to place doubt, just curious as to how others may answer this..Cool?

Daryl
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM

Hey Daryl,

I've kinda figured out how you Roll () and in no way was the reply meant sound harsh towards yourself ! Also I should have said in post #8 that the following information is what I know from my Mechanic and Vince at Trifecta ! It's just that sometimes there are lurkers out there that just feed on some of us HHR owners that are learning as we go ! Oh and as far as getting rid of it before 5 years, I'm planning on taking it with me .....

Quick Reply: Product Review: Trifecta Tune