2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Rear mounted turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:57 PM

Rear mounted turbo?

Now probably alot of you will have doubt. I dont because People who actually had have this done told me it works ( now you can't run crazy amount of boost but low range 4-6 psi works fine) Rear mounted turbo set up's has any one thought of the pro's and cons? I am hella willing to try it, being if i knew what everyting it needed. I know it is way cheaper since you dont need a manifold made or headers. Also what about the old sunbird and cav's didn't they have a 2.4 or 2.3L with a turbo set up on it? Has any one ran a gasket search to see if they match? But yes a rear mounted turbo any one else have opions on it like Pro's and Con's?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 AM

Rear mounts have a lot os pros and few cons IMO. STS had a rear-mount Turbo on an HHR at SEMA last year. The kit is supposed to street around $4495, but they have yet to complete it as a "production ready, direct bolt-on" kit. I'm bothering them all the time about it though.

Perhaps soon...

- But do you really need that to compete?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:28 AM

yes but if you made your own it would be cheaper fromw what i've talked to people who have done this. ( IF YOU CAN FIND A GOOD EXHAUST SHOP ) this being so what do you need like who has a draw out of it besides STS? since i can't copy right their idea.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:54 AM

Many folks would rather pay $4500 for a kit that has been tested and proven by a company who specializes in rear-mount turbos and has hundreds on the road today without issues. On the other hand, I know very few willing to commit their brand spankin' new daily driver Ecotec engines to an unproven turbo system that has no specific design strategies or developmental testing background.

The HHR's PCM (powertrain contol module), makes things a bit more difficult than the "days of yore" where we just bolted things on and tweaked the timing and mixture until it worked right. This is the reason there are currently only 2 intake systems on the market. The HHR is very "finicky" regarding intake flow dynamics and it likes to see certain parameters met to operate properly.

With the Ecotec engine - I say it's best left to professionals.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:32 AM

i hope that STS pushes it into production!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:00 PM

OK, it's now getting to be that time with my turbo. I've finally gotten off my ass and set an appointment for Tuesday on installation. I'm going to work with one of the service advisors (who also owns an HHR) on a rear-mount setup. Just had to run a forum search to see more of the cons. I read through STS's website and it sounds pretty convincing, especially after seeing the 650hp C6. I'm still concerned about turbo lag and lack of boost, but that's about it. Actually, I'm really worried about the dough. Hopefully we can work something out to run at low boost before worrying about sending my ECM to TTP. Man, and then there's the TCM to consider... Sometimes I wish I'd gotten the five-speed.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Keep us posted, The Squires Turbo is awesome. Been thinking about some sort of boost, ( gotta Turbo Caravan 89 ) love it , but father time is catching up to it.
The latest turbos don`t have a lag time. more Hi-tech.
I intercooled mine and it actually boosts faster, and more power...

PS., wish I could post pics, but sorta got on someone else about talking non-HHR stuff, so there...
Old 09-13-2006, 07:38 PM

http://www.turbovan.net/van.html
I think it's the ultimate sleeper.

On the other hand, I know very few willing to commit their brand spankin' new daily driver Ecotec engines to an unproven turbo system that has no specific design strategies or developmental testing background.
Glad I get employee discount on engines.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:44 PM

Hey Bryce...I've gotta come out and see this when it's done. Make sure you let me know so I can do that.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:08 AM

Well, it will certainly be a learning experience for you!

You'll find out what I mean once you get it installed...

Quick Reply: Rear mounted turbo?