2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Switch to Synthetic now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Switch to Synthetic now?

So I just bought this 2007 HHR LT, and of course most dealerships will change the oil before the cars are put up for sale. I bought it from an independent dealer and it has a Ford sticker indicating the next mileage but it doesn't show a date. When I looked for this car online I know it has been for sale for at least a month.

Plus the dealer didn't have a second key fob for me...said only one was turned in. When I asked where the bungee net was, he said what you see is all that comes with it. After reading this forum I found out about the storage bins behind the seats and loe and behold there was my bungee net....the dealer didn't even know it was there.

So the moral of this story is I picked up a great deal on 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and a Purolator filter to hold until my next oil change. But I am wondering if I should just go ahead and change the oil now? According to the miles I have another 2500 before the change would technically be required(almost 99% sure it was conventional they used), and 86% life on the DIC.

I don't have to do any mixing of blends and ease into Full Synthetic do I? Would it be silly and wasteful just to go ahead and do it now? I just want to make sure I take care of this as best I can and don't want to take any chances.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Stryker-

Congrats on yer new wheels...

No special rituals needed to switch to full Syn. Just do it..But only after you have motor warmed up, to get a good drain of all the dirt mixed up in the oil.

Cold drain = particles settled on pan bottom & etc, & not coming out during drain.. Not advisable.

And if it makes ya feel better, do it now.. Otherwise do it when it's ready for the change, & remember to re-set the Oil Life Monitor.

Me, I like to do a oil & filter change myself ASAP, & then I know where I'm starting at..& I use Mobil 1 full syn in everything !!!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:04 AM

As long as the car has under 60,000 miles,it's acceptable to change over to synthetic oil.Above that you risk increased oil consumtion problems due to normal engine wear.This information was told to me by someone who worked for the oil distribution company the dealers use in this area.He got the information from an oil company engineer whom he had asked at the request of someone who was considering a switch to synthetic oil.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:32 AM

So does this mean after 60,000 miles I should switch off of Synthetic or go to a blend?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM

The only rule I've ever lived by is "Once you go synthetic, you can't go back."

Just switch the next time you change the oil... I plan on doing the same.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM

If you start using synthetic oil well before 60,000 miles,keep on using it-there won't be any problems.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM

Aw, jeez....

Switch to synthetic any time you feel like it!!

Please ignore the myth and lore on the interwebz.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:37 PM

Right it isn't my intention to go back. Just wasn't sure because I had never heard the 60,000 mile thing. I am at 44,500 right now.

I went by Advanced on the way to work this morning and got the Lisele 14700 32mm GM socket and an oil pan. I got the Rhino ramps on sale yesterday for $29.99 so I will probably change the oil on Monday. I work Friday, Saturday, and Sundays :)
Old 09-25-2009, 01:13 PM

Just make sure to set the park brake and chock the back wheels. I lost a good friend in high school when his Chevelle fell on him. You can never be too careful when working under a car.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by RaineMan
Just make sure to set the park brake and chock the back wheels. I lost a good friend in high school when his Chevelle fell on him. You can never be too careful when working under a car.

Sorry to hear about that and thanks for the reminder...will do.

Quick Reply: Switch to Synthetic now?