2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Tire smoking little monster.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM

Tire smoking little monster.....

No 2.4 posts here lately, so I'll liven things up. SSGuy was noting that cold weather produces more power. I have to agree. Yesterday I had the stereo up while waiting for a gap in traffic so I could left turn. A spot appeared, and without thinking I cut the wheel left and floored it. My first impression was, "dang Elvis is flat on the bottom end today." Then the flashing traction light came on and I zipped through the gap. Then the burnt rubber smell was sucked into the HVAC. I looked back and there was a curving black line painted on the pavement. It wasn't sluggish, it was spinning the whole time - I couldn't hear the squealing due to the stereo. This HHR at least responds really well to cold weather. I don't know how much is simply the temperature, and how much is the GMPP, but Elvis is sure eager these cold days.

I have noticed that over speedbumps Elvis' suspension is making the squeaky bedspring noise. Since it is not uncommon according to the forum here, I am not going to worry about it since I don't traverse many speedbumps. Thanks for all of the shared info folks.

God Bless, Marc
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM

HHR + cold weather = squeeks LOL
Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 AM

Also consider that colder weather causes the fuel injection system to alter the air/fuel ratio, burning more gas, especially off the start.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Cold denser air & more fuel.

Marc- You love it !! & will possibly need new tires in no time..
Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 AM

Oh yeah....I am loving the new-found power. :-) I guess I need to feed it air conditioned air in the southern summers. Hah, hah.

As far as squeeks in the winter, I found the sources of console squeeks and posted a fix a few days back. The spring/strut squeeks? Don't know yet, as Elvis only does that over speed bumps. My old car did the same, so it doesn't bother me.

Burning more gas in the winter? Well, if it keeps making power like this I won't complain.

God Bless, Marc
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 AM

When I took a test drive in 2006 I was impressed with how I spun the tires at about 3/4 throttle from a stop sign. Personally, I have the Autolite plugs, CGS intake with dry filter, computer programmed by Tunetime, and IMCO muffler. Even with my Goodyear Tripletreds, I have to hold tight on the wheel when I step on the gas or it wrenches out of my hand and tries to turn left. And any more than 1/3 on the gas pedal squeals the tires. The only problem for me is then I get the T/C code and the car goes into rough shifting mode. But that is still fun, since when I get on it the car will chirp second gear nicely.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
Then the burnt rubber smell was sucked into the HVAC.
I was in the Hendersonville/Asheville area during New Years. Missed a turn and when I made a u-turn and got on it, I got that smell also. Even a little wheel hop. But not a mark on the road. No TC lights here.

And it was cold up there....
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cajun
HHR + cold weather = squeeks LOL
oneton + cold weather = squeeks + stiff joints
Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 AM

I got that squeak also in cold weather. It quickly goes away after driving for a while. I am not wondering if it could be the bushings for the shocks or other suspension components. I keep meaning to try spraying it with something like WD-40 to see if that stops it. I was reminded by the shop working on my race car, which has leaf springs and shackles, that when the bolts are tight they have a hard time swinging front to back and can make noise.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM

The reason you're wheels are spinning is because you have what's called "ice" on the roads. We're used to it up here.

Quick Reply: Tire smoking little monster.....