2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

The truth about oil and spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 PM

The truth about oil and spark plugs

I am compelled to say something regarding the Chevy HHR and the care and maintenance thereof. Let's start with the most obvious thing; the 3000 mile oil change. This 'standard' was established over 60 years ago when engines were generally rough cast iron and oil was only one process away from crude. ALERT!!!! Engines have changed and improved greatly. And oil is now so refined it could almost be used for cooking (I said ALMOST). It is a waste of a DIMINISHING natural resource to change your oil before it is needed. The manufacturers figured this out and most recommend somewhere between 5000 and 7500 miles. My 2006 2.4L 5M has a computer that tells me when to change my oil, and it's generally around 9000 - 10000 miles. I have just rolled over 168,000 miles and, as much as I hate to say something nice about the car, only to have it fail, I haven't replaced ANYTHING on this car except a heat sensor for the electric fan and normal 'wear and tear' items (tires, filters, battery, etc).
Next, this controversy about changing your own spark plugs and, if doing so, using E3's. I JUST (yes, at 167,870 miles) changed my spark plugs. And I changed them to E3's. If you have mechanic tools and know a socket from a wrench, then you, too, can change your own plugs. And if you choose to remove all 4 spark plug wires at once, feel free to do so. You couldn't get them back on wrong if you tried. They are a wiring harness and are laid out so each wire will only reach it's assigned plug. The naysayers are either mechanics or have some related agenda. It's not rocket science.
As far as the E3's go, I did that, too. I drive my car the same way today as I did 8 years ago. It will still do 80 in third gear (near red line) and the E3's work just fine. Now, every car is different so your results may be vary, but as my car is virtually stock, I observed the following results (without a dyno): Fuel economy is just slightly better, combined 27 mpg over the previous 25 mpg combined. As far as power is concerned, in 5th gears at 70 mph, going up a 4 % grade, the car held steady at 70. Before it would slow as much as 2-3 mph. I can only guess that those of you that have problems with E3's, don't have 'stock' engines anymore and have not accounted for that, but rather blamed it on the plugs. In this case, I'm guessing you work for AC Delco. :-).
SAVE OUR RESOURCES, USE OIL WISELY. YOUR GRANDFATHER WAS RIGHT ABOUT 3000, BUT YOU ARE NOT!!!!!!

PS The engine runs quieter and smoother with the E3's. Don't know why.

Last edited by thelastplace; 06-04-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: To add info
Old 06-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

I am SO close to closing this thread for the following reasons:

1. if you had actually changed your plugs, you would well know that there are no "spark plug wires" - they are coil-on-plug design. So the advice about disconnecting all 4 plug wires is kinda silly - as as you say, it's not rocket science.

2. the whole issue about 3000 mile oil changes has been discussed to death here already - and does not need to be discussed again. If you want to change your oil every 3000 miles, one is free to do so - and if you want to follow GM's recommendation via the DIC, you are also free to do so as well.

3. E3 plugs - several members have used them and found problem with misfires - on STOCK engines. To suggest they work for AC Delco is just a bit insulting.

4. running the original plugs for 167,870 miles indicates two things: - not following the recommended maintenance schedule for spark plug changes - and if one got that many miles out of the AC Delco plugs why would one even consider changing to something else that is known to cause some members real problems (let alone the various other forums where people reported problems/issues with various other makes of vehicles). If they work for you, great!!! But so far they have not had a great review here.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

I AM COMPELLED TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT this opening post......

For all the reasons posted by whopper (and then some), I say what a bunch of horse pucky.

Sounds like someone who needs to hear himself to justify his existence.

Enough said.

Oh, I forgot to ask....can I get my click back. Waste of time!!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Well - I thought about it for a while....... thread closed.