Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.4L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/)
-   -   Wheres the Zip? (was it ever there?) (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/wheres-zip-ever-there-39842/)

coolzzy 03-13-2012 12:05 PM

I'm shifting at 5k rpm, not willing to push it beyond that. The motor is stock, no CAI or tune.

us11csalyer 03-13-2012 12:31 PM

I know the LS 4spd I had didn't have any pep to it. TBH non-SS HHRs have never had pep. Get the SC kit and a tune.

bigjacksauto 03-13-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by us11csalyer (Post 625966)
I know the LS 4spd I had didn't have any pep to it. TBH non-SS HHRs have never had pep. Get the SC kit and a tune.

Once again pep is all relative in comparison to what you are use to driving
My non hhr makes its power at higher rpms pulls its hardest from 4k on up it ia a 4 valve per cylinder motor after all.
I find the hhr has plenty of power you just have to put your foot into it more. Unlike some newer cars where you have it quarter throttle and assume there is 75 percent more power left
Only to find you are all done when trying to pass someone
Checkout the 1/4 mile mph and et on the hhr pretty good comoared to others.

us11csalyer 03-13-2012 03:25 PM

I guess it has more pep than a civic lmfao. Being serious though the HHR is a very good daily driver for most and if you want real pep get the SC kit or get the SS model.

sleeper 03-13-2012 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by coolzzy (Post 625953)
I'm shifting at 5k rpm, not willing to push it beyond that. The motor is stock, no CAI or tune.

The motor has a Rev-Limiter set to 6500 rpms. Mine pulls good to that. And sounds fine..

But I do not beat my ride either.. I just like to know it can go as needed..& it does.. It's not a racer, but it will zip along very well..

If yours sounds like it's coming apart @ 5k rpms, something's not right..
I wouldn't rev it any higher either..

Breadfan 03-13-2012 11:33 PM

I had an auto with the 2.4L. I had realistic expectations of it. While I felt there should have been a little more difference in power between the 2.2L and the 2.4L, it seemed to move very well compared to cars in its class, i.e. other N/A 4 cylinder crossover/small suv. It seemed to excel at the little things like getting going in traffic and cruising on the highway. 0-60 and passing at highway speed was so-so but acceptable depending on situation. I think the "hot rod" looks of the front of the car may lead some people to have unrealistic expectations of performance. It should be peppy enough for most people, but if you aren't ever going to be happy with "sedan" level performance, you'll need to pony up for something with some extra horses. When I had my 2.4L, I must say that I was very happy with what I referred to as my poor man's suv. It was great looking and I could afford it.

us11csalyer 03-14-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Breadfan (Post 626157)
I had an auto with the 2.4L. I had realistic expectations of it. While I felt there should have been a little more difference in power between the 2.2L and the 2.4L, it seemed to move very well compared to cars in its class, i.e. other N/A 4 cylinder crossover/small suv. It seemed to excel at the little things like getting going in traffic and cruising on the highway. 0-60 and passing at highway speed was so-so but acceptable depending on situation. I think the "hot rod" looks of the front of the car may lead some people to have unrealistic expectations of performance. It should be peppy enough for most people, but if you aren't ever going to be happy with "sedan" level performance, you'll need to pony up for something with some extra horses. When I had my 2.4L, I must say that I was very happy with what I referred to as my poor man's suv. It was great looking and I could afford it.

x2. You hit it right on the head.

Doctuh 03-14-2012 09:24 AM

I don't understand

The best tradeoff on cost vs performance, in my opinion, has always been the 2.4 with the manual. They are rare. Good find! Girlfriend and I got 2006 and 2007 fully-loaded (heated seats, sunroof) 2LT manuals during the recession for under $10K each, and have never regretted it. If you want better performance, get a 2-seat sports car (mine is an S2000, hers a Z4). If you are restricted to one vehicle, then you should have gotten an SS (currently cheap after their power train warranty expires if you are feeling like risk-taking). We use our 2LTs for hauling bicycles, band instruments, and other big stuff and our sports cars for fun. The performance of the manual 2LT (compared to LS or automatic) is enough for us.