Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Added Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Added Silverstars

Went out and got me some 'Stars this morning. Applenut's how to really helped a lot. Let me tell you, I'm not sure what kind of pushpins you guys have in your fender walls but holy moly! What a PITA they were to remove I thought the whole fender was going to come off with me trying to yank them out.

Anyways the fogs are real simple...the headlights are sort of a blind reach but do-able. I think my passenger side new Star might not be long for this world though The rubber gasket from the OEM bulb stayed in the housing so I was trying to get the Silverstar in there and could not figure out why it was so difficult to get in. In the process of trying to get it in I scratched the dark coating on the tip of it and may have gotten a drop of sweat on it to boot. I guess I'll find out...sort of ticks me off a bit but I've moved on as what's done is done

Here are some pics with OEM on the passenger side and the Silverstars on the drivers side...I think you can see a difference but I'll let you be the judge

Name:  IMG_1490.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1491.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  66.9 KB

Goose
Old 05-26-2007, 01:30 PM

Definately a crisper white light!! Will show better at night though Some lucky person will be receiving these for a door prize in 2 weeks
Old 05-26-2007, 01:54 PM

Yeah but I wasn't going to drive around all day with one SS and one OEM

Goose
Old 05-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Goose
Went out and got me some 'Stars this morning. Applenut's how to really helped a lot. Let me tell you, I'm not sure what kind of pushpins you guys have in your fender walls but holy moly! What a PITA they were to remove I thought the whole fender was going to come off with me trying to yank them out.
When I put mud guards on last weekend, they would not budge so I ended up using cutting pliers and cut them off. Didn't need to reuse them to put the guards on so it wasn't a big deal.

I bought a dozen of them at the dealership as spares...sounds like I'll need them if I can ever find the Silverstars around here.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 PM

Wow...what a difference! Nice bright white light compared to the OEM's..the fogs are now like flood lights!

They look great to boot

Goose
Old 05-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Goose; That is one of the 1st mods I did to my 06, funny putting in the wife's on sunday oooh today now that I look at the time.
They are real good in the fogs as you can see
Old 05-28-2007, 09:15 PM

I'll be interesting to see how long they last. I tried putting them in my prior Kia Sorento SUV at around 35,000mi and was ULTRA careful with the bulbs, but every few months a Silverstar would burn out. After going through about 5 of the suckers as each headlight alternated burning out, I actually ended up putting the original stock bulbs back in and they lasted until I just turned the vehicle in - never burning out once up to 65,000miles....
Old 05-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by NHHHR
I'll be interesting to see how long they last. I tried putting them in my prior Kia Sorento SUV at around 35,000mi and was ULTRA careful with the bulbs, but every few months a Silverstar would burn out. After going through about 5 of the suckers as each headlight alternated burning out, I actually ended up putting the original stock bulbs back in and they lasted until I just turned the vehicle in - never burning out once up to 65,000miles....
I'm wondering if certain vehicles have this problem. I put them in my Infiniti G20 and never had a problem. However in my Ford ZX3 they would burn out very fast like in your Kia
Old 05-28-2007, 10:22 PM

Goose, I have to ask about your plates. Are those some type of special order for New Hampshire, or are those standard issue? I LOVE that New Hampshire would even be ballsy enough to put that on their plates. Everyone seems to be politically correct anymore, so I would think "Live free or die" on a license plate would fall under this category. Gotta love it though!!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by jayhawker
Goose, I have to ask about your plates. Are those some type of special order for New Hampshire, or are those standard issue? I LOVE that New Hampshire would even be ballsy enough to put that on their plates. Everyone seems to be politically correct anymore, so I would think "Live free or die" on a license plate would fall under this category. Gotta love it though!!

jayhawker, those are the actual plates for New Hampshire, my wife's aunt & uncle live there, and every year we drive up to Maine so I have seen plenty of them to know...pretty sweet if you ask me.

I had the silverstars in my '02 Cavalier, although I have not put them in my HHR...yet. I never had a problem with the headlight bulbs, and I traded it in for the HHR with 40,000+ miles on it. However, the fog light bulbs burned out more times than I can count. I did contact Sylvania about the problem, adn they sent me replacements free of charge. Something else I would recommend too. Just buy them at Wal-Mart and keep the package & receipt. When they burn out, bring them back to Wal-Mart & tell them they are defective. They will give you a new set no ?s asked. I did that several times. Wal-Mart will take just about anything on return.

Quick Reply: Added Silverstars