Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Aftermarket fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 AM

Question Aftermarket fog lights

I did a search and found a few threads, but most of them the photo's do not still work (at least they only showed the red X for me).

I am looking at installing a set of aftermarket fogs on mine. I am curious to see what others have used and how they mounted them. I noticed on some of the search results some used the stock dummy plugs and curious how they did that. Those are the pics I was hoping to see. I have not decided on what light to use yet. I'm thinking of a set of halo's, but still looking. Hoping to find something in the 4-4.5" range.

So who's got some photo's to share.

Also, how did you get the wiring through the firewall?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 AM
jx3

Here are a few pix of aftermarket halos.......

I'll see what other info I can find here as to how they are mounted and wires ran.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:39 AM

CJ used a dremel and cut out the middle of the covers. I think PNOY gutted the whole thing except for the outer shell, screwed the brackets onto the inside of it and popped them back in. He also added some chrome around the front edge. Difference: CJ's still has the black cover visible while the other example is hollowed out around the light and the bracket.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 AM

Are these all people who did not have existing lights?

I have the covers and no lights. I'm on the fence with adding lights. I would like to just get rid of the covers, fill in the holes, and smooth the bumper but I think adding lights would be a cheaper route for the time being.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:50 AM

No existing headlights. Here are the one's with a hole in the cover:

Here's the how-to for a hollowed cover (courtesy of HHR PNOY)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2355978/2

both have posted these before, so I figured it was okay to repost since the pics have come down
Old 10-11-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by teech
No existing headlights. Here are the one's with a hole in the cover:

Here's the how-to for a hollowed cover (courtesy of HHR PNOY)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2355978/2

both have posted these before, so I figured it was okay to repost since the pics have come down
Thanks, both are a good idea. Guess I should find the lights first. I like those blue ones, they look like a good match for the Daytona. So the wiring was just tapped into the headlight power wire? Then grounded. Seems too easy. Looks like for the halo's, just tapped into the parking light power. So you didn't have to go through the firewall? If you did, where? In the past, I just drilled a hole and sealed it back up. Trying to get away from that this time.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Thanks, both are a good idea. Guess I should find the lights first. I like those blue ones, they look like a good match for the Daytona. So the wiring was just tapped into the headlight power wire? Then grounded. Seems too easy. Looks like for the halo's, just tapped into the parking light power. So you didn't have to go through the firewall? If you did, where? In the past, I just drilled a hole and sealed it back up. Trying to get away from that this time.
PNOY tapped the Headlights. I believe CJ ran different wires and had a seperate switch installed (im sure of it). i don't know the technical mumbo jumbo
Old 10-11-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by teech
PNOY tapped the Headlights. I believe CJ ran different wires and had a seperate switch installed (im sure of it). i don't know the technical mumbo jumbo
I'm not worring about the actual wiring. Done lot's of fog light wiring. Just wondeirng about the firewall mainly and what brand, types, & styles some used. Never tapped into headlights before, but on my truck I had the halo's & city lights tapped into the parking lights.

Name:  halos.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  9.4 KB

The halo ring was around the highbeam side and the lowbeam had the city light, it only showed up if you only had the parking lights on. The halo could be seem with the lowbeams on thought.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I'm not worring about the actual wiring. Done lot's of fog light wiring. Just wondeirng about the firewall mainly and what brand, types, & styles some used. Never tapped into headlights before, but on my truck I had the halo's & city lights tapped into the parking lights.

The halo ring was around the highbeam side and the lowbeam had the city light, it only showed up if you only had the parking lights on. The halo could be seem with the lowbeams on thought.
Oh okay. In that case, I wish you could do the wiring for me!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:37 PM

I actually bought a remote system for my fog lights. I did mine the same as CJ did. It works really well. But the remote system wires up the same but just has a extra box (receiver) that needs mounting, which I mounted to the drivers side of the radiator. No real good spot for the remote, as of yet. It stays in the door handle spot for now. It is the same size and shape as the keyless remote for our HHR's. And found that on ebay and only paid like $10.

Did not like the idea of cutting through the firewall. So this works great for me. Just an idea for you

Quick Reply: Aftermarket fog lights