Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Can't reach Driver Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 AM

Can't reach Driver Armrest

So... first off; let me state that I ran a couple searches and read a couple threads I found, but didn't find the answer.

I am a somewhat tall person; and when I sit in my car I like to rest my right elbow on something while I'm holding the wheel and driving. The problem is, the driver seat Arm Rest is about 3 - 4 inches to low, and 2 - 3 inches too short.

I can fix the problem and rotating the Arm Rest up to a 30 - 45 degree angle and resting my elbow on the very edge; but if I were driving like that and have any sort of front-end related accident... my arm would be screwed resting like that.

So anyone have ideas on how I could add a few more inches to the height and length of this armrest?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 AM
jx3

Being tall myself, just shy of 6'5", I've not notice the armrest being short. Look's like we have different driving styles. The only time I use the armrest is while cruising on the highway, and I find myself holding the lower part of the steering wheel (towards the bottom right).
Old 02-25-2007, 02:01 PM

You get the armrest that fits into the window sill and instead, attach it with velcro to the armrest. Same color, works wonders.
This is what I use in my PT Cruiser Convertible and my HHR: http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ptcruis...P8167C601.aspx

Just attach it to the armrest and you're good 2 go.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jx3
Being tall myself, just shy of 6'5", I've not notice the armrest being short. Look's like we have different driving styles. The only time I use the armrest is while cruising on the highway, and I find myself holding the lower part of the steering wheel (towards the bottom right).
You are quite right... we are apparently different. I like to sit up; rather then back... and I prefer holding the middle of the wheel. If I hold the wheel anywhere near the bottom then I feel as though I am purposely trying to lower my shoulder to an uncomfortable position.

You're also taller then me; so you most likely have a longer arm length then me. This probably makes it easier for you to hold the lower part of the wheel without dropping your shoulder very much.

Originally Posted by CameraCrew
You get the armrest that fits into the window sill and instead, attach it with velcro to the armrest. Same color, works wonders.
This is what I use in my PT Cruiser Convertible and my HHR: http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ptcruis...P8167C601.aspx

Just attach it to the armrest and you're good 2 go.
Interesting...and that thing can be attached to the right side Armrest? Do you by chance have any pictures of yours mounted there?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nazramoth
Y

Interesting...and that thing can be attached to the right side Armrest? Do you by chance have any pictures of yours mounted there?
I don't attach it to the armrest. I have it in the window sill.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:43 PM

Ahh.. in the window sill.

I am referring to the center armrest, on the right side of the drivers seat. I am looking for something that I can do to extend its height and width... that isn't too "in the way"... so to say.

As for the window sill; it's too high for me as it is! ...and I already keep my seat raised as much as it'll go, but thats another matter all together!

For now I am just trying to figure out what I can do with the center armrest.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Hmmm... actually. I think I know what you're saying in your original post now CameraCrew.

Get that thing and wrap it around the center armrest with velcro tape or something... that actually might work. I'll have to ponder on that one.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nazramoth
Hmmm... actually. I think I know what you're saying in your original post now CameraCrew.

Get that thing and wrap it around the center armrest with velcro tape or something... that actually might work. I'll have to ponder on that one.
Just add velcro tape to bottom and a strip of velcro tape to seat armrest, or if you don't wanna add tape to the armrest, just use a couple rubber bands or an old tube sock.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 AM

Armrest adjustment

When I got the seat adjusted to suit me, the right armrest was too low and angled downward. I removed the armrest (forgot what size socket) and found the travel is limited by a pin in the seat running in a curved slot in the arm rest. I inserted a nut in the slot to limit the travel and after trying two different size nuts, it leveled out fine. I do wish it was a couple of inches longer.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 AM

Its uncomfortable to me so I just use the passenger's armrest.

Quick Reply: Can't reach Driver Armrest