Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Chrome Rings Not Staying On

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Chrome Rings Not Staying On

So I bought a set of chrome tail light rings, and put them on Saturday. Well I went out to the car tonight, and noticed the passenger side bottom is popping off. I applied them as per the directions, with the cleaning pad provided and everything...but this one doesn't want to stay on.

Did anyone else have this issue when putting them on? I don't want them to fall of while I'm driving...they cost enough.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:42 PM

you have to make sure they are on the right way they have direction. I have had mine on for over a year with no problems. You might want to get a little extra 3m tape. I cleaned around the tail light with alochol first then used the pad for the better adhesion.

kris
Old 09-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor

try cleaning again and reapply..sounds like maybe you still had wax or something on them..did you maybe miss one of the little red thingies on the back..i had my wife remove them with her nails as not to touch the tape..even hand oil will effect the tape and should not be damaged in anyway..get some new 3m tape..really cheap..reappy..clean with windex or somthing that will strip wax..mine are on like cement..dont think you could get them off if u wanted to..
Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 PM

I have never seen 3M tape... Where do I buy it at? How much is it typically? And does it come in strips as small as what are on the rings?

I thought I had all of the wax off of the lights, but maybe not. And I may have touched the tape...not sure. But I know I got all of the red stuff off, as I could see on the back of the ring tonight... Of course I'm going somewhere tomorrow... I should probably keep it off so I don't lose it, but I'll look like a dork missing one...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM

You can find the 3M tapes at nearly any auto parts store. They will have different width and thickness.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 PM

I'll have to pick some up on Monday at Auto Zone when I go to Clio... I just hope I don't lose it before then. I was able to stick it back on somewhat...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:07 PM

You have to be sure you put the correct rings on the correct lens. My wife's have been on now for 2+years with no problems. BUT, I had to take them all off at the beginning because two were not fitting right and were going to fall off. Mine were mismarked.

You can get the 3m tape at any parts store, just cut it to the size you need.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 PM

I put all of them on what they said they belonged on... Only one didn't quite fit right, and surprisingly that wasn't the one that gave me trouble...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Be sure it's the 3M automotive trim adhesive. The adhesive medium is black with a green peel off surface. Some foam based products that are white in color claim to do the same job, but cannot withstand repeated climatic swings in temp and humidity.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 PM

The stuff that came on it was gray colored, with red tape over it...?

Quick Reply: Chrome Rings Not Staying On