Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Clear-Corner Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Clear-Corner Lenses

I tried doing a search both here and other websites. All I found here was people that said they were going to take apart their headlights to take the amber reflector out of the light housing. Has anybody actually done this yet?
Also, do they make those bulbs that appear silver/chrome but glow amber for the HHR, or are those universal-fit?

Any/all help appreciated.. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't recall seeing anyone disassemble the stock lamp. Not sure offhand if the lens is heat-melted together or uses caulk. If the former it is possible to cut them apart and then re-seal with silicone. I've done that before on other lenses but it took several hours of careful cutting with a dremel.

To answer the second part of your question about the bulbs, the corner bulb is a 3157, we have those in Chrome/Amber, see here: http://www.truckshop.com/product.php?productid=18486
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
I tried doing a search both here and other websites. All I found here was people that said they were going to take apart their headlights to take the amber reflector out of the light housing. Has anybody actually done this yet?
Also, do they make those bulbs that appear silver/chrome but glow amber for the HHR, or are those universal-fit?

Any/all help appreciated.. Thanks!
I have seen one done. Hopefully Snoopy reads this and can provide more insite, as I will not get the correct terms and may mess a few things up.
There is some glue holding the headlight case. I think they said it was heated up to help soften it and started working it apart and did that over again till they go it off. Also I think they said the they amber colored housing has to be broken to take it out.
I know thats not much help but I know it can be done and is a pain from the way it sounded.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Former Sponsor

If that's the case then they would be easier to do than cutting. Still, not easy, but it can be done. The caulk will soften up in an oven or with a heat gun.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:29 PM

Here is the link from another forum that tells how to take apart headlights. Link
Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info... One more thing... I don't really want to do this to my stock headlights (time, might screw up.. can't drive w/o headlights)... So does anybody know what the part number for the lights is?

Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Retroburban's husband purchased an extra set of the light pods. After separating the clear from the shell, he painted the chrome interior, not used to directly reflect the light beam, to match the color of her HHR, Met. Red. It appears the lamp pods are composed of 3 sections that are "siliconed" together. He heated the units to a certain temp, which I do not recall, to gently separate the sections. I believe the amber reflecter would need to be cut out with a dremel like tool, to remove.

I suggest you PM Retroburban an ask if her husband could provide accurate disassembly.

One thing he an I agreed on......

Removing the original pods and replacing with the new painted ones, will be a chore. Appears like almost the entire front assembly, bumper, etc. will need to be removed.

Good luck....keep us informed
Old 04-10-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Retroburban's husband purchased an extra set of the light pods. After separating the clear from the shell, he painted the chrome interior, not used to directly reflect the light beam, to match the color of her HHR, Met. Red. It appears the lamp pods are composed of 3 sections that are "siliconed" together. He heated the units to a certain temp, which I do not recall, to gently separate the sections. I believe the amber reflecter would need to be cut out with a dremel like tool, to remove.

I suggest you PM Retroburban an ask if her husband could provide accurate disassembly.

One thing he an I agreed on......

Removing the original pods and replacing with the new painted ones, will be a chore. Appears like almost the entire front assembly, bumper, etc. will need to be removed.

Good luck....keep us informed

Thanks Snoopy knew I could count on you to help me out.

Now that I think about it for some reason I am thinking he heated them up to about temp of around 300. I could be wrong.
I would do what Snoopy said a PM Retro
Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 AM

between 250 to 300 for 15-20 minutes in a conventional oven should be enough to soften the silicone and pry them apart.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

The link provided by airborne is good info for the actual mod of the headlight pod. That person suggests 210 degrees for 20 minutes and I believe that was what I was told by Retro's husband.

But the removal process in that link is nothing like what it will entail to remove the pods from the HHR. Much more difficult.

Quick Reply: Clear-Corner Lenses